1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classical Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Marlowe, Jul 31, 2011.

1. greeneyes

wow this is a great thread! I love and sing classical music =)

this is already a great list, but I thought I would add some modern/contemporary works to the pile=

Barber's Cello Concerto in A Minor (well played by Yo-Yo Ma, shocker)
    Barber's A Hand of Bridge (10 minute opera - really great, hard to find a good recording haha)
    Argento's Six Elizabethan Songs (art songs - particularly love "Spring" and "Winter")
    Ned Rorem's "The Lordly Hudson" (one of his many fantastic art songs)
    Peter Westergaard's "Alice in Wonderland" (really weird but incredibly interesting opera - yes it's a bit atonal, but it's done with only symbols/percussion/weird instruments haha and voices!)

2. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone familiar with a glass harp?

I have over 300 classical Lps (those funny black disc you play on a turntable). I've been trying to learn classical music but, I was never good in math...

3. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Glass harp? If you're referring to the instrument then yes yes, absolutely brilliant. To be able to play it must be a lifting feeling, would to see a live performance in the future.

To any pianists, violinists and cellist here: What's your current repertoire? and/or name your top 5 pieces for the instrument you play(concertos included) this is also extended to anyone who favours works for specific instruments in general

my current repetoire(piano)
    1) two sonatas by Beethoven: 'Appasionata' and 'Pathetique' and 3rd and 2nd movement of the moonlight sonata
    2)Chopin opus 25, nos. 1, 6, 11 and 12 and chopin op 10 no 1 and 12. (will be working on all 12 etudes from op 25 this year)
    3)Liszt 'auf dem wasser zu singen'
    4) Rachmaninoff concerto no 1 (absolutely breathtaking piece if you have not heard it, brimming with brilliance)
    list goes on but those are just my favorite from my repertoire. Another concerto i like but do not play is Grieg's first and only piano concerto and rach's 3rd.

I play violin also and my favorite composers from this era are mainly the baroque composers...Bach (especially his concerto for two violins) vivaldi's seasons and concerto for cello and works by paganini. I like a concerto by Tchaikovsky but I think the greatest works for violin came from the baroque era where the instrument was respected so highly.

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a violinist and my current repertoire is:

Schubert - L'Abeille (The Bee)
    Rachmaninov - Vocalise

The rest of my repertoire was all ensemble-related stuff and the concerts are now over. :frowning2: However, my violin teacher did say today that he was going to think of a new piece for me to learn, yay! :grin:

Also in my top few:

Brahms - Sonata in G major
    Monti - Czardas
    Mozart - Concerto no.5 in A major

5. Fisnou

It's great to find so many music lovers and musicians on here! :icon_bigg But then again, I'm not surprised. It may be a stereotype but it seems that a lot of musicians are queer... almost all of the bi/gay people I know are musicians, including myself :icon_wink

I play violin and piano. I did a bit of cello and guitar but it doesn't really count. I give private lessons in both violin and piano and I play in several amateur/semi-prof orchestras. I've also been composing since I was young. So music is my biggest passion :slight_smile:

My number one favorite composer is PROKOFIEV. I absolute LOVE his music! Especially his piano sonatas, his 2nd and 3rd piano concertos, Peter and the Wolf, Romeo and Juliet, his Visions Fugitives, his violin concertos and his 1st and 5th symphonies. I'll be playing his 1st symph (the Classical Symphony) in a concert soon! I'm SO excited (!)(!) If you haven't heard this piece, you HAVE to, it's so awesome! I literally feel like jumping, laughing and crying all at once every time I hear it!

I also love Bach, Schubert, Mozart (when he goes minor!), Henri Dutilleux, Ravel, Shostakovich, Dvorak and lots more.

6. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

I'v actually never really listened to works by Prokofiev but i just listened to his first symphony and must say i'm very suprised, absolutely adore it, fantastic composition. Only listened to the first mvt allegro so far, which I'v enjoyed very much.
    Have you heard grieg's first?
    Grieg Piano Concerto - Evgeny Kissin, Sir Simon Rattle, Berliner Philharmoniker - YouTube
    kissin isn't a pianist i like a lot but i have to respect him for this performance.

also Beethovens famous appasionata sonata which i will be performing soon, something i look very forward to, one of his greatest...
    Lang Lang plays Beethoven's Sonata Appassionata Op. 57 No. 23 3rd Movement - YouTube
    As usual Lang lang's theatrics are un-matched but his virtuosity is appreciated nerveless

Another question: To any classical music lovers in general, who is/are your favourite performers?
    For me, piano:
    #1 Daniil trifonov (a fantastic interpreter of works by liszt, chopin and mozart),
    #2 Barenboim & Lisitsa(brilliant interpreters of works beethoven)
    #3 Berezovsky (effortless virtuosity when it comes to works by godowsky, rachmaninoff and etudes by listz)

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my Orchestration module at university, we had to orchestrate the beginning of one of Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives for symphony orchestra! Only the first ten bars or so. It was an interesting piece. I gave it a quite brassy fanfare at the beginning. :grin:

8. steel03

Our Symphony is doing Mars, Jupiter, Brandenburg 5, and the William Tell Overture next year! Eeeeeeee I can't wait!

And my copy of Dark Night of the Soul by Gjeilo should be arriving today! Yaaaaaay

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooh I did Mars, Jupiter and Neptune with Symphony orchestra last year! It was one of the most amazing things I've ever played in. :grin: Those pieces are brilliant.

10. steel03

I've been on a symphony orchestra binge lately.
    I've listened to Eroica and the Elgar Cello Concerto a socially unacceptable number of times in the last three days. Symphony is also doing the Dvorak Cello Concerto and Firebird (and possibly Pictures at an Exhibition? I'm not sure if they're still doing that this semester), both/all of which I'll get to hear at their homecoming concert in two weeks. Wheeeeeee

I'm feeling some serious Messiah coming on in the next couple weeks.

11. PianoNate

Pianist here.

Fisnou -- I love Sergei too!! He's in my top alternating top between three piano composers, Rach and Liszt are the others.

Dominoflare -- I love your current rep! Rach's 1st is a great piece and seriously underplayed! I don't have a copy of it though, so have never played through it, how difficult is it compared to the others? The 3rd is an absolute beast, the 2nd is nicely accessible, other than those ridiculous arpeggii in the 1st mvt.

My current rep:

1. Rachmaninoff Preludes Opus 23, Nos. 1-5
    2. Liszt Transcendental Etude # 4 "Mazeppa"
    3. Haydn Sonata in D major (I forget the K number)
    4. Chopin Etude Opus 10, #4 (make sure you listen to the valentina lisitsa version on youtube of this!)
    5. Liszt Chaconne and Sarabande from Handel's Almira
    6. Liebermann Gargoyles Suite

I also have the Godowsky Passacaglia on my piano right now ... it's kind of my dream piece. That and the Liszt Totentanz ... my dream is to get to play with an orchestra someday.

12. Aquilo

I love classical music and music from opera's, mostly if it has a nice recognisable melody and rithm

Some of my favourites (although you could debate about some if it's really classical music):

'In the hall of the mountain king' from 'Peer Gynt', written by Edvard Grieg
    'The dance of the knights' from 'Romeo and Juliet', written by Prokofiev
    'The triumphal march' from 'Aida', written by Giuseppe Verdi
    'Ride of the valkyries' from 'Die Walküre' (the second opera of the 'operaseries' 'Der Ring des Nibelungen', written by Wagner
    'Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen' from 'The magic flute' by Mozart
    'Habanera' from 'Carmen' by Bizet

'Flight of the bumblebee' by Rimsky-Korsakov
    'Sabre dance' by Aram Khachaturian
    'Bolero' by Ravel

13. Level75

I listen to some Bach. I wouldn't consider myself a serious classical music fan though aside from what plays on 105.9 FM (Google WQXR for anyone who isn't in the tri-state area). But then his work is very widely sourced in other media like movies and television shows. There is a commercial on TV these days that uses his Prelude #1 in C (yes, I had to look that up). So Bach gets a lot of exposure.

One composer, Koichi Sugiyama, writes a lot of music for the Dragon Quest series and he is clearly influenced by the sound of Bach.

14. lowdownweather

Herbert von Karajan.

15. steel03

16. Fisnou

That would've been so fun!! Which one did you do?

17. Gerit

I am a HUGE Igor Stravinsky fan. Especially of Firebird and Petrushka. I should probably know more about classical music considering I fall asleep to it every night, but oh well.

Mozart is okay, I guess. Kind of flutey-high stuff.

18. Obsidian

I play the oboe, and these are some of my favorite pieces:

Bolero-Ravel
    Canon in D-Pachelbel
    Scheherazade-Rimsky-Korsakov
    Espana-Chabrier (currently playing that in my orchestra)

19. Bolin

The oboe is seriously one of my favorite instruments. I love listening to Vivaldi's and Telemann's oboe concerti.

20. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.XIV Op.22. :grin: