1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't quite believe I'm a lesbian even though I clearly am

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by highforthis, Jun 5, 2012.

1. highforthis

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am almost 24 years old now and I have zero experience with either gender, I can't remember ever genuinely liking any guys. When I was around 11/12 other girls started to talk about guys and I did not what all the fuss was about. I assumed these girls were lying/exaggerating and thought this was stupid so I didn't try to join in or make myself believe I had crushes on boys when I didn't.

I started to get suspicious that I was different from everybody else when I was about 15 and I had never found any celebrities or real life boys attractive (though the possibility that I could be gay still did not occur to me). I looked at pictures of guys that other people considered good-looking and still could not work out what it was about them that other girls found attractive. I could see that they were not hideous, but at the same time they never stood out to me and I didn't notice them unless I was trying to.

Later, a friend told me how she always got nervous around guys she liked, that her heart beat faster, blushing when talking to them, thinking about them a lot etc. I realised that this was how I felt about some girls I liked (I thought I liked them as friends at the time). This was the first time I thought I might be gay. This thought scared me, I didn't want to be gay and have something else about me that made me different from everyone else. I told myself I wasn't gay and (sort of) made myself believe it. I didn't have very many male friends at the time and talked myself into believing that I just happened not to like any of them.

I read online about something called "HOCD" and whenever I felt like I liked a girl or thought about cuddling or kissing girls I told myself it was just my mind playing tricks on me, even though I knew deep down this couldn't be true because I had never liked guys before. I managed to push the thought that I could be gay to the back of my mind regardless.

After age 19 I had a lot more male friends that I met through university. I felt no initial attraction to any of them, but some of them I knew liked me and I spent time hanging out with some of them (as friends) to see if any feelings for them developed. For some I felt like it wouldn't be horrible going out with them and maybe if I was actually in a relationship with them I would feel more for them, but in the end I didn't date any of them because I felt bad about going out with someone I knew I didn't really like that way. I still believed (or tried to believe) that I would meet a guy I actually did like some day.

At the same time, whenever I was with some of these guys I couldn't help feeling like I would much rather be hanging out with my best female friend (Katie) at the time. I eventually admitted to myself that I had feelings for Katie, but I still didn't think of myself as gay, rationalizing this as a "one off" and telling myself that I didn't really like the other girls I'd had crushes on in the past. I tried to forget about how I felt about her, I still didn't want to think about being gay and besides she was straight so there was nothing I could do about this anyway. We stayed friends for several years, but eventually drifted apart.

I haven't seriously thought about any of this for years. But I recently realised I have a massive crush on another girl and all of this began going through my mind again. She is openly gay, she knows I like her ( I have not said anything, it is just obvious) and I think she likes me too. I know the ball is in my court because from her POV I know she is gay, but she cannot be 100% sure about me because I'm not "out". I feel like she has been giving me opportunities to tell her and I can't quite bring myself to do it.

I still have a nagging doubt that I might not be gay, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I know it is really stupid and its frustrating me that I can't get over it. I have no reason to be afraid of coming out; I've never been homophobic (except towards myself), all my close friends are openly supportive of gays and many are gay themselves, so I know they would accept me no matter what. I'm worried that I've wasted so much time on this that I will (or may already have) miss(ed) my chance with this girl I like and I don't know how to make this annoying feeling of doubt go away.

I'm not even sure what I want EC to do for me, its clear to me (as I am sure it is to all of you) that I am in fact gay, so why can't I believe this 100%? I think I just need somebody to shake me and tell me to stop being a moron over it or something.

2. Cloudbreaker

I've been in the same situation you are currently in. It's not fun to know that you are gay, but are unable to admit it to yourself. But you know what? Sometimes you just gotta face the music and stop keeping secrets from yourself, even if the truth doesn't seem very desirable. Chances are though, that once you do open up and allow yourself to experience the world on your own terms, it will seem very desirable indeed.

And instead of worrying that you may have taken too long and missed your chance, realize that the longer you deny who you really are, the more chances you will miss. Because you don't run out of chances. You just end up with less and less time to take them.

P.S. I was nearly 25 before I could admit to myself that I was gay, so you are still a year ahead of me. :wink:

3. Ianthe

Hi, Welcome to Empty Closets!

This post is so similar to my life, it's hilarious. I especially identify with you not understanding what the big deal was when girls went all crazy over boys, and thinking it was lame and stupid. But when I had a huge crush on a girl in high school, instead of thinking I might be gay, I just figured everyone had feelings like that and they just suppressed or ignored them, or kept them secret. This was reinforced by the way, when I told everyone that "I would go out with a girl," they just reacted like I was being cool and open-minded or something. (Me saying that didn't make anyone else think I was gay, so I guess I kind of figured I must not be.)

Anyway, yes, you are gay. You are in denial--that's why you have these totally irrational doubts. There is no real doubt in your own mind even, it's just that you are having a hard time accepting it.

Come out to the girl you like. Do whatever you have to to make it happen. If you can't do it any other way, print out your post and give it to her. Or if not her, one of your other gay friends. The way to get past your denial and shame is to start sharing the truth with people.

I came to fully accept that I was gay pretty much instantly when I received a response to my first ever coming out. (I came out as queer to a friend of mine, because I still wasn't sure about the details, and when I got his accepting response, I thought, "What have I been thinking? Of course I'm a lesbian!") I can't promise that it will happen that way for you, but I do think it will help if you tell someone.

Like you, I had friends and family that I knew would be accepting, and it was really just my own mind that was a barrier. I was 29. I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing younger.

So, come out to someone, even if it has to be as "not straight." Surely you are clear on at least that much? You have liked a lot of girls.

Don't worry about the method--pick someone you know will be accepting, and do it in whatever way is easiest to do it, for you. I sent facebook PMs and text messages. And when I came out to my mom, I literally handed her a letter and ran away. Just do whatever will get the job done.

How you come out to someone can be important if there is a chance they won't be accepting, but if you know they will then it's all about what works for you.

(Right now you are just going to tell one person. Don't worry about the whole wide world just yet. Just pick one person.)

And just think, when you finally clear away your denial, you'll get to go out with that girl! And go do all kinds of gay related things with your gay friends that you already have! And it's Pride month! That's exciting. You had better come back and tell us about it--keep us posted.

4. Snowy song

Hi there! - First of all, welcome to EC. I must say, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought everybody was lying about the guys when we all hit puberty. I remember getting back to school in 6th grade after the summer (I guess that's when everybody's hormones decided to kick in) and wondering how on earth the girls found the guys so attractive! I liked them as friends....but....attraction??? I thought I must be from another planet. Okay, on to the rest of your post. You're really brave to come to EC and talk about this, especially if you're out no one. congrats! It's okay not to quite know who you are, or not to be ready to stick a label on yourself. Labels like lesbian or gay or bi seem kind of big and scary. You could come out to her by saying, "I think I like girls, not guys. I haven't told anyone else yet. Could I ask you for some advice?" She probably knows what it's like to be questioning/not sure of yourself, so I think she'd probably be flattered that you trusted her.

I dunno if this helps, but I hope so (*hug*). Good luck!

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, yes, you definitely sound gay and welcome! You've come to the right place to vent, ask questions and guess what? You're not alone! I know exactly what you're going through because I've walked in your shoes before. It's most definitely a scary thing, yet also very exciting. Embrace who you are; I love being gay, it's funny because I never thought I'd be able to say that with such conviction. I've known since I was 19, I'm 25 now, but I denied it because I hated myself. It took me years to overcome my denial and now, I couldn't be any happier. If you really like this girl, I'd say go for it; spend more time with her and maybe she can help you with your coming out process. Also, take your time, there's no need to rush things and most of all have fun and live your life for you, no one else :slight_smile:

6. highforthis

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies, I feel a lot better knowing other people had similar experiences to me! I really do want to tell people about this, but this little bit of doubt is holding me back. Its especially annoying because it doesn't even make sense for me to have any doubt as I have absolutely no reason to believe I'm straight anyway.

The sad thing is I will really just be telling people what they already know, yet I still can't bring myself to do it. I have always been a bit of a tomboy (not that this makes someone a lesbian of course), I have never once mentioned liking any guys to my friends (some of whom I have known for ten years) and I am pretty sure I've never been caught checking out any guys, I rarely contribute to conversations about male celebrities that everyone else seems to like. Whenever I meet new gay people a lot of the time they assume I am gay as well without me saying anything implying that I am. I once overheard a lesbian ask my friend if I was gay and the friend replied "Oh she just doesn't know yet". I have also been approached by other girls in bars occasionally who were assuming I was gay too. It seems like everyone (even complete strangers) are more aware of my sexuality than I am and this makes me feel like I'm being even more stupid.

And (I forgot to mention this in the original post) the only people I feel compelled to google for no apparent reason are always (attractive) women. That's kinda gay, right?

I will keep you updated on what happens. But I have a horrible feeling that I have already missed my chance with the girl I mentioned, but I don't know. I wish I had have worked all this out sooner and actually had the guts to tell someone about it.

7. Danninic7

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello and welcome to Empty Closets.

It is always a good thing to be honest with yourself and realize who you are. You are brave and wonderful. We are happy to have you on this forum.