1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat Idea - Input Appreciated - Update at Post 44

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Martin, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Tom

Tom Guest

Re: Chat Idea - Input Appreciated

Would it be possible to have a chatroom for the regular members and then another chatroom for the full members, this would mean one could have all the private messaging and room adding capabilities locked while the other has no such restrictions, it would just mean that if a mod was required to be in there then they might not be able to speak to friends in the other chatroom.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you are thinking of two completely separate installations of the software, that would mean two chatrooms to moderate, and two sets of chatlogs to go through etc. One lot is plenty.

Also it would divide people further as the full members would be unlikely to use the 2nd chatroom because it was more limited. So it would just be regular members and a mod in there. That's not the way to bring people together. It's got to be one chatroom.

Plus the linking of the chatroom software to the forum software won't work that way.

3. Zak

Zak

Sooo, so far we have more mod, different rooms...etc. What if we have more mods, and let the regular members in if there is a mod. I Like this idea. IDK how the flashchat works though. You would have to deal with that.

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Update: We have now been looking into the possibility of a shoutbox that both full members and regular members could use. It would most likely appear on the frontpage of the forum (hopefully with the ability to minimise it for those who do not want to see it), and it would be put on a timer that would tick down whenever a member of staff is not there to patrol it. As it is allowing regular members to post it would need constant monitoring when it is open therefore it will be customised in such a way that it is only open when a member of staff is there to open it. Once it is opened a timer will start. If that timer reaches 0 then the shoutbox will become locked for everybody, whereas if a staff member posts then the timer resets to x time and restarts the countdown.

The chatroom will not be affected by any changes and will still be open 24/7. The shoutbox would only be open to anybody when a staff member is present to open it. Full Members will not have access to it when no staff are present either so you'll need to use chat.

This is only a plan so far, but it's being looked into further over the weekend. :slight_smile:

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Here's a screenshot Paul just sent me. This is what it will look like (with some possible tweaks):

Attached Files:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Sooo, so far we have more mod, different rooms...etc. What if we have more mods, and let the regular members in if there is a mod. I Like this idea.

A few problems here, as well. Let's say I jump in the chat room. Mod on duty, everybody allowed in the pool. Fine, but what happens if I can't stay? What if I get called away IRL? The second I leave, all regular members would be kicked out of the room rather suddenly, which isn't exactly the most welcoming thing to do. I could technically just leave the window open and leave, but again, that goes against everything we were trying to accomplish here...

Lex

7. SJ17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am only a regular member here (I will pluck up the courage to ask for a full membership one day), mainly lurking at the moment.

One really attractive aspect of EC (apart from all you lovely people!) is the security. I don't know how chat rooms work, as I don't go into any other sites, but you have a really nice, secure, family thing going on here - would you be able to maintain that feel and the integrity of the chat room site?

I feel very safe here..

Just wondering, what prompted the consideration of change?

SJ

PS sounds like a great idea, as I would probably feel brave enough to pop in and chat!

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Any more comments on the shoutbox idea Martin suggested in post #44?

I won't have a chance to look into it this weekend because I now have more important stuff to do but I will get to it soon if there is some general interest.

The sort of issue Lex mentioned still applies, but if we have a timer system on the shoutbox then we can perhaps indicate by traffic light type symbols when it is open (green) about to close (amber) or closed (red) so that people get a warning before it actually closes. The timer would be custom code that I need to write.

9. SamAlex728

i like the shoutbox idea
    the timer makes it where people know that they'll be kicked out, so they can't get all pissy about having no warning

nice system

10. biisme

I like the shoutbox idea too. It seems like a good way to incorporate everything.

11. Zak

Zak

Im a little confussed on the shoutbox. Will it be on the forum or part of the chatroom?