1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aquacanis, Dec 30, 2019.

1. aquacanis

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How do I come out as Bisexual to parents? I dunno what to say and I dunno how to hint it or anything? I almost find it easier to say im gay cos then i could deny i like ppl of opposite gender but like its not like that and im scared my parents will tell me its just a phase.
    I already started to test the waters a bit saying it but idk what else to say and i dont feel comfortable saying anything. And we never talk about relationships, dating or anything in the family. I don't know or follow any celebrities who are lgbt so i wouldnt talk about that. The most ive said is lgbt issues in the news.

2. LostJedi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is a tough one, and one that I haven't quite figured out myself. Part of me is waiting for the right time, hoping that they say something remotely associated as a way to start a conversation. Certainly, being out to parents would make it easier to be out to everyone.

The only thing I would suggest is being authentic to yourself. If you are bi, then own that identity. Nothing good can come from pretending to be someone you aren't.

As for bi celebrities, you may be surprised by how many you already know: https://bi.org/en/famous-bi-people

Brandon15 and Fritzcoop like this.
  3. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi aquacanis,

First off, you are not required to come out if there is something scary about how your parents will react. Do this at your own pace.
    Also, I’ve found when I feel confident in myself it doesn’t matter so much if other people try to discount what I say. What I know about me inside is what is true, not how others have their issues with it. So I guess I’m saying “so what if parents respond that it is just a phase?” But yeah, I get it that having approval of the people who raised you does give a boost. Maybe the prep work with your parents isn’t so much talking about celebrities who are bi, but instead find stories about people who were not believed, or were belittled, and ask your parents what they think of that.

Drizzle and LostJedi like this.
  4. Brandon15

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can always wait till you're older, but if you really want to come out now, something that worked for my friends is go to a teacher you trust a lot (or the leader of a lgbtq+ club) and ask them for advice. Best of luck!

5. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Be yourself. Talking to parents about most things can be difficult. See if there are any bisexual groups for your age in your area. Or any group with GLBTQ issues. Pflag may have meetings in your area too.

6. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even if there are no groups close to you, there may be a way to connect to others near you through Pflag.