1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Sleep. Eating me Up Inside.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Love4Ever, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, hiding is hard. I'm sorry you are that anxious, I was super anxious too. I didn't sleep all night when I wanted to tell, I kept on hesitating for hours.

You could try to draft the letter and then decide if the letter or text message is better. Drafting helps a lot.

Love4Ever likes this.
  2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I'm still trying to decide. I've drafted the letter like six times and the text message about four times. I think I might do the text. I just think it will be easier to hit send and walk away. My plan is to send it when I'm home alone when my mom and sister are out of the house and my dad is at work.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't do it with that but giving news to which you might not want to face the first reaction when either you are out or the relaives are out is a good idea. Mhm text is easier...

Love4Ever likes this.
  4. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say go with the letter

5. soapboxnic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make sure that you have good support before you do.

Are you close to your mother? Is she a gay-affirming individual?

You are doing the right thing, and I hope and pray that she will be able to assist you.

As far as dating advice goes--I highly advise that you start attending support groups. And find a trusted therapist whom you can open up to about deeper core issues that often correlate with being LGBTQ+.

Try not to intermingle too much with toxic people you meet at LGBTQ meet ups, social media forums, etc. Be very discerning...

Don't jump into the first offer of a relationship or sexual encounter that you are given. Stay safe. And keep in mind, that sometimes the most vampiric people are the most charismatic and charming. People aren't always what they present on the surface.

Remember that love is not nearly as complicated as our generation often makes it out to be. The right person is out there for you. But you must be fully prepared so that you can best discern who to trust your heart with and who not to trust your heart with.

DragonBoys and Love4Ever like this.
  6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mother is supportive of gay people as is my father. My mom actually has two gay brothers and my dad has two gay uncles. So I won't be the first person in our family who is not straight. Though irionically I may be the first non hetero woman. (I seriously don't know one girl in my family who isn't straight?)

7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So here is my draft of the text I am going to send my mom on Thursday. I am really nervous so please be gentle. :slight_smile: Here it is.
    Dear Mom,
    You asked me some questions not that long ago, and you wanted to know the answers. I wasn’t able to give you any at the time, because I didn’t know what to say, but now I do. Do you remember how confused you were that I wasn’t into any of the guys who seemed interested in me? Well, I stand by what I said before, which was that they were not and are not compatible with me, but that wasn’t the whole story. Do you remember when you asked me if I rejected them because they were guys when I wouldn’t elaborate on why I was avoiding them? Well, I wasn’t able to tell you the whole truth, but now I am. The truth is I have feelings for women. I couldn’t tell you this at the time because I was still trying to formulate how to say this. But it’s true. I never lied about liking the guys I actually expressed liking. I actually did like them, but I never told you about how I felt about women. I have always liked men with more feminine qualities and for a long time I did not know why. Now I do. I wanted to tell you this because you deserve to know the truth. I know we have sometimes clashed and you felt I was hiding something from you or that I was pushing you away, which is never how I wanted to make you feel. I love you and always will. Which is why before I went away to school I wanted you to know the absolute truth. I debated over and over again whether to write this, but I just didn’t think I could find the words in person. I hope you’re not disappointed. I didn’t want this to be a big deal which is why I wanted to write this out in text. I honestly have no idea how you’ll react. I was hoping based on some things you have said that you would maybe already know on some level and this won’t come as a complete shock.

Is this okay?

DragonBoys, Drizzle, Vega222 and 3 others like this.
  8. Meander

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That seems like as good of a way as you possibly can, Love4Ever.

Destin and Love4Ever like this.
  9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! I hope it is good enough. I am so scared, picturing myself sitting on my couch at home in my living room in two days, or less than 48 hours now, and pushing send. I feel like my life will change but it will be for the better, I am sure of that.

#29 Love4Ever, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it sounds really great, although you never really mentioned still liking guys too, only women, which makes you sound lesbian not bisexual. It might be helpful to clarify that you still like guys too since that letter makes it seem like you only like girls and liking guys was a past thing.

#30 Destin, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Love4Ever likes this.
  11. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I will maybe alter it a bit. Though if I'm being honest, despite liking men still, I don't see myself dating very many in the future.

Meander and Destin like this.
  12. Nickos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take a deep breath and give it to your parents. My mother wasn't very supportive but she managed to accept it, I'm sure your parents will be as well. Everything will be okay and you will feel like a new person! :slight_smile:

My best wishes for you!

Love4Ever likes this.
  13. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the kind words! I'm sorry your mom wasn't the most accepting. I'm sure she will come around.

14. Nickos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ehhhhhhhh. I mean what can I do? At least she's healthy and happy. But thank you :slight_smile:

I gave it as an example so that if my mother accepted it your parents will be definitely perfectly fine with it!

Love4Ever likes this.
  15. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hit send. I honesty can't believe I did it. But I did. My heart is really pounding right now.

Mihael, Nickos, Drizzle and 2 others like this.
  16. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thankfully my mom is a quick texter. I am not sure my heart could have taken waiting for long. As everyone on here predicted, she knew. Go figure. Seriously, the first thing she said was, "she knew". So for all the people out there who think their parents know but they haven't said anything? They probably know. Thankfully, in my case, my mom wasn't upset at all. She is confused. But she was confused before, so in a way she hasn't lost anything but she hasn't gained anything either. She does say she doesn't care though. Which I knew would be her response. So all in all, I am happy.

17. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually didn't send her the message I posted on here. Perfectionist that I am, I ended up writing out an entirely new response. But I think it ended up being better and clearer. And I took the suggestions people posted here to heart.

DragonBoys, Forlong and Meander like this.
  18. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great that she's ok with it, congratulations on telling her :slight_smile:

Love4Ever likes this.
  19. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your letter was beautiful, and I'm sure that the finished version was better. I'm so happy for you, really. I think we all know that coming out to the family is an important step, and it makes me happy to see that someone has experienced it happily. This year, finally, I came out to my mum, so I understand your situation (all those nights when you can't sleep, that fear...). But, as you said, a mother knows everything. So cheers for you! :grin:

Love4Ever likes this.
  20. Meander

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And you did it, Love4Ever just as readily as I hoped you would. It's only going to go up from here.

Love4Ever likes this.