1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career Fields - try again

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gay Deputy, Nov 8, 2016.

?

What is your career field?

1. Student

44.9%
  2. Public Service (ems, fire, law enforcement, active military)

7.9%
  3. Arts (culinary, author, artist, musician, etc)

13.5%
  4. Financial Services

2.2%
  5. Mechanics/machinist

2.2%
  6. Farming/Ranching

1.1%
  7. Industrial (chemical, processing, refining, etc)

1.1%
  8. Student

13.5%
  9. Retired

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Web Services / IT

6.7%
  11. Customer Service / Hospitality

7.9%
  12. Legal/Law

1.1%
  13. Realty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Medical

9.0%
  15. Counseling

1.1%
  16. Marketing/advertising

3.4%
  17. Business

2.2%
  18. Political Sciences

1.1%
  19. Education

5.6%
  20. Other

18.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gay Deputy

I'm sorry, trying to figure this thing out...it's not very mobile friendly. Just curious of the different career fields we all hold. This may offer a chance for some people to be of help to others in a particular field.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2016 at 05:25 AM ----------

I realize this is a coming out blog designed to help others. Us older members have a duty to help those in need, those who stand where we've stood. By showing we can be ourselves and be successful, we can help motivate those who are questioning. Our specific areas may incline us to be of more help to someone based on our chosen careers also. Just a thought...hope it helps

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work for UK's national rail operating company. In simple terms, my job is to keep trains running (ideally on time) and to keep them apart. The company I work for was re-nationalised a few years ago, so I essentially work in the public service.

I quit the rat race to do this job. I spent too many years working 9 to 5, crunching numbers and shuffling paper. No more!

Never be afraid to change direction - it could be the best decision you make.

3. Gay Deputy

That's really cool! I have a really close friend who works part time for the British Transportation Police. His husband was one of the few armed officers. They've both come over and some ride alongs with me. (His full time job is in IT and brought him stateside several times a year).

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had quite a few dealings with the British Transport Police over the years... in a professional capacity. :lol:

5. Gay Deputy

The difference in our law enforcement agencies is incredible. We've spent hours discussing it.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2016 at 05:48 AM ----------

I've been meaning to cross the pond and visit them there. I can't wait until I can actually afford to do so haha.

6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I originally worked in service management, then spent 10 years as a risk manager for a bank. An opportunity came along that made me realise exactly how miserable I was in my job and allowed me to get out of it. I'm about to start a new career as a gardener, I have a micro-business in print & design and on top of that I'm studying towards becoming a counsellor.

So after all that I suppose my message is don't get stuck doing something that doesn't make you happy. It's never too late to change direction even if you don't know where you want to end up yet.

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm finishing my graduation in Biology. I hope to start my master's degree in education next year!

Test is next week, wish me luck. :grin:

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still studying (Linguistics), but have considered freelance translating, teaching, or something involving lexicography... Not really focused on any one career path, and if I get to have several, even better!

9. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

"Other" for me! I do administration in an office. Specifically I book travel, which people always think is super easy, IMO it isn't! :slight_smile:

There's a lot of pressure on people nowadays to do their 'dream job'. While it's wonderful if people can, the main thing for me is earning just enough money to support myself and contribute to the family income.

That's not to say that I care only about money; I really couldn't care less about my 'title' and status at work.

That''s got me thinking how lot of people say things like "Thank God I finally escape retail/9-5 office job" and expect me to want to 'escape' too. Kind of insulting to the rest of us doing those jobs, don't you think?

Just a different perspective, so I didn't mean to offend anyone here!

Add to that I am very guilty of 'inverse snobbery'! For example it's annoying recently how all white, working class males without a degree are being tarnished as racist simpletons by some of the media :frowning2:

Anyway that is just something I thought of... hope no-one is offended because that wasnt my intention :slight_smile:

10. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    IT. Systems/software engineering

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in financial services. I'm with the private arm of a major banking and investment firm. If you have enough money with the firm you get me to help run your portfolio, your banking and your life.:lol:

12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Education! I'm an assistant teacher right now, and going to be going back to school to upgrade my teaching certificates and then getting a Masters in Guidence and Counselling.

To be honest, most of my school career I wanted to be an animator and worked hard towards that goal. Due to some (seriously terrible) events in high school, anxiety and depression led me to give up on that. But I don't even regret it, not even a little. I still draw and use my art in the classroom and I really enjoy teaching! :slight_smile:

13. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kinda the same. Working on my undergrad, then want to do a master's too.

#13 HM03, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  14. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a cashier at the moment - taking some time out of the education system so that I can work and save money up - but I plan on doing a university degree in English Literature soon!

15. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm studying English Literature currently - I'm in my final year, but after this I'm going to gain some work experience in the local theatre and film industry before going to study film scoring abroad.

I started studying English because I still wasn't clear about what I wanted to do at the time, and it kept my options open, but now three years later, I'm quite sure music for films and theatre is where i would like to be.

16. Brytaleith

Student.

By the way, you put student twice?

17. Gay Deputy

I think it was more of a personal perspective. No one wants to be stuck just earning the money they need...even tho that's the way it works out sometimes. My parents were stuck and miserable until retirement but they did it to provide for us. I couldn't be more thankful. I don't think anyone means it condescendingly...just that everyone deserves to be happy doing what they love. I've known since I was a child that I wanted to be a cop. I'll never be rich but I'm happy!

Lend me the money and I'll put it in a portfolio with you :roflmao:

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2016 at 09:26 AM ----------

I'm sorry, you only hve a few minutes to put your poll together once you hit submit on the main page and this site is hardly mobile friendly. That, and I'd just gotten home from a 10 hour shift lol. Still learning this site.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2016 at 09:27 AM ----------

Much applause to those continuing their education! It's something I never did but wanted to do. Best of luck in your adventures!

18. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Currently a student studying Japanese. I really want to be a translator after college but I'm not certain how soon after college I'll be able to do that.

19. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still a poor college student. I'm a history major right now, but I'm still toying with changing that. I also work part-time at Staples, but I don't consider that a career.

20. Linkmaste

I'm working to be a police officer or work for RCMP. It's my dream to handle terrorist departments and help catch big time criminals.