1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out...Again

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Galah2, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Galah2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First off, hello all! Hope you're having a wonderful day. My question is a little odd, but hopefully I can get some good feedback here. (and I know, it's a long post...sorry!)

I recently moved off to start college, and am living in the dorms there. It's about 1000km+ from home where I am now, so I don't know much about the social climate. Additionally, I was pretty young when I came out (the first time, about 8th grade) so I didn't have much to think about. It was kind of an impulse the first time around, coming out. I was like "hey, I'm gay and I know it so why the hell not?" one day at lunch.

Anyways, I've been comfortably out for 5+ years. Aaand now I'm at college. Several hundred miles from home, and this morning, I woke up and I was like "holy hell I'm not out anymore!" and it hit me that I'm gonna have to do that all over again. I've unceremoniously re-closeted. But...how am I supposed to do this?? I need your help, seriously. I want to get it right this time because impulsively blurting personal details isn't so much my style anymore. Thoughts??

2. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you want to, you can fly a rainbow flag or wear a rainbow pin (like I do). That, or you can just not come out at all, and just say it when people ask.

3. ABeautifulMind

There are tshirts that say im not gay but my boyfriend is... or other little humorous things like that...

Other than that, I would suggest frequenting LGBT support groups/events at your school... Most colleges and universities have something...

Best of Luck with your closet conundrum :grin:

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just ask, Galah2, why make a big deal about it? The 'closet' is an artificial construction that LGBTQ people create. Straight people have never seen nor been in our closet; it doesn't actually exist to them. Presumably all of the friends and family you care about already know. So, why not just treat it casually and just answer honestly if someone asks or if you get hit on by a guy - otherwise, it's really nobody's business and no big deal.

Just my thoughts.

Take Care! Stay proud and strong!:slight_smile:

#4 Quantumreality, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016