1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat Idea - Input Appreciated - Update at Post 44

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Martin, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Re: Chat Idea - Input Appreciated

Yes. We need to know whether members who would be affected think it's a good idea and something they will use, before spending the time coding it and making it happen. If people aren't interested then there is no point is doing so. So far it seems to be welcomed though. :slight_smile:

2. smilealways

smilealways Guest

I think its a good idea. :thumbsup:

3. Tom

Tom Guest

its not a good idea, but a brilliant one ^^

It will mean that Tom#2 can come back to chat yay! and seeing as more of my friends would be in there than now id be logging into the chatroom more often too, but I'm not entirely sure if that is a good thing =p

4. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

Sounds like a plan to me :slight_smile:

5. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Sounds like a fanfreakintastic idea!

6. Malaise

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I think its a good idea, only because of the point that i'm a new member (call me prudent but i like to chat) the negative side is, moderators abuse power. I have a VF (vampire freaks) account and a moderator had actually kicked a member out because she was defending her friend from someone making rude and racist comments about her friend. Abuse of power. So it works either way. To be honest its not going to please everyone and its going to probably make some people mad. But thats life. (Call me cynical)

7. Derek the Wolf

I think it's a great idea.

8. TriBi

^^ Malaise - if you hang around here, I think you'll find this is one of those sites where the Mods aren't on a power trip.

They are a good mix, various ages - and not the vindictive types :wink:.

9. Nitro

I think you will find the mods here much more reasonable.

I do have concerns about the reliability of the chatroom being open to regular members, and fear that this would create much dissatisfaction/annoyance. Humans are creatures of habit, and from habit can derive a sense of entitlement. Short of promoting every full member to chat mod, this idea does not seem worth pursuing.

10. Defender

Defender Guest

No way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

11. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Adding my two cents: Yes! Excellent idea. It is.... just.... a.... Wonderful Idea!!!!

I have plenty time to spare, so I would offer help for coding if this change is made, however I can't code anything for my life. I swear, if it would depend between coding or my life, I'd lose my life o_o

However, I am able to volunteer as a chatroom mod. I am not there at all now, but I can most certainly be there anytime but in the mornings.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

There would be some coding difficulties as well...

Following the current policy, regular members should not have access to chatroom private messages (otherwise the forum PM restrictions would be useless). But our chat room makes it possible to create custom, private rooms, even password-protected ones, so regular members should not be allowed to get into those as well. That would require a lot of customization.

13. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Well we already have coding that allows regular members to send PMs only to mods. So the coding would remain, making the regular members only able to be on the main room and in private conversations with mods/chat room mods?

14. Zak

Zak

=O

Well it is a good idea anyway. Thats really the only way i met people, the chat room.

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, I'm aware of that. It's something we will need to consider and decide how we are going to handle before making this change live (if it is decided to do it). It may mean disabling those features completely and sticking with just two public rooms.

16. Zak

Zak

So what has been decided?

17. xXxNealxXx

A town where you get beat up for ur Imperfections
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

ok i think its a great cuz im so ready to be aloud in the chat rooms
    im pumped for when the day comes

18. Urman

Urman Guest

how about another room were regular members can go only but full members can go in also

19. Zak

Zak

^That might work.

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Not yet, although the general agreement here has been noted. We need to consider how to handle private rooms and private convos etc.

With the current chatroom software it's all-or-nothing. So if regular members have access (because a mod is in there, if that's the way we go) then they can use all the rooms and also create rooms and have private convos etc. We can't control specific features in the chatroom for different types of members.

This is where the complications lie, and is the stuff we have to try to find a way around. Clearly we cannot allow regular members to have private convos or create private rooms because that goes against the security measures we are required by the site owners to have in place. Even if there is more than one public room, the mod can only be in one at a time.

On the other hand, the private convos and private rooms are used by full members who would probably miss them if they go. So the solution of removing all private convos and the ability to create rooms would be unpopular with them.

So we need to work out a best compromise, then see if it can be coded relatively easily, without breaking anything else.

The point of this thread was to see if the members who would be affected generally thought it was a good idea. Overall it seems that you do. :thumbsup: