1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as not FTM

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by maxisokay, May 10, 2020.

1. maxisokay

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello guys! I don't know if this particularly belongs in the "Coming Out" section because it's technically different I believe. Anyways, in early April I came out as FTM. I will admit that I rushed myself to this decision and was extremely stubborn and didn't listen to the advice of my friends. I truly believed I was FTM trans. I even told the public on social media that I was. I recently just figured out that that is not truly who I am. I am comfortable as both genders (genderqueer I believe). I am afraid to tell the public (I told my friends and they've been nothing but supportive). I am afraid to tell the public because I am afraid that they'll think I did this as a joke and I'm also afraid that people will think that I kinda invalidated (?) actual transgenders. I would appreciate some advice about coming out as not FTM and how to make it sound like I'm not joking (It's hard because I am known as a joker). Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it can be hard to explain to people what genderqueer is. That's a big reason why I haven't come out. It's common for people to be confused about their gender, and to think that they're one thing, but maybe they're not. I've never identified as binary trans, so I know what it's like to worry about what the transgender community might think, but you are certainly valid in your gender identity. That's the best advice I can give. You said your friends are supportive, which is great. If people question whether you are joking, you have people to back you up.

3. ConfusedBiGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there, I am a cis-woman so I can't strictly relate, but wanted to offer you support. Although it is not the same I sort of understand how you feel in regards to coming out/identifying one way and then not being sure if that was the right 'label' for you, because I still haven't found a label I identify with fully when it comes to my sexual orientation. I know I don't need to tell you this but sexuality and gender is completely fluid and on a spectrum, people shift their position on the spectrum all the time or learn about a new title that they better identify with. I don't think anyone will think you are 'invalidating' trans people, but instead be understanding that you have grown more comfortable with a different label.

In regards to what the public think, it is none of their business, if you want to tell them in order for them to gender you correctly etc then of course you can make people aware but nobody can tell you you have done wrong because it is your life and you can live it in the way that makes you most comfortable. Your friends are the most important people and they have your back, you are not alone and whatever the reaction is I am sure they will continue support you.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do will be the right thing.