1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by And it exploded, Feb 14, 2018.

1. And it exploded

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wrote this for my mom (haven't sent) thoughts?

Hi mom, I have something very important to tell you and I'm doing it over text because it's too scary to tell you in person. I'm trans, and I like girls, which means I'm a straight man. I think you love me enough to believe me without going into the gory details but I will anyway. Ever scene I was young I knew I was different. At first I chalked it up to being gay, but then I noticed something else. I never liked being a girl. I always felt disconnected from being seen as female, I hate(d) when people call be a girl, I hate(d) my boobs, and I hate(d) being in one of the girl sections in choir. I actually had this theory when I was small that I was more chemically male (like in my brain) but something screwed up while you were pregnant and I popped out a girl. Yeah. have really bad dysphoria sometimes, in fact I think about hurting myself in various ways to appear more male. It's hard to describe, it feels like your body isn't yours. It's awful. It feels like there's an alien trapped inside your body that wants to be free. I know you might think this is a phase or L I B R A L P R O P O G A N D A I N F E C T I N G M Y B R A I N or something. It's ok. I know this is just as hard for you as it is me and I'll learn to forgive you if you don't accept me.

Now as for what will have to change. The first step of transition is social transition. This basically means that I want you to call me Winston, get a short haircut, purge most of my clothes, and wear a binder. A binder is essentially a really tight bra that makes my chest look flat. You can buy one online. The second step is hormone blockers. This basically stops female puberty from progressing for a time. These first two steps are completely reversible and act as a safety net. Unfortunately I'm not actually a wizard and I can't see into the future, so this may not be what's right for me. But you can't see into the future either, remember that. The next step, if I choose to take it, would be getting testosterone. This makes irreversible changes to my body to make me look more male. In Minnesota I need to get a parent's consent to start hormone therapy before 18. I'll inform you when I want to start. The last step is surgery, which is pretty far down the line. I can get top surgery, which is when One gets there breasts surgically removed. And bottom surgery, which gives me a penis. I want you to watch this video: we need to talk about how we feel about this to each other, and, as I said, this is very hard for both of us. And no matter what you do I'll learn to forgive you if you can forgive me. I just want you to know that I love you and I want you in my life. Take care

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The most important consideration is how you feel about your letter. I do have some thoughts that I will share below, but it is your letter and you must be happy with it.

If it was me I wouldn't suggest that you will forgive your mom, if she forgives you, because neither of you need forgiveness. When we talk about forgiveness it kind of implies that someone or something is wrong and it's better to keep the idea of rights and wrongs out of it, wherever possible.

It's good that you acknowledge how difficult this will be for your mom and I think you should say "I would like" you to do this for me, rather than I want/need you to do this. I know the latter statement is more accurate, but it can seem rather pushy and assertive and seems to reject the idea that this might be hard for your mom. Does that make sense? I would also remove the capitalised term "liberal propaganda infecting my brain". I don't think it adds anything to the letter and might open up a whole can of worms.

Point your mom to some good support resources like PFLAG. This article might be useful for her too: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...transgender-youth_us_5915beaae4b02d6199b2ee3f

Again, these are all my suggestions and you don't have to take any of them on board, but I just think you need to soften the letter without diluting the main point.

3. And it exploded

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cool cool, also update I told my therapist today and she was good about it

4. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Omg this sounds so much like my own coming out letter. It's sad that people don't take our word for it and we have to explain it doesn't it?

Honestly thank god thank god you are going all the way and saying you are trans. Don't back out of it. Tell them you are trans, and not just "into girls." I am just the house lesbian until I figure out some way to get everyone to believe I'm a guy. It's a f---ing nightmare for me right now to be seen as a woman. I'd rather be treated as a woman and be able to resist it than to live the way I ahve been and pretend I am a girl.