1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to both of my brothers - with dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Destin, May 29, 2018.

1. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents already knew I was gay, but no one had told my two brothers because both have some mental disabilities that makes it hard for them to understand things like this sometimes. They barely understand the dynamics of straight relationships, so no one wanted to try explaining what a gay relationship was to them. I felt they deserved to know though, so a few days ago when my boyfriend and I were invited to come over to my parents house I came out to them, and it went well.

It took some time to explain the concept of what gay is to them but once they got it they understood. One of them took it pretty neutrally and didn't seem to care one way or the other, which I take as a good thing since he wasn't upset about it. The other one had a good reaction I was very touched by - even though he's an adult the disability unfortunately keeps him at a mental age of about 8-10 so I was concerned he might be angry about things changing and making him uncomfortable.

All of us were playing with toy dinosaurs while trying to explain it, and we were kind of using the dinosaurs as props, with my boyfriend and I showing that our two male dinosaurs liked spending time with each other a lot just like the mom and dad dinosaurs do. Then I explained that it's not just dinosaurs that can enjoy spending time with another boy, and that my boyfriend and I liked spending time with each other too like the dinosaurs do - things like that.

After about an hour of dinosaur-playing my brother suddenly looked up and seemed to understand what we meant. He pointed to my boyfriend and said 'so you and him are like mom and dad and make each other happy?' so I said yes, and his response was to say 'I'm glad' then got up, hugged my boyfriend, said 'thank you for making my brother happy' and calmly returned to playing with his dinosaurs.

I don't know how to explain it, but there was just something so amazing about seeing someone who looks like an adult accept the news with the childlike innocence of thinking happy = good without any thoughts about the other things people get caught up in like whether it's morally right, and if if they can continue associating with the person or not etc.

I wish more people could see same-sex relationships in such a basic but completely true way without all the other stuff having to be involved.

I'm so glad my brother sees it that way. Happy = good, and that's all that really matters.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad it went well! I have little experience with people like your brothers, but I have to guess that use of toys indeed might help. If nothing else, I guess it's an excuse for an adult to play with toy dinosaurs!

I just hope your parents don't come along and wreck it with something like: "The reason we don't have dinosaurs now is that they got wrapped up in the 'Gay Lifestyle'" or something like that...

Destin likes this.
  3. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thats great congrats so happy for you

Destin likes this.