1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chatroom - Minimum Post Limit - 10 Posts

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

From Sunday (19th August) we are imposing a minimum forum post count requirement of 10 posts before members can use the chatroom.

The reason for this is that we are concerned about the number of people (some showing their orientation as "Straight") signing up just to use the chatroom, and the conversations that have taken place in there between them (mostly in private chats). I think some people have become aware of its existence as a free chatroom that allows private chats, and are just using it for that despite having no interest in what EC is about.

By setting this post count minimum (which is the same as the use of the galleries and blogs) we should limit the use of the chatroom to genuine EC members, who are the people it is really intended for.

Anyone attempting to use the chatroom without sufficient forum posts will see an error message denying them access. Hopefully I will be able to edit this message to explain the reason.

Anyone making rubbish forum posts just to get their post count up to the limit is likely to be banned from the chatroom until they have shown (by means of proper forum posts) that they are genuine EC members.

If you encounter anyone in the chatroom who is not an active forum member, you may want to tell them about this change.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Re: Chatroom - Minimum Post Limit

I have just sent a PM to the 121 people that have logged into the chatroom over the last few weeks.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Sounds like a good decision. I've noticed some of those members, but they weren't doing anything I could see. Of course, the mods can actually see what is happening. (You have access to the private chats right?)

The "genuine EC members" thing made me think of "genuine Microsoft software" and the s**tty Windows Genuine Advantage. I'm a geek huh?

4. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

It's a wonderful decision!

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, we can see what's been discussed in private chats, though we don't read any of the stuff (public chatroom or private chats) in detail - it would be too time-consuming and probably boring! We do skim through it all though, and tend to take more notice of what unfamiliar usernames are saying.

It looks like an EC member is getting all his/her straight friends to sign up just so they can use the chatroom for their own purposes. That's not what it's for, and is what this is intended to stop.

Yes, you're a geek. :slight_smile: But don't worry, we won't be forceably downloading a piece of software to prove people are "Genuine EC Members"!

I had a PM from one person, concerned that some people may genuinely want to use the chatroom and not the forum, and are the sort of people EC is intended for. We can always make special arrangements for specific people on request, if it proves necessary.

6. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Wait so everything we say in the chatroom, private or not, the mods can see?

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yep. Though as I said, we have better things to do than read it all. There is masses of it in the logs, with private and public chats all mixed up together. We just skim through looking for inappropriate discussions, usernames we don't recognise etc.

8. Grof142007

Wow Thank God i have over 10 post counts

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

This change is now done.

We will be watching for people who just make 10 trivial posts then use the chatroom and never post any more. If we become aware of people doing this we may add additional restrictions on chatroom use, for example a higher post threshold and/or a posts per month requirement.

10. Evilmonkey

fair enough... but why dont they just get msn???

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's exactly what I was wondering. They can have their own private chat, without having to use some unrelated site and without being bothered by the moderators of that site! :wink:

12. Nicknikko

so i don't quite get it... by 10 posts you mean what?

13. Nicknikko

ohh wait i got it! ;]

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I was tempted to delete those two posts for neatness, but that would be cruel! :grin:

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have now fixed the error message on this if you don't have enough posts (it previously said people were banned, which was not very helpful).

#15 Paul_UK, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  16. boreddude

Sounds very fair :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Friend

Friend Guest

it's definately a smart idea.

...NEED MORE POSTS

guilty as charged

18. CrimsonThunder

I miss all the brand new people comin straight into the chat room and chatting to us. :frowning2:

I havn't seen any brand new people only using the chat room then never coming back (aint payed attention I guess) I have noticed that alot of new people come into the chat room to check it out after they join.

19. CrimsonThunder

Paul I'm not sure but you could try to make the font bigger because we've already had 2 new topics about it.

You need 10 posts on the EC forum before you can access the chat room.

20. Kimi

There is a person who just post meaningless posts and thread so he can pass post limit to the chat room, which I found VERY distracting.