1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closeted, scared, and new to this forum

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by mellissa, Mar 26, 2020.

1. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is just based off of a documentary I saw about him. In it they explained that most of his sculptures had an unfinished quality to them. There were parts on the statues that looked untouched. He was very meticulous and took the time to give the sculpture human characteristic down to Jesus' arm veins in The Deposition, David's hand veins, and Moses curls in the sculpture Moses. However, there were time where he purposefully left parts of the marble to look untouched. If you look at Pieta Rondanini, Bacchus, Apollo, and more, they look unfinished. However, they weren't that is just how he liked to complete his sculptures. Yet, Pieta has this smooth marble where every inch of Jesus and Mary was meticulously thought out. Not even David is that perfect. Although he did do an excellent job on David.

I hope this makes sense. I wish I could remember the documentary.

2. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I did some digging. Do you mean non finito?

3. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I looked that term up as well because I'm not an art expert and essentially yes. He purposefully left parts of his sculptures to look less detailed than other parts. He used this technique often. The Pieta, is a rare exception. Every part of that sculpture was carefully chiseled. Mary's clothes alone must've have taken him months to do. I see a lot of dedication in that sculpture and I respect that.

Is there a particular type of art that you like? Whether it is from a particular era? uses certain techniques? Or follow common themes?
    Warning: I'm going to bed now, because I have online school. I might not answer until 10 am.

Sleep peacefully Corax

Mellissa

4. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Favorite overall genre is definitely Art Nouveau. I also like symbolism, romanticism, the Decadent movement. I love gold leaf and chiaroscuro. Shiny and dark is my jam.

Some famous artists I like, other than Klimt: Franz von Stuck, Gustave Moreau, Gaston Busière, Arnold Böcklin, George Frederick Watts, I could round up more, but I'm getting tired lmao.

5. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow you definitely have rich taste in art. I don't know much about art techniques/genres/eras. I just like to look at anything I find fascinating. Michelangelo is the only artist whom I've done some research into.

I'm sorry for getting back to you so late. I had a lot of work to do. We are practicing injections and trachea suctioning in our online class.
    I know that you are out of school, but do you study anything?

6. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's no worries. Real life takes precedence. That sounds exciting! I've always been fascinated by anatomy. I'm kind of a self taught Renaissance Man. I study a lot of different things, like having a lot of different skills. It's all I can do to pass the time some days. Linguistics and etymology, animal behavior/comparative psychology, taxonomy, microbiology, exobiology, history, sociology/anthropology are all some of my current interests. Pure mathematics are one of the only things that really bores me lol. I like learning new things.

7. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I always wanted to know more about sociology and anthropology. I had to take a course in sociology once and it really opened my eyes. Which societies do you find most interesting? Do you speak any languages other than English? I speak French and Creole.

8. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love researching extinct cultures and cultures that haven't been exposed to Abrahamic religion. But my main focus is on culture creation as part of my conworld project. I speak Spanish pretty well. I took a couple years of German and Latin as well. I'm lazily working on Old Norse.

#68 Corax, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great, I hope it helps :slight_smile:

10. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That is so nice. Where did you learn German and Latin? I know that in the U.S Spanish is taught almost everywhere. There are a lot of Spanish classes up here as well, but I never had them. If you want to learn languages that haven't been exposed to Abrahamic religion why not go for one of the Eastern dialects such as (Hindi, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, Thai, and more). Granted learning these languages is not easy for us English speakers especially at our age.

11. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Corax,
    How are you? I was away for a while. Sorry.