1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Body Image

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Contented, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else . With my ex-wife and and girlfriend I never felt comfortable naked. Sex was usually at night in low light and afterwards I covered myself. Never walked around naked and was uncomfortable if they were nude. That all seemed to dramatically change when I met my BF. While I was always in shape, my bf was a professional dancer in younger years and has kept u the rigorous exercise program. I also adopted some it and have lost almost 15 lbs. I am in the best shape of my life and no longer have any hang up about being nude. We have a private patio in our townhouse and many times we have suntanned together au natural. Love making is anytime and with the lights on.lol! I am just trying to determine if this a added benefit of finally acknowledging and acting on my homosexuality or more the other physical changes and casting off the masculine stereotype that was so ingrained in me. I have a new interest in how I look, taking more care of my physical appearance, my mental attitude and pampering myself which I never thought men could do!

Danabutton likes this.
  2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is so great to hear!!!! I have always been comfortable with nudity in mixed company or in private. It is very liberating.

BTW. This is whole body image and nudity is a joke. I've been naked with humans of all shapes, sizes and ages. We need to get over this self conscious behavior.

Lyman and Love4Ever like this.
  3. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might just be that you feel totally comfortable with him .

Lyman likes this.
  4. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @Contented -
    That's good to hear! In my opinion, the "why" part doesn't really matter, other than being a curiosity. What does matter isthat you feel good about yourself.
    =Sevn

5. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Better than ever could have imagined. It seems to me that once I started to eliminate the heteronormative societal norms about masculinity from my life I became happier and better adjusted I felt. Certainly part of credit goes to my BF who helped but didn’t push as I realigned who I really was and came to terms with being gay. 2 years of exclusively gay has so far been the best 2 years of my life.

smurf likes this.
  6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi contented, I have also felt a change in my comfort being naked since coming out, I feel much more in tune and comfortable with my body when I make love to my girlfriend than I did with guys in the past, and a lot of the same things you describe apply to my experience as well... even when I’m (tmi?) taking care of myself, ahem, I tend to be more relaxed about my body, enjoy being naked. I do feel this is part of gaining comfort in my sexuality (at least for me).

#6 baristajedi, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  7. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m not out or anything, but I have to admit, I always loved being naked. I don’t look all that great but I do love it

8. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps a little off the thread but for me after the initial freedom of admitting I was gay and the excitement of the new me I now find the gay is now just normal. Again it is really wonderfully to be gay and that is just normal for me. I love the feeling that I am gay and it’s no big deal any longer just part of who I am am.

baristajedi likes this.
  9. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another area that I find interesting as I evolve from “ straight” to gay is how easy the transition has been mostly. I went from a life time of intimacy with women to men without much issue. While it took a little while to get totally comfortable with gay sexuality it still happened rather quickly. I am more open sexually now than ever was with women. From being emotionally involved with women to men happened even quicker. Being emotionally involved with my BF has opened my eyes to a relationship I would have never thought possible. The comfort level has been incredible even to me. More and more I am ok with PSA with my BF, more so than I ever was with the women in my former life. Becoming a member of the LGBTQ family has been almost seamless. Most of my friends now are gay, it just seems easier.
    This is not to say it has been without regrets.
    I am estranged from my family except for my daughter. Most of my old friends have fallen by the wayside. Their choice not mine. I am truly sad for that and wish it was not so. Looking back the only positive and it’s a big one of my former hetero life has been my daughter. In many ways I wish I could have realized my homosexuality early on. I feel as if I have been let in on a marvelous secret called homosexuality and become a member of a growing vocal active proud minority fighting the heteronormative narrative than is slowly losing its footing in society. More and more young people are no longer identifying as hetero and exploring their sexuality in the open, unafriad not concerned with that old norm.