1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out, is it important to you?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mabel, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    with just the few people I’ve talked to lately about my sexuality and about me telling my kids etc.....I get really mixed reviews.

Some don’t understand why I need to come out at all. I know others (that are lgbtq) that want it all to stay a secret, it’s just not worth the drama to them.

For me I just really want the people closest to me to know. Because I have kids I feel it’s important because they know something is up with me and their dad. Then it extends to anyone who cares for them knows, in case things come up. It’s all about helping them have an idea of what’s going on and preparing them for challenges ahead. I also want people to know so I can be seen as me, because I don’t have a same sex partner it’s not obvious. I’m a discreet person and I want it all to be as discreet as possible, but It’s still important to me. Am I crazy about wanting to just have people know? I could easily keep slipping under the radar and not cause any stress to my kiddos what so ever. I don’t see myself in a relationship anytime soon and I will be divorced but still living with my husband and kids (separate rooms)....

It’s all so complicated and I’m wondering if I’m causing everyone undue stress?

LostInDaydreams and Leela80 like this.
  2. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see any real need to come out. It's a personal choice to do so, and I did because I had come to the realization after questioning for years that I am bisexual and felt those who matter to me should know. Have largely left it alone since because why bother? I live alone and don't do much when not at work, so why should I go out of my way to make sure people I only see for a few minutes a day to a few hours on certain days when our shifts align know that I'm bisexual when I'm not seeing anybody and their knowing I am won't impact their lives overmuch because I don't have much if anything at all to do with them outside of work. My family, certain dear friends, and should I start dating, my partner will know, that's enough for me.

You want people to know, go head. You only want certain people to know like I do, that's fine, too. There's no right or wrong here, methinks.

3. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It was very important for me, I needed to feel free in public. Im very colorful so it was either out or hide my true self.

#3 Jackie Ray, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    dreamingfreely and Mabel like this.
  4. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never actually "came out" as I've always been out. That said? Being out is very important to me, yes, and I am not shy about correcting those that get it wrong (usually in a relaxed and easy-going manner). I would not enjoy living a lie or lying to others. Life is too short for all that extra stress and dishonesty and deceit to be a part of my life.

Manipular and Mabel like this.
  5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would agree with Twist. Coming out is really only something I did with my parents some twenty-five years ago. Being out--everywhere--is very important to me. I'm me and I don't censor or hide it.

Twist and Mabel like this.
  6. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My family and close friends know because I wanted them to know the true me. Also it might be preparing them if I ever have another relationship. My luck I will have to explain it again. It also made me happy to tell them.

Mabel likes this.
  7. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I had always been put. I wish I had understood enough. I’m not an outgoing person in general so I wish I didn’t have to come out to have people see me as me, but my circumstances and living situation scream hetero and it’s not me. I’m learning now that it’s so not me that it was causing me so much angst and depression to pretend it was...even before I knew I was pretending.

My ex gf though....she does not feel the need to come out. It’s part of why we broke up. I could no stand hiding and she is very private. She would lose everything in her life if she were to come out, so I understand that. The mystery to me is she doesn’t find it emotionally necessary to her well being and I do. I feel so weak in thinking I just can’t hide anymore and be ok. I don’t want a billboard, I just want to be seen as me...

dreamingfreely likes this.
  8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never officially came out- everyone else knew before I did. That said, I think it's important if you want to live an authentic life. Many gay people do not want to date someone in the closet.

9. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I felt like I couldn't keep it in any longer like I might explode if I didn't tell them. It was giving me anxiety so I told them:

Leela80, Jackie Ray and Mabel like this.
  10. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ve gotten that from some of the few I have come out to. It was not news to them. One of my husbands friends said he even knew when he met my gf that she was just that. He said we just seemed Like a couple.

I’m would not blame someone for not wanting to date someone In The closet. I don’t really see anyone wanting to date me anyways, much less knowing I live with my ex husband. It’s really about not feeling invisible.

dreamingfreely likes this.
  11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you feel weak because you want to stop hiding and come out? In my experience coming out requires more strength than hiding. We come out when we reach a point where the costs of staying in the closet exceed the benefits of being in the closet. It appears that you've reached that tipping point and are ready for the next step.

#11 SiennaFire, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  12. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess this is just one of those facets that’s hard for me. I know for her, she couldn’t stand to hurt her family like that. She also doesn’t feel the NEED to have people see all of who she is. Holding hands with her in public was such a liberating experience for me, in addition to have our relationship be seen and celebrated. She just liked to hold my hand. I guess it’s understanding the need to be seen and known vs. just being and not needing to feel that. I always thought anyone in these shoes would have that need but she doesn’t. I guess that makes me feel weak, or question whether I’m being selfish to need that.

13. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Reaching the tipping point....that id such a good descriptive...

14. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This statement is loaded with homophobia and makes me sad. It's clear that she has chosen to hide herself from her family because of shame; it's not clear whether the shame is generated from internalized homophobia (she feels bad about being gay) or externalized homophobia (the family hates gays). Either way, this is not the sort of behavior I would idolize or model.

I'm not familiar with her situation (other than she does not want to hurt her family). If she's not out her choices are counterproductive per the next paragraph. If she's been out for some time, I get that not everybody needs or wants to make their daily life a pride parade.

Since you are still coming out, though the following applies to you and should help you understand why you should not feel weak, selfish, or any other negative emotion. People come out initially for themselves - specifically to share their secret and unburden themselves in the process. So much emotional damage is caused by having to hide who you are from the world and coming out starts the process of healing the damage. I go into more detail in the section Rediscovering yourself in authenticity in my blog.

Please don't compare yourself to her and feel weak or selfish. You are doing what you need to do and are strong and assertive!

#14 SiennaFire, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Mabel likes this.
  15. Lukecetion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About coming out? No, I don't really care. I never had the "urge" to reveal anything about me to anyone unless it was relevant to the current situation. That goes for my sexuality as well. I mean, I didn't "come out" to my parents until I literately brought a dude home and said we were dating. If someone asks me if I am gay, I will answer honestly, though I found just tell them out of nowhere. If I was to introduce myself in a setting where my sexuality would play a role, such in a forum like this, then it would be relevant to say it. Though if I was to introduce myself casually in a normal setting, like meeting someone for the first time, then it isn't relevant to go; "Oh and btw I am gay".

The reason I have never cared isn't because I am not afraid that people will not judge me. I know people judge me for everything I do or say, or even how I look. That is human nature. Though I've been witness to more than my fair share of unhappiness at the hands of trying to cover something up because you are afraid of what will happen if it is revealed. That pain, that annoyance and those problems will all arrive at some point anyhow. It is better to just meet it head-on, deal with and move on with your life.

16. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with SiennaFire. Coming out definitely does require more strength than hiding! Hiding is unhealthy.

17. CoraFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes to the bolded!

The short version:

I don't think I would've ever "come out" in the official sense if it hadn't been for meeting, falling in love with AND being in a committed relationship with my girlfriend. I've come out in the sense that I tell people, "...and this is my girlfriend, M..." when meeting people.
    I came out to my parents when I said, "Yes, I am seeing someone. Her name is M."

The only time I've "outed" myself to people in a "label" format is when they ask, "So you're gay now?" And I get to have the wonderful and educational conversation (rooted in love) of "That's not how this works..."

The longer version:

I've posted elsewhere that I knew I was "nonstraight" at 13. In college, I had flings but nothing I would put a label on. I was also living in a major metropolitan area, so I don't think anyone in my social circles really cared. I knew my parents would flip (at the time), so the comfort of staying closeted to them, and also feeling minimally restricted in my day-in/day-out was fine.

Later on in life, I contemplated "coming out" as my professional career put me in more advocacy and ally type roles (in Texas of all places). I wanted to show solidarity with the community and say, "I love you. And I'm one of you." However, at that point I was happily married (and monogamous) with a man who knew I was "bi" and generally didn't care. Again, I felt like coming out on a larger scale would just be weird for my (then) husband and unnecessary because "Why broadcast a sexual orientation that will be irrelevant in practice?"

*^^proceed to shorter version above^^*

Conclusion: Coming out seems to be less important to me than it is to other people in my life who are trying to understand me. That being said, I believe it would've been a lot more important to me at earlier points in my life. At this point however, if my sexual orientation is the thing that is more interesting to you about me, you're probably not someone I want to know.

#17 CoraFrost, Oct 22, 2017
    ConfusedTi likes this.
  18. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m glad you responded @SiennaFire because I feel this is a complicated issue for me to tease out. From your posts around you seem to have such a grasp on this issue in general.

I should clarify and give more info about her situation. She is bi, when found each other we both though we were bi. That changed for me as I got mor insight along the way. She grew up a ministers daughter, she now lives near and takes care of those parents as they grow older. She is married and has not told he husband about her sexuality or me. Because she is bi and still loves him very much she does not want to leave that situation. If she did tell him she is confident he would divorce her and the whole thing would blow up. Her parents would find out and be shunned by their community, they would in turn shun her. One of her siblings is also a minister and the other conservative with a very religious wife. The religion is Assembly of God and is known for being very brimstone, moreso than the most conservative baptists. So she would see a loss of everyone if she came out. So plenty reason for her to want to remain silent.

The thing is, I could not in a million years let that be my fate. As soon as I knew anything I talked to my husband about it. I would rather die than to hold this in. My girls most likely will go through tough times. I’ve seen my husband hurt. It’s not going to be easy financially, but in order to be seen, I have to tell my kids and anyone close to them. I don’t want to keep trying not to slip in fear my girls will hear it from someone else. I don’t know ,just tons of reasons. And my parents and siblings, I’ve always have been outspoken in my beliefs and ways. Because of that, I’m already pretty low on their list. So I’m not worried their, what happens happens, they may be dissapointed and hurt but that’s never been hard to do, really. I would have to be a completely person in so many ways to not dissapoint them.

So in her situation I would say the homophobia involved is mostly external. I worry though, her no longer having an outlet other than our friendship is huge. From day one it’s been obvious this is part of her but a really HUGE part. She shows no shame with me at all. I have always felt that out of the two of us I was the one that showed the most internal homophobia, because as long as we were together I had to keep quiet to my kids and her family. That’s always puzzled me, she took great risks around her family. She had me visit a few times. It always puzzled me that someone who was so afraid of hurting everyone in her life could be so confident in her sexuality with me. It was a long distance relationship so my visits there were short and few. So I have no clue if she is going to be ok in the long run, how will she deal. I worry a lot. I feel because I’m so immersed in the relationship that I’m dissonant and there is something I’m being naive to. It’s also frustrating because I can’t, as a friend, encourage her in any way to come out. There would be so much weight with that. I wouldn’t want her to do anything out of grief for us and what we had or could have if she did come out. That’s not my place.

The other thing to clarify that was confusing in my post is that it was a long distance relationship so every other time we got together was us meeting somewhere in between. A random place where no one knew us. That was when he had the opportunity to hold hands in public and be a couple. She liked those meet ups because we didn’t have other ties and responsibilities and we could just be free to do whatever. I liked them for that, but I NEEDED them for the visibility. That was different from her, she didn’t feel that need. So why do I feel that need and she doesn’t. She also isn’t the only person I know who doesn’t care enough to not hide and I don’t get that. It’s just so huge to me.

Obviously somewhere in my head I think I’m doing the right thing because I told my oldest daughter (11) that I was gay today. I’ve been talking to their therapist and mine about doing that for quite sometime. Today the right moment and the right conversation came up and I couldn’t not do it. So over the next few days I may be posting on how that is going. She took it well and I was prepared to answer all her questions simply. So phew, I did that...

19. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on this very important milestone! This was scary for me as well, and I discovered that today's generation is more open minded than ours, especially in the more liberal areas of New England.

FWIW - You are doing the right things based on what you've posted. I've been around this block, so I'm not going to pretend that it's easy, but it's worth it when I hold my BF and find joy in day-to-day living that eluded me before coming out.

I'll try to respond tomorrow to the details about her and your interactions with her.

#19 SiennaFire, Oct 22, 2017
    Mabel likes this.
  20. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In reading your posts, it seems to me that you are doing what you need to be doing by coming out to and divorcing from your husband, coming out to your daughters, etc. I'm not entirely sure where the self-doubt is coming from, other than using your ex- as a yard stick. You seem to idolize her and her choices, suggesting that her not having the need to tell people was something that you looked up to.

Here's my take (and yes this is a little harsh).

Your ex- is in the closet and is cheating on her husband. This is not something a strong person would do. She's not telling her family because she wants to have her cake and eat it too. This behavior is inauthentic and not something I would idolize. If she really wanted to live authentically, she could come out and leave the church before they had a chance to shun her. It's possible that she's stuck because she has a great deal of conflict and internalized homophobia since she was raised in this religion as a pastor's daughter and learned that being gay is a major sin growing up. Either way, there is no reason for you to question your choices because of hers.

While she is an important part of your journey, I feel that you should try and stop worrying about her so much, be there for her if she wants to talk, and look to find love with somebody who is single and available.

#20 SiennaFire, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017