1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out As Trans

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Orange Bananas, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Orange Bananas

How should I come out as trans to my family? They're pro-LGBT and they don't mind me being bi, but being trans is so much bigger. I don't know if I could ever find the courage to come out, but wearing a bikini my mom bought me 5 days a week for swim camp is TORTURE. I've been slowly switching from femininity to androgyny, but it can only go so far. Any suggestions?

2. akhc

I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with trans issues. but if your family is already pro-LGBT (emphasis on the T i guess) then it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to tell them a bit more about yourself?

You might first try telling your mom you want to wear something different when you go swimming like a one-piece (im not sure if that any better...im really bad with female swim attire). I mean you're already going from more fem to androgyny so it might just be easier to tell them if you continue to slowly transition until either ur parents want to bring it up or u feel comfortable doing so

again im sorry if this isnt what you're looking for, im trying :slight_smile:

3. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If they are pro-T, you'll probably won't have many issues by telling them. If they don't know that much about the Trans community, be prepared in case they start asking you questions.

4. Call Me Alec

Out Status:
    A few people
    You could try 'testing the waters,' like discussing transgender issues with them, or talking about a transgender friend (if you don't have a transgender friend, you could act like you do). If they react positively you can sit them down and tell it to them straight, or leave little hints about transitioning around- hair, clothing, etc. It's all about what you're comfortable with Just be prepared for questions about your personal gender expression and feelings.

As for your swimming suit issue- I've seen androgynous people wear something like a bikini top and swim trunks, or if it's safe a binder and swim trunks.