1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casual Dating... Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by myheartincheck, Feb 26, 2013.

?

How do you feel about casual dating?

1. It can be fun! I think others should try it! :)

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Ehhh I don't care either way about it.

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. It's overrated!

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Not sure... I haven't tried it/other

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well ok then miss thang! ;D And yes, you're right!

I feel like if someone sat in front of me and I thought they were extremely attractive, I'd choke on my words and make a fool out of myself. x.x

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah huh.... I've never been on a date with a girl before.... O_O I get the feeling I wouldn't be so sane around women as I was with men...

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's not for me, but to those who are into it I say go for it =o

4. Xandra91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :O Interesting topic!

I think if you feel comfortable with it just do it. Of course, it will be better if the two people involved knew that you two are just casual.
    I've tried twice, the first one was nothing special we hooked up in a club and it lasted two weeks because she told me that she had a gf and i didn't want to be "the other" ( I didn't know that she was with someone else). The second one was the worst because I fell for her but she didn't want a formal gf , this lasted almost month and a half ... This experience just taught me that it's a "dangerous zone" if you fell for him/her it's all over.

5. jeanie

jeanie Guest

I wanna fall in love...and I want it to be with someone who's on the same page.
    I think I'd just get hurt if I dated casually.

6. Ianthe

I don't understand this question. I think it's normal to date people casually until you hit it off with someone and want to get serious.

I think some of this thread is confusing casual dating for casual sex. I think most dating relationships start off with a casual date, like going for coffee or something.

I do agree that you should communicate well with whoever you are dating about what it is that you are looking for.

Casual sex is fine too, as long as everyone is treated like a person. (The same basic moral rules apply to sex that apply in all human interactions. Don't devalue yourself or other people, or disregard their feelings. Be honest with people, and treat them kindly and with respect.)

If you do end up having sex during casual dating, I think it's important for the communication to be clear so that you and the other person do not have different ideas about what the escalation in physical intimacy means. It's not good for one person to think that it means the relationship is getting more serious while the other person doesn't.

My biggest concern would be how you are going to find lesbians who are looking for the same thing.

7. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's definitely different. I'm so meh with men because I really don't care what they think. But when I'm with a woman I'm so nervous because I wonder how I look, and I actually care what a woman might think of me. >_< I mean, I've dated 3 girls in my life and it's still so hard to not be nervous. XD

8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh no no! I'm not looking for sex at all. I just like the idea of dating around a bit and seeing what sort of options are available to me and what kind of personalities I'm into. I don't go on blind dates or date in general but am considering it. I wanted to know how people felt about exploring personalities via casual, noncommitting dates. :slight_smile:

9. FemCasanova

I think a phase with casual dating can be very good for you. If you go straight into a committed marriage, then a lot of the time people end up feeling like they never actually got to be wild and free and do something crazy, which has been the doom of some marriages. Not all, don`t get me wrong, some people go straight into committed relationships and is happy with it for the rest of their lives. But some of us need some young and free, casual dating, just getting to know oneself and what we want from someone who we could spend the rest of our lives with. A little experience is usually a good thing, and casual dating can be great! I must confess I feel like I am too old for it now though, and I have reached a state were a committed stable relationship is what I really want and have. But I don`t regret experiences I have made in the past :wink:

10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well thank you! :grin: I wanna enjoy the Bachelorette scene ya know? Now that I'm starting to finally accept my sexuality... but I'm not looking for anything serious... nor anything sexual. :slight_smile:

11. FruitFly

I'm more than happy to casually date until one of those casual dates turns out to be a long term lover. That's always an unexpected, but generally pleasant, consequence of casually dating that person.

12. kem

kem

what's casual dating? You should probably explain what you mean by that. I interpreted that as going on several dates but the term could be understood in many ways.

I'm not so interested in relationships that I would actively search for love but I don't see anything wrong in going on dates in order to find someone nice, sounds like a very common thing to do. Although I'm not looking for love, so to speak, I probably wouldn't say no if I were asked out.

As for casual sex... I don't care that much for sex either so I wouldn't go on dates just to get laid :grin: But I guess that's fine as well, I don't get to dictate how others should live their lives.

13. FemCasanova

You`re welcome :lol: Just remember to be open and honest about what you are after, so that you don`t end up being a heart-breaker. If you pretend that you are after something you are not, then someone is bound to be disappointed and hurt. But you are bound to find other people out there who aren`t ready for anything serious either :wink: Usually in the club scenario, but other places as well.
    (!)

14. I can't stand people enough for it, but if you want to, go for it.

15. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't really dated much. A few years back I asked a girl I had a crush on out, but we just didn't share anything in common, so it never got serious. I went on a date again about 1.5 years ago, and the same thing happened.

I would like to try casually dating, but I'd make it clear that I just wanted to start as friends, having a good time to see if we share anything in common.

16. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions! I would definately make my intentions clear to the other person I was not ready to invest in a relationship quite yet.

Also though I don't mind others who do this I wanted to clarify for the others who believe this for my case; there would be no sexual component to these dates. I'm demisexual so I need that closeness with a person and a relationship for that. I just want to meet up and chat with others... sort of like friendships with a romantic aspect to them.

Thank you all again for your comments and please feel free to make any more if you wish. :slight_smile:

17. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    exactly. This is basically how heterosexuals find the right person.

lt's a casual selection process, l've always resented not being able to go out with just about any girl and "see it how it goes" and l'd love to do so lol

Especially since l've been expected to accept dates with boys ''just because" and have been set up with them when people have assumed l was straight.

#37 OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  18. prism

For the sake of getting to know someone, I'm not against it. However, I wouldn't continue dating or begin a serious relationship if I didn't think it was going anywhere.

Now that I know what love feels like, I don't want to waste my time with anything less.

19. castle walls

I agree. If we're talking about casual dating that isn't about sex and isn't to meet a long term partner, I don't really see the point. I'm not against it because I believe that other people should do what they want with their lives but I would never do it

20. leer

dont mind casually dating myself dont see how you cant fall in love if you dont date first