1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as trans to my parents advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Roberto909, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Roberto909

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone , I have been living outside of my country for a year now, I did it in order to live my life as a trans (mtf) and I'm going back to my hometown for my sisters wedding, I'm sure I want to come out to them, but I don't know how I should do it,
    I already bought a beautiful long dress for the wedding, but I'm not sure if I should wear it, I don't know if I should arrive to my house dressed up as a girl to tell them about this or just try to dress as a guy and tell them, maybe it will be less shock for them, what do you think ?
    I dream to wear my new dress to the wedding but I don't know if the time is right..

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is your sisters day, and I understand that you want to live as your authentic self, but I personally wouldn't go back home dressed femininely if this is their first time seeing you after a year or so. It may come as a shock to them and it may not go as you originally planned. I understand that you are probably very excited about wearing your new dress, but I would show up dressed in what you would normally wear.

Are your parents/family supportive or against the LGBT community? Whether they're for or against it, I wouldn't recommend springing the news on them by showing up a dress. You've had how many years to process your feelings, whereas your family will be hearing your news for the first time, and you may not be able to judge how they're going to react.

If you are considering coming out to them, make sure you are safe and that you have a backup plan in case anything goes wrong or backfires on you. Also, if you want to watch your sister get married, I would probably advise you to come out after the wedding in case things do backfire.

3. Roberto909

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are probably right about it , i shouldn't wear my dress ..The thing is that the wedding is 3 weeks before I arrive, so maybe I can come out to them dressed as a guy and then see how the things are going for the weeding, I don't think I could stand 3 weeks wearing guy clothes..