1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian and gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Marcy, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Guelito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of the things that has been important and helpful for me is recognizing that I have a personal relationship with god, or my passion, or life, whatever you want to call it. Maintaining that relationship is so important and if I don't and I place too much emphasis on what others think or whether i'm doing things the right or wrong way, it's the source of misery... all misery comes from that. You can ask god a question and god will answer. You just have to stay open to hear the answer because it may not be in the form you are expecting. I come from a catholic background although I'm not religious and valuing my own internal intuition and knowing has been the hardest thing for me because religion often puts so much focus on external things like a book or a person in a position of power. I know when i feel truly passionate about something, truly creative, there is an expansiveness in me, and a feeling of connection to everything and it's so big and deep and beautiful I know that has to be the truth about who I am and my relationship to life. I call that god. Trust yourself. Then the answers you are wanting will come. :slight_smile:

2. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    well if you think about it, it doesn't really make sense. in the Bible, (in Romans) it clearly says that there's no way for any human to follow every single law in the Old Testament. If we had to in order to earn our salvation, we would all burn in Hell bc it's not possible. The Bible clearly says how Jesus made another way in order to be made right with him so that "whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Jewish so I can't say this is something I've personally dealt with, but I have a friend who's very active with the Gay Christian Network. Look them up. They have a lot of resources on their website and host a giant annual conference

4. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If it were all completely literal, then God is an animal that commonly gets their tail cut off and get shaved yearly and we need to bathe in blood for forgiveness.
    It basically means do not take something out of the Bible.
    The Bible was written as books and letters, not chapters and verses (the letters were sometimes personal letters, so not applying to everyone).
    Read entire passages, not verses (sometimes 5 verses later it says who said it, or neither do we have any such custom in the church of Christ).
    Also:
    "Well, who said it?" - my pastor

#24 PerfectlyNormal, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. Epitomeness

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always had this problem too...I've grown up with the church since I was 5 and my dads a pastor so it's always stressed a lot at home. I haven't found a solution but I'm kind of just drifting.

6. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. vamonos

How many children did Jesus have? He hanged out with a bunch of men and a hooker. So, it seems to me gay is okay.

#27 vamonos, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  8. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Well, history is written by the victors, or in this case, the bible. Perhaps one day the bible will be widely accepted as gay loving, or even pony loving if enough smart blokes believe in the ponies' salvation. :slight_smile: It always amuses me how a book can cause so many contradictory interpretations. Or humans are just really bad and contradictory readers.

9. Marcy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The more I have to dig through the Bible in effort to find a way to make it gay-friendly, the harder I find it to believe in a loving God at all. Now I'm teetering on the edge of Depression because I have to entertain the possibility that we'll all fade into nonexistence when we die, making life completely and utterly pointless because everything you've worked for dies with you and making others happy is pointless too because they're all also going to die.

#29 Marcy, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Marcy, I would strongly recommend you approach the Bible again after you have done some reading and research into the history and context of those ancient passages. If you dip into the Bible without that knowledge and take it quite literally, like some novel, you will have a very hard time with it. Understand the history, context, composition and differing approaches to scriptrual interpretation and see how the Bible changes from the beginnings of the Old Testament to the New Testament and you will come to love and appreciate it all over again, like I have. It's amazes me that we (Christians) have reached the point where we engage with scripture in a very narrow and naive way. It hasn't always been like this.

11. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a very hard time finding out how to allow my faith and my sexualty to work together.I talked it out with a friend if mine who is also a gay Chrstian.

The long and short of it is this.

I know who my daddy is. (daddy=God) God had everything in Heaven. All the angels bowd to Him without question. His power would have been incnceivble. The only thing He didn't have was the ability for someone to chose Him. That's why He gave up everything to send Jesus to us. He sacrfced a lot in becoming a man. Think about it. He gave up so much so that we would have the ability to choose Him and love Him. Really, do you think He would pick and chose His children after all that? You are His precious child and He wants you to love Him and follow Him.

The only unforgivable sin is not accepting Jesus. There are things that are a part of our daily motions that are sins and we don't even realize it. None of it matters to God. His hand is always extended to you. You just have to take it.

12. Gay1234

I'm Christian but I barely go to church as I ind it so frustrating. I'm gay and I got on with it I suppose due to frustration with church. Are you wet religious or are your parents religious and your afraid to tell them?

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2015 at 07:11 PM ----------

Sorry just noticed there you are out to everyone. What do you feel? Did somebody cause this hatred for life? If you can answer those questions I may be able to help further.

13. Marcy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm out to my parents, and they're not thrilled about it, but we've never been close so I'm not sure they really care enough to be upset. It's just been me wondering about death and worrying.

14. IG88

Marcy, just a few paragraphs down from that Jesus quotes the Old Testament and then turns it on its head:

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

While the Old Testament words won't fade away, that doesn't mean that you have to follow them. Follow what Jesus teaches.

15. Nick F

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I being a christian and gay (although not out to anyone), truly believe that God loves everyone and he made everyone in his image and that he made no mistakes. That is the simplest way I can put it.