1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closeted, scared, and new to this forum

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by mellissa, Mar 26, 2020.

1. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi
    I'm new. I just signed up today. Does anybody know what to do when you really want to come out, but your family is super homophobic. I'm still in college and need my family to support me financially so that is what keeps me from telling them. Yet, I feel this burning need to tell somebody about this.

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC Mellissa,

You get to decide who you come out to, and when it is the right time. If some people are not the ones you are comfortable telling (like your brother and conservative family), then pick folks who are comfortable. And being here on Empty Closets helps too, because you can post as your real self without it getting back to anyone you might not be ready to tell.

3. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you. I told only a few LGBT students at my school. There is an Umbrella club at my school and I talk to some of the members there in secret. I talk to them only in secret because a) I'm scared of telling most of my friends. b) I'm part of the christian fellowship at my school and lets just say that the LGBT club and the Christian club are not cozy. That is another thing that irks me. I'm a devout christian, and so I feel like my sexual orientation is a sin. I worry that I'm disappointing God for being a lesbian. The more I think about sexual orientation and my faith, the more I consider going to conversion therapy.

4. appleotome

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's okay, honey! You're allowed to come out whenever you feel ready. Personally, only the people on this Forum know my sexuality, and if you wanna tell someone how you feel then it's totally up to you. If you are afraid you'll get hurt, however, make sure you call for help in any immediate danger. Don't sit and let ANYONE, even your family, mistreat you for who you are. Remember to stand up for yourself and speak your mind, even if your voice shakes. <3

5. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank
    Thank you. Its just scary. I feel bad about being a lesbian, because I'm a christian. I read the bible and wonder if I should go to conversion therapy or be celibate.

6. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I'll be upfront and say that I'm an atheist. But I grew up, and still live in a very strict Christian home.

The Bible only talks very vaguely about homosexuality a handful of times. And the nuance of those phrases are largely lost in a modern translation and context.

There are a number of other inane, dated concepts that are no longer regarded as sins, because we acknowledge they have no place in modern society. And some of them are mentioned more than homosexuality is. Likewise there are things mentioned in the Bible as being acceptable, even righteous that modern day folks have (rightly) dismissed as barbaric and inhumane.

Cornerstones of modern Christianity are that Jesus died for your sins so that you do not have to punish yourself. God made you in his image and loves you unconditionally. If you accept Jesus into your heart, you're going to heaven, no matter what you've done here on Earth. Forgiveness and compassion are vital, and let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Christians can be assholes. But your relationship is with your God, not with them. You don't have to prove your worth to God. He knows all the ugly bits and all the beautiful bits, and he still loves you. Don't punish yourself for being the person that he loves.

I could talk more on the subject, but I'm on my phone which makes copy/paste and long replies difficult lol.

7. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you. Your really helpful. I just feel like I'm letting God down. I shouldn't have but I read a lot of conversion therapy material and listen to videos of people saying they have turned from gay/trans to straight/cisgender. It makes me think that maybe I'm not working hard enough to be a good person.

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey a lot of people struggle to balance religion and sexuality but it can definitely be done. I would definitely discourage you from going to conversion therapy there is really no evidence that it works.

Have you tried looking if there are any LGBT friendly churches near where you are?

9. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Conversion therapy is brainwashing at best and torture at worst. It isn't supported by mainstream science, and definitely isn't going to make you feel better about yourself. Hang in there. ❤️

10. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't found any churches like that. This is really complicated because I feel like accepting my sexuality would be something sinful. I watched videos and read stories about people who say that they changed from gay/trans to straight/cisgender. The religious part of me wants to try that because maybe it will work. Yet, the scientific part of me doesn't believe it works. It is so confusing.

11. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When your parents saw you with the blue-haired girl did they threaten to bring you to a reparative therapist?

12. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How did you do it to come out to everyone? I ask because I want to find the strength to not be scared to tell people.

13. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Remember, it used to be considered more righteous to have child brides, brides claimed through rape, multiple wives, slave wives, and wives stolen as war prizes than to be in a same sex relationship. I personally think those things are far worse than earnestly loving someone. And the Church kind of breezes over that fact when it lambastes homosexual relationships.

14. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry, missed your reply to me. Luckily they didn't think that we were a couple, just that she was a bad influence on me. So I was barred from hanging out with her anymore.

15. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Corax,
    Do you want to use one specific thread for our conversations? Like I wrote in your thread. I think that we should use one thread to have all of our conversations because I realize that we have been having two different conversations in two different threads. I get kinda confused when I see a reply and I don't know what we were talking about that would warrant such a response. If not we can keep doing this but I might be slow to answer.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took me quite a while to work up to coming out, it can be really scary. The area you live in is it particularly conservative and homophobic or are there parts which are more accepting?
    You will find the strength when the time is right.

17. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Canada in general is quite progressive. Plus, I live close to a major city. The problem is my inner circle. My family and my close friends(many are in my Christian club at school) are very conservative. Nobody in my family is tolerant of gay/trans/ queer people.

18. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We can do that lol. I'm not sure where the appropriate place would be. I think there's supposed to be a profile chat or something, but I haven't tried it yet.

19. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We can stay here or go to your thread. It's your call.

20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a shame but perhaps there is a way you can start meeting some people outside of your inner circle so that when you do feel like it is the right time to come out you have a support network. Do you have any accepting friends?