1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Cis woman, accused of being a boy, was manhandled and kicked out of women’s bathroom

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is a good reason why these "bathroom bills" are just stupid. Not only do they hurt trans people, but they ultimately hurt people who just don't want to conform to the typically styles that they are expected to wear. What are your thoughts on this?
    Cis woman, accused of being a “boy,” was manhandled and kicked out of a women’s bathroom; sues | LEXIE CANNES STATE OF TRANS

#1 Skaros, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Cis woman, accused of being a boy, was manhandled and kicked out of women’s bathr

Maybe now that this bathroom hysteria bullshit is hurting cisgender people, someone will actually give a fuck...

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Cis woman, accused of being a boy, was manhandled and kicked out of women’s bathr

I saw this.. it was totally ridicilous how they treated her. I hope that she gets some damages, because that will encourage change in how they handle these situations in the future.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If this isn't reason enough for non-LGBTQ people to support the right of transgender people using the bathroom they want, and not have these ignorant "birth gender bathroom" bills, I don't know what else would convince people.

5. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is unrelated to this particular incident, but more just related to bathroom bills in general.

Below are some reasons I ran across why bill c279 ( one supporting trans rights.) shouldn't be allowed to pass. They were interesting to read.
    :badgrin: You know what? It's cool. I didn't need those rights anyways.

(courtesy of Canada Family Action | Stop the Gender/Bathroom Bill – C279)

#5 Batman, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Adrienne said it best....

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I always thought separated bathrooms are good for nothing.
    Still thinking the same.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've always felt the same. Why have them separate in the first place? I never got this.

If I'm taking a shit, I really don't care who might be in the stall next to me; I just wanna finish my business and leave.

Why are people so touchy about basic bodily functions?

This is one area where the majority of mammals ( and even birds, reptiles and insects) on the planet are way ahead of humans.

9. Ryu

Ryu

Well thats backwards... Saying that boys aren't allowed to enter womens bathrooms in order to reduce sexual assault crimes in bathrooms as he walks in a pins a woman against the wall... Hypocritical much.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Wow this is ridiculous....

11. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Geez... :confused:

12. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Amen... Also, might I point out that this raises questions about where exactly a passing trans person is supposed to pee if we aren't allowed to use our preferred lavatories? Though I guess that's irrelevant... Just something that occurred to me...

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Wow, Kasey, you're a sweetie (*hug*)

I'd like to add to my remarks, since really I should have something more productive to say than "this is horrible" (which it is), or "something bad should happen to the security guard" (which it should), or "we need to keep fighting for equal rights" (which we do).

What needs to be mentioned, I think, in this whole discussion is that deciding who can and cannot be in the bathroom is inherently violent to begin with. What the guard did is not anomalous. It was absolutely going to happen, since it's the logical conclusion of these policies, and it has probably happened elsewhere without being reported. In order to figure out "who is who," we're inherently going to have to start doing really invasive shit that doesn't make any sense.

We're going to start having to show ID before going to the bathroom. We're going to have to start carrying papers. (Now, it's kind of been way anyway, for example, with trans people trying to vote, but I digress.) But what else it means is someone is going to have to check them. We're going to start having something we've never had before (the Bathroom Guard) to solve an imagined problem we've never had (sexual assault in bathrooms).

Which leads me to my second point, which is that people who are so energized about protecting women (and let's face it; it is ciswomen we're "protecting" here. We only hear about trans men getting kicked out of bathrooms so that the Forces of Evil can pretend it's not "just" trans women they are concerned about. Nobody is threatened by trans men in the bathroom. Only trans women. Okay, these people, really seem only to care about (cis) women in this very limited circumstance. At every other time, they seek to increase state control over their reproductive rights, and they perpetuate dangerous rape culture mythology in the process of doing this. The longer we believe that people are getting sexually assaulted in the bathroom or in a dark alley at night, the longer until we start facing acquaintance rape. You know, the rape that actually happens the vast majority of the time.

These are not sincere concerns people are having. They are malicious, and we need to proceed that way. So that means, we're not ever going to be able to educate these people, because ignorance is not fundamentally the problem here. The problem is that they have animus against trans people and want more excuses to do violence to us. We're just going to have to defend ourselves from them.

I'm not sure how we do this, but my hope is to practice self-defense, engage in as much real-time documentation as I can (like, camera wearables), and identify other gender and sexuality minority people who need my love and support.

14. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Oh my goodness, if I was that poor women, I'd be terrified of getting raped. (One can only imagine what went on in her mind.)

God knows what she was thinking.

I'd be terrified.

Poor girl.

#14 Zannan, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

That's really fucking stupid. They're going to the bathroom that's all.

16. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

I never understood why we can't have unisex bathrooms with separate stalls.

17. Posthuman666

Thats horrible :frowning2:

18. PurpleGrey

This is appalling! No matter what side you're on regarding this stuff, it's extremely overboard to shove a person against a wall for just wanting to use the bathroom! It's not like she was acting the least bit suspicious! Suppose it was just a guy who misread the door? Is it too much to ask for people to refrain from such violent bullshit?

19. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The bathroom bill is honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

20. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all

Yes, I don't see how separate bathrooms limit assault. If all genders went to the same bathroom our culture would become a little more bodily open, and if any one got assaulted they could just report it like they would anywhere else. People should learn to control themselves and not bother/assault others in the restroom. There are also individual unisex bathrooms some places.