1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out advice after coming out to my mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by basicavocados, Feb 21, 2017.

1. basicavocados

I came out to my mom yesterday and it really didn't go as well as I had hoped it would.
    She was "supportive", but I came out as gay (after- somewhat- secretly identifying as bisexual for the last year) and it very much came off as she didn't believe me.
    Some backstory: I've been starting to identify as lesbian in the last couple months and I no longer feel like I identify as bi anymore and that is why I chose to come out as gay. However, I've been dating a guy for the last 7 months and my biggest fear about coming out to my family was that they wouldn't believe me because I have been dating a guy for so long.
    But anyways, she very much treated me like she thinks I'm bi and accused me of using "gay" as an excuse to break up with my boyfriend. As well as saying that I have "lived a sheltered life for the last year" and she thinks that there are other boys out there that I would like and asked me if there has been any girls I've been around that made me think I was gay.
    I was extremely taken aback and shocked by this reaction, because she is usually very open to things like this and I didn't know what to say to her.
    But I came out to her because I wanted to finally feel like I could truly be me and be able to come out to the new friends I've made since moving to a new state over the summer. But since talking to her I've been feeling really depressed and anxious and like I need to hide my sexuality from everyone.
    How do I express how I feel to my mom and feel like I can finally really be me?:help:

2. Margaret

I'm sorry she reacted that way. Honestly I'd say give it time, if she see's your not dating other guys or being influenced by friends she will probably change her mind eventually. I think you just have to wait it out for now, or maybe show her this post if your feeling bold? Hope that's helpful, best wishes :slight_smile:

3. Monina

My mom had a similar reaction, since my situation is quite similar to yours. I was in a long relationship with a guy and even engaged until I broke up. Now I have a girlfriend and came out two months ago but she doesn't believe me. What I've decided to do is just give her time to process everything and so she sees my relationship is durable and serious. I'll give her a year to assimilate things. After that, I will distance myself if she doesn't accept it. Maybe you can do something similar??