1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cis girl here considering dressing masculinely (pretty long)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by minimalist, Apr 16, 2019.

1. minimalist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey people!

So I'm new here. I've been questioning sexuality lately but I am pretty sure I'm straight (and I'm a young teenager so there's plenty of time to revise my sexuality. I really have incomplete information.) Anyway, I have never really been a fan of traditional dresses-heels feminine attire, to the point of stopping wearing skirts once I got to high school. It's been a few years and I never look back.

Anyway, that's all well and good, but I'm thinking of cutting my hair short and dressing in an even more masculine way. Basically stereotypical butch lesbian stuff. I don't have a problem with men thinking I'm lesbian and thus not hitting on me: I don't crave male attention or want to date boys right now. But I know some lesbian women have had bad experiences with being "faked out" by straight women, etc. I kind of feel like I'm appropriating butch culture. Now, this isn't rainbows and Pride belt buckles, but it would probably mean buying clothes from butch companies and looking butch. I don't know. I just don't want people to assume I'm a fake gay or something??

I might also be uncomfortable with my own questions re my sexuality. But that's a whole other post. Basically, from an outsider's perspective, is it disrespectful for a straight person to dress in styles usually frequented by gay/queer people?

2. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, i do not think it is disrespectful at all. while a lot of butch styled women (cant think of a better word) are lesbians or bisexual, not all of them are. it is just women expressing themselves more masculinely. some straight women like to dress masculinely, and i dont think it is taking from "butch culture" at all. so, id say if it is what you want definitely go for it. gender expression can be intimidating, but if you dont try it out, you will never know what is like and if you like/dislike it. i mean, im not much of a outsider per say, but every person is entitled to express themselves however they want. and it doesnt matter if thats a man dressing femininely, or a woman dressing masculinely, both, or neither.

i dont think many people if at all would think you are a fake gay. even if you are not sure about your sexuality, you either are or arnet. i dont feel there is really a way to fake it. and if those people make those assumptions, well, they will think what they want to. it isnt really your problem. go for what you want, i feel like it makes us much happier when we do. :slight_smile:

beenthrdonetht and medamaude like this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. You're not. Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. You do you. There are to prerequisites to wearing "men's" clothing. And it's all stereotypes anyway.

I suggest you ask this question in a section frequented by gay and not transgender people as well. In order to see that for most clothes don't relate at all to sexual orientation. You have masculine gay men and feminine lesbian women. And straight mascuoine women and straight feminine men. It's two different things.

minimalist, Love4Ever and Reviskova like this.
  4. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think if it will make you happy and you can make it your own style, then go with it. I have a cousin that only wears hockey shirts, because she love the CAPS. She is definitely her own person.

minimalist and Reviskova like this.
  5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As far as the idea of lesbians hitting on you and being "faked out" by you, take any compliment they give you, and if a girl asks you out maybe say something like you're not really into them, without really saying that you're straight.

(And, BTW, that wasn't really that long of a post)

#5 LaurenSkye, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is no issue with dressing more masculine if that makes you more comfortable. Some people may read you as being gay or bisexual, but usually a polite decline will not cause any issues.

Love4Ever likes this.