1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out - Then Being Faced With Disbelief

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sigillumdiaboli, Oct 5, 2013.

1. sigillumdiaboli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out to myself, then my friends, then family - and now in the process of slowly telling all my extended family members. Tonight I told my favourite cousin, and lo and behold, she had trouble believing me. I suppose this comes from the fact that I'm already just over 30 and used to be straight (well as straight as I thought I was, but I never really kissed a guy properly nor ever had a boyfriend).

I'm getting the feeling I'll need to show up at a party with another woman for people to finally believe me.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? (I'm quite positive it's not just me...)

2. enigmeow

Yes, when I came out, I was faced with even more denial then I had been going through.

"You used to date girls! Your not gay!"

Then, when I came out as bi,

"Your not bi.. your really gay but in denial".

At some point they gave up on labeling me at about the same time I stopped labeling myself

3. Femmeme

Yep, I'm "too feminine" and dated plenty of guys before I came out therefor I must not be queer.

I think the best way to respond to disbelief is to pat them on the head say "ok" and go on about your business. Your denyers are the ones that will end up feeling stupid as time goes by.

4. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's pretty annoying. It's what I expected to happen to me, but so far it hasn't. I am sure they will get the hint eventually. Or maybe you can confront it head on, 'You seem like you don't believe me - what's that all about?'

5. geeney1111

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  6. It happened to me as well. For years. My parents said they knew me well enough and 'you weren't born gay, this is just a phase, it's environmental," yadayadayada. Well they believe it now. Your cousin will come around. If not, don't stress. You know who you are, just live your life.