1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Coming out is a public health concern. (and more)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by revi, Feb 1, 2013.

1. revi

revi Guest

Gay and Bi Men Are Happier Than Straight Dudes | Advocate.com

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. PianoNate

I know I'm happier ... and my body is reflecting it too. I've lost 30 lbs since coming out without even really trying!!

4. As much as I'd like for this to be true all around, there are places where coming out gets your head bashed in and that is a big public health concern.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, so true!

The study took place in my home town, where being gay is less likely to lead to that outcome (so to speak).

But on a personal level anyway, there does seem to be a net physical benefit...

6. Alex368

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is a really interesting study, I can access the full journal through my university, what the paper has failed to take into account how long/far along people were in their "coming out"

They tested 45 LGB persons 14 of which had not come out, and 42 heterosexual persons.

If you look at the size of their sample population 14/87 is not a huge group to be basing your results, when you do an internal comparison of the 14 who had not yet disclosed vs the 31 who had the stats gain a little more credibility.

Im not saying that their results are wrong in any way, just saying that it would be interesting if they did a further study with only LGB participants to gain more accurate results, I like that they tested biologically for stressors and not just with a psych assessment.

They do mention that while coming out may reduce stress and improve mental and physical health that the disclosure period can actually cause more stress and health issues short term depending on how that goes with friends and family.

Hopefully soon i get the courage to take that step!

--
    Alex

#6 Alex368, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  7. Incognito10

Fortunately, I am in a very gay-friendly region of the US. So for me, this is true, coming out did in fact make me feel much more of a happy person. Much of my anxieties, repressions and depression faded after being honest with myself and others. I finally feel as if I can "get on" with the rest of my life...education, career, hopefully one day a family. Coming out definitely did my mental health well.

8. Expect more misery when same sex marriage is legal :lol:

9. Cthulhu

Probably makes sense from a physiological perspective, as coming out could relieve some stress among gay/bi individuals (and, possibly, trans, too).