1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat died today.. and I feel terrible.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tyrion, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Tyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but I could definitely use an e-hug or something :'(

Today our cat, sneakers, who lived to be 21 years old died. Sad thing was he was being treated for asthma.. and after my mom gave him his medication he went into an asthma attack. Since it was Thanksgiving, there were no vets open, and he died over a period of 5 minutes in her arms. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen...

He's in the garage right now, wrapped in a blanket, so we can have him cremated in the morning.

I know to some people a cat is just a cat..but for me it was like a family member. I still can barely think about it without nearly crying..

Worst thanksgiving ever..

Anyway sorry for the depressing post. Had to get this out somewhere.

#1 Tyrion, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my cats have died, I've always been absolutely devastated. It must be especially awful for you to lose Sneakers that way. I am so sorry for your loss. (*hug*)

21 years old is a great age for a cat, and I'm sure you filled those 21 years with lots of love and care. I'm sure you gave him the best life and if he could, he'd thank you for that.

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry for your loss, Tyrion. (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. Tyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh yeah he had a good 21 years. Very spoiled. He slept every night on my bed.

It's so weird with him gone though :frowning2:.

Thanks for the support!

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're not just pets, they are, as you say part of the family and it hurts very much when we lose them. 21 was a good age, but that doesn't really lessen the blow. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I have two dogs and just the thought of losing them breaks me. I dread the day.

(*hug*)

6. Rosalynn

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*) (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

7. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    (*hug*) I've just got my first kitten, I've only had her for a month but I know I'd be absolutely devastated if she died.

21 years is really really long for a cat though. I'm sure he had a good life.

Don't feel bad about crying. It must be really hard for you (*hug*)

8. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very sorry for your loss! I couldn't imagine the feeling of losing a pet. It sounds like you guys were taking great care of him especially since he did have asthma, look at it this way he did live for a long time especially for being a cat and he was with his family who cared about him rather than at a shelter or out in the cold. I hope everything gets better for you guys

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm very sorry. I'm sure he had a really good life; 21 years is above age lifespan so it might have just been his time too. Doesn't make it any less painful though. -hug-

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm very sorry. I'm sure he had a really good life; 21 years is above age lifespan so it might have just been his time too. Doesn't make it any less painful though. -hug-

11. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am for sorry for your loss Tyrion. I know exactly how you feel as I lost my dog of 18 yrs a couple of days ago. hug to you. (*hug*)

12. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I'm so sorry :frowning2: Ive had many pets and cried convulsively for days when they died.

Hope your heart feels better soon.

13. Aaron165

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Don't feel terrible just think of all the good times you had and understand that he is in a better place(!)

14. Acm

Acm Guest

My cat died a few weeks ago, I know how you feel, it's really rough. Your cat lived a long life though at least (*hug*)

15. Benway

Benway Guest

21 years is almost unheard of for a cat... that means he was well taken care of. I have a cat, too. She's going to be four in March. I'm sorry for your loss. Remember, there are many more kittens out there that need to be adopted and if you can take care of another the way you took care of Sneakers for 21 years-- I think you'll be able to give another cat just as good a life. (*hug*)(&&&)

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*) I'm so sorry... I can't imagine how I'll feel when my dog dies...

17. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I'm 21 now. Makes me feel downright childish when I imagine a small cat being older than me.

Losing pets is terrible. We've got two cats now, a mother and her son, and I can't imagine how it will be when they go.

Also lost some good chinchillas and hamsters. One of the chinchillas, Kizzy, was devastating to the whole family.

Still, I try my best to keep him alive in my own way. Hell, my avatar is a direct sketch of him.

It's going to feel hard now, and it'll feel even harder in the coming weeks. But, try to focus on the good times, not the bad. Helps a lot.

18. Wildside

Wildside Guest

please accept my e-hug! (*hug*) my cat died last year a week after thanksgiving, during an ice storm when we couldn't even get out of the house. I was really sad, and couldn't hold back the tears. I didn't ever expect it to affect me like that. I am really sorry for your loss!

19. Tyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all so much. I know he lived a really long life. Everytime I tell someone he was 21 years old they are amazed. I guess we did something right!

Even though he died I'm really glad he died in our home rather than at a vet where he would be with scary people he didnt know.

I'm still really sad, and my mom is taking it hard, because she was holding him when he died, but I'm feeling better. Everything dies in the end.. that's just how it is.

Thanks so much for your messages! They made me feel a lot better :slight_smile:

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)
    A cat that you spent so many years with is definitely more than a cat. Even if you spend just a few months, which was my case : The first cat I had died after falling from a 5th floor, and I didn't noticed until much later. It was still alive when I saw it from the window, and she died in my arms, so I know what kind of feelings you are talking about. I'm very sorry (*hug*)

A few days later I just had another cat, this time a little kitty only a few weeks old. It wasn't as if it replaced the cat that had died, but it definitely made a difference back then. I know you are not on the mood to hear such things, but please think about it, having a cat in your life again will make a difference. You did your best for the one that died, I know, and sure the cat knew it and felt loved by you all (*hug*)