1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS rejects gay ad for Superbowl

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by crazydude, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Sylver

Think about this for a moment...

1. A gay dating website being able to afford millions of dollars on a single TV ad? Not likely.

2. Exactly what demographic are they after - gay football fans? Pretty bad investment if you ask me.

3. With an ad that looks like it cost $200 to make? Uh, no.

What's a good way to get some cheap publicity? How about creating a crappy raunchy ad that's sure to be rejected, then asking CBS to run it during the super bowl knowing it will get rejected, then getting all kinds of free publicity all over the place, then getting gays and lesbians talking about it like it's some kind of human rights issue, and finally having starfish check it out? The mission of advertising is to make you aware of something and then get you to act, so mission accomplished. If I was giving out an award for best PR scam, this is Gold Medal territory!

2. crazydude

haha wow I never thought of it that way, but definitely makes perfect sense!

3. Mind Freak

Agreed.

4. Zume

4. Allowing the dating website to make complete asses of themselves - priceless.

5. EM68

Larry King Live is talking about it now. They showed the ad. Big PR win for them.

6. Sylver

5. Getting your ad played on CNN (the homo news network, because I watch it!) for FREE because you're good at playing the PR game - worth about $2 million!

Mission. Accomplished.

7. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To be quite honest, I thought the ad was horrible. The Tebow ad is pretty indirect, I would suspect it would take just as much for us to get on there. Ergo, no mention of a dating site.

----------

Good post. I agree with the first and the third.
    Thats said, whats the beef with us gay football fans? :dry:

8. Sylver

Sorry, no offense intended (or is that offence?) :icon_bigg! I have absolutely no data to indicate one way or another whether the proportion of football fans who happen to be gay is more or less than that of the general population. My bad!

Go Saints!!! :thumbsup:

9. mmilam75

Super Bowl ads are meant to be pricy and comical, not good in terms of ad quality. Personally, I thought the ad was funny, but CBS rejecting it is in no way surprising. This has more to do with the Super Bowl's target audience being uncomfortable with any expression of male-male sexuality.

Complete and total BS.

10. Sylver

Oops... I see you're from Indiana...

So... Go Colts!!! :thumbsup:

(geez, I'm not hitting it off on the right foot with you, am I?)

11. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha. You started off fine. I'll be Saints fan come Sunday. But the "But the "Go Colts" was a grave sin. I may be from Indiana but I despise that team. Too much bad blood.

On the other hand, I can live with the Saints. A lot like my Cardinals and Falcons, their really isn't much positive to say about their history. Plus, so long as I don't have to witness him massacre my Cardinalsin the playoffs again, he's a blast to watch.

Of course, this probably wasn't a rant that you really cared to hear. But you've got work to do if you want to make up for that sin. :icon_wink

#31 Jonah 4, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  12. Sylver

See? This is why I can't figure out football!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Miss Bubbles

Does it really matter that much? I mean this kind of stuff has been happening off and on for years. I really don't mind we don't have a say in what the company will put on the t.v or not. So whats it matter?

14. Fr0zenPupp3t

Fr0zenPupp3t Guest

I would of rejected that shit too.
    Horrible commercial.

15. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I think CBS rejected a commercial from Focus on the Family as well so at least they are not rocking the boat in any way.