1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child abuse, yet another book

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by brainwashed, Nov 3, 2017.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This post is primarily to those parents with children, maybe their'e gay, maybe not. With a high degree of certainty, via self assessment, I have determined I was abused in my early to mid teens. Yes my sexuality, a gay teen, was a key component of the abuse.

So why the post. I offer lesson learned. One (of many) things that would have made a difference in my life would have been "other", adults, connecting with me, listed to me and caring about me. The only adult who connected with me was my mom, the abuser. So in essence there was a single point failure in my life - my mom.

Yesterday I ordered my ~12 book targeting child psychology, sexuality, abuse concerns. The book is titled: Overcoming Childhood Trauma: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques. Dont do to your child what has been done to me.

Parenting is a big, complicated job. Let others help.

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it geared at just parents or people in general? B/c i was only ever emotionally/verbally abused by my mom but she does not know about my sexuality (or gender) so that's not a factor. Though if she knew she would surely disown me and every angry insult and word she has said before would pale in comparison to her reaction then if she were to find out. She needs attention so she never let me make solid friendships and even wanted me to not like my dad either so my life revolved around her growing up. I would love a book or two to help out with everything. I am going to be getting a kindle so an ebook about it would be great.

#2 AlexJames, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the book I referenced in this post is going to be good. I browsed it via Google Books to check level of understanding. For instance there are three main types of abuse stated in the book. Emotional, physical, sexual. The abuse I received was mostly emotional although there was a bit of "proxy physical abuse" thrown in for laughs.

The main way my mom abused me was via control and shame. She was very loving but always wanted to control me and everyone else in the family. She would also never try to see the other persons point of view, you know like a person has their own dreams and aspirations. Then she shamed me for a very innocent situation with another 14 year old - two males. Shaming lasted to long, like ~3 years.

I can relate to your mother abuse situation. Hang in there.

AlexJames likes this.