1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class differences and relationships

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bookwormBRAZIL, Sep 8, 2017.

1. bookwormBRAZIL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have listened to a lot here about age gap in relationships, and it seems to be a general assumption that it is harmful for both parts or not healthy.

But what do you think about class diferences? I came from a really poor family (my father used to have money, but he lost a lot in the last few years; and my mom, despite not having formal education, currently doesn't have any job and depends financially on me to "survive"), and most of the money I get now I need to spend on my home (for bills, for rent).

However, my parents always valued my education and they invest in it. I studied in good schools (with scholarships, of course) and now I am doing law school in one of the best colleges of my country. I'm interested in arts, politics, languages. I love music and I think I have a great taste on Literature (which is my most favourite interest outside law). So, I tend to be attracted to guys - from my college and beyond - who like similar things and who study and everything else. The problem is: they have more money than me. And in Brazil education is really linked to the privilege of being educated, i.e., it is linked to position on society and class and etc.

In a certain way this overwhelms me because I don't have enough money to go out every weekend, to buy high priced clothes, and I value all the little money I get (preferring to save it or spend in my books or college). I don't live in a good neighbourhood and my house is very modest too. And I don't know if a partner would sacrifice their desires in order to accompany my last of money (because, even though I would love to be in different position in society, I am not).

So... I think: if I fell in love for a guy from my age, with similar tastes (especially with someone who enjoys reading!), but with more money than me, would it work?

Do you think this kind of "class" gap could be something irrelevant if there is love? Is the same logic encountered on "age gaps" applied here?

2. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The three things that break up most non abusive relationships are lack of involvement with one another, lack of sexual engagement between one another, and concerns over finances.

It's often said two individuals of the same class will make the best partners because they have similar experiences yet, if one partner is more ambitious to change personal status and becomes more involved in working to succeed financially which often means ignoring the other partner both sexually and emotionally then becoming embittered towards that partner for not having the same drive this will normally lead to the dissolution of the relationship.

Many people that are financially driven will live lonely lives because they spend their time in the quest for success.
    Often they will engage in multiple non committal relationships to seek gratification and shun anything that may become serious out of fear the chosen partner is only seeking financial gain through involvement in a parasitic fashion.

I understand what you are asking but unfortunately there is no clear answer as so typical of the human condition.
    We all simply hope to find "The One" who is perfect in every way and who finds us equally as perfect in their eyes.

3. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even poor (from the start) people can be success-driven and put money gain before most of things in life, due to ambition. The important thing, in my opinion, is the relationship with money. One can be rich and have a healthy relationship with money and work.

lovewine likes this.