1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancer Testing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by No One, Apr 12, 2012.

1. No One

Earlier this week I went into the doctors because of some issues I've been having, and after checking everything and doing a testicular exam, my doctor is worried that I am showing signs of testicular cancer. Tomorrow I go in for a testicular ultrasound and I am absolutely terrified of what the results might be. I don't know what to do or think...

This has always been one of my worst fears...

I guess I just need some words of encouragement.

2. Zontar

Even in the worst case, which is already unlikely, it wouldn't be a disaster. Testicular cancer is a curable condition. The cure rate, if i recall, was almost 100% if it didn't spread and 80% afterward.

3. speedracing22

When I was 14 I thought that I had the same thing. I had a small bump that hurt a bit, and I was convinced that it was something bad. I worried about it every single day for two straight years until I was 16 when I finally told my parents. I was scared as all hell. I went to see a doctor, and it turns out that it was something totally normal.

Ironically, I was talking to my friend a few months ago, and somehow we got on the subject, and he went through the same exact thing, and also knew someone else who did too. There are other common problems that have the same symptoms.

I don't know if you just have what I had or not, but I really wouldn't worry about it. You are doing the right thing by getting it checked out.

Also, like Zontar said, in the worst case scenario it's something highly curable....

4. No One

This wasn't something that I went in for. I had never even really thought about testicular cancer (I've just always been afraid of cancer in general). I went in for some other issues and pain in my groin, which lead to an exam, where she found some abnormalities, as well as some blood tests and such, which has lead the doctor to worry about it.

I'm not the kind of person to diagnose myself with anything.

I wouldn't be worried about it if the doctor wasn't.

I know it's highly curable, which is great, but it still scares me.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kip, I think others have already said it, but I'll repeat: Even if it is testicular cancer -- and there's an excellent chance it is not, since doctors usually act with an abundance of caution in these sorts of circumstances -- the cure rate -- not remission, but long-term, permanent cure -- is very close to 100%, and as far as I know, the only reason it isn't 100% is when people let it go forever and don't get checked.

I think anyone who has had a cancer scare knows what you're feeling. It brings you face to face with your mortality, which very few people your age have to think about. So it's perfectly normal and OK to feel anxiety, and to worry, and to have difficulty sleeping, and to run through all sorts of worst-case scenarios. But as I said... in the remote chance that the doctor is correct, you are talking about one of the most curable of all forms of cancer.

Please keep us informed about what's going on. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way. :slight_smile:

6. No One

Thanks everyone.

7. EM68

Good luck Kip! :slight_smile:

8. kellymporta

My best wishes to you (*hug*)! Hopefully it is nothing serious and the exams are just for precaution.