1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Trump or Pence do anything in their power to limit the rights of LGBT ppl?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Nov 9, 2016.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've posted this before, but I have ask this again since this is pretty shocking.

I'm not too worried about Trump as I am about Pence (the VP). He seems ultra-conservative and he has passed laws in the past that made it okay for businesses to discriminate against someone who's LGBT. Can these 2 people do anything in their power to rollback marriage equality or prevent LGBT from gaining equal rights in terms of housing/employment? Do you think we will still make progress?

2. Linkmaste

This is a tricky question and honestly something I'm even afraid of
    Don't forget Canada I'd influenced by USA so...

But I think we need to spin this a new way:

Back before gay marriage was allowed several states had opted for it. It was widely accepted in areas and a few where it was not.

Now like politicians they tend to lie a little about the stuff they do. This goes both ways and I think to appease the religious votes, Trump picked Pence for that reason-to collect more votes.

What worried me is that Trump said that Pence will handle all internal and external policies which means everything. But Trump is a liar and a moron so he could very well go back on it.

In the end I think think he economy has a more attention seeking concern than this. That's not to say it isn't important. But we might be sitting sucks for a bit.

But this is a matter of opinion. Its going to receive a lot of backlash if Trump starts hunting down the lgbtq community.

3. AlamoCity

Well, there are no federal level protections for LGBT people. However, Obama did sign federal executive orders to bar federal contractors from discriminating against trans people. A signature and that's gone.

However, most of your protections (or lack thereof) probably will come from state and local level laws and statutes. If you're in New York, you would be good because NY has state laws to that effect. Texas: still screwed even if Clinton won (unless federal legislation was passed, a big maybe).

However, another way that Trump could affect LGBT rights would be to direct the Attorney General at the Justice Department to not challenge state laws (e.g. bathroom bills) that many consider unconstitutional.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, he will appoint justices to the federal judiciary (especially Scalia's replacement) that will have a say on the matter. It would be unusual for the Supreme Court to revisit same-sex marriage as it is usually bound by precedent/ stare decisis (but it is only bound by itself since the body has the right to overturn itself, sometimes for good). That said, even if gay marriage were overturned, we would probably return to status quo ante and states would still have the authority to issue marriage licenses, but federal and inter-state recognition would be in jeopardy. That said, I would hope the issue would be nipped in the bud by district and appellate courts and the Supreme Court fails to hear the case and lets precedent stand.

4. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Being honest with you, I don't care

5. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I see happening is that LGBTQ marriage goes back to sole discretion of the states, as does discrimination. For some states, that will be fine but, for others, it's going to set us back decades.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right now, I don't care that much about marriage equality since I don't want to get married, but I can see it being a problem for those who already have the license. It will probably be left up to the states. I'm more worried about whether we will lose our jobs.

7. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my honest opinion, no. I do not think they will limit us. I truly believe there would be a huge, and I mean HUGE (get it?), uproar if they tried. More and more people are becoming tolerant of the LGBT community. Heck, even my VERY conservative mother (who used to think being gay was a choice) now believes that people are born gay. (However, she still believes that gay people should refrain from acting on it, but I'm working on that opinion of hers still... :wink:)

I was shocked to see how many people on my state's website (Alabama) were accepting of the LGBT community. A lot die-hard Trump supporters were actually accepting of the LGBT community. o-o

#7 Anthemic, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  8. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, reading these actually gives me hope. I'm not sad anymore.

9. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh definitely. I know there's far more important issues than this. I was just curious.

10. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not only can they do that, I'm pretty sure they will, probably indirectly. Not immediately, but they will. Probably push it on "religious freedom". AlamoCity explained very well how Trump and Pence can do things that affect us.

To me, the possibility of same-sex marriages being nullified is terrible, even if it doesn't affect me. I think that people that don't care about these kind of things seriously show a lack of empathy.

11. Linkmaste

It's still a problem though and it's still an issue. I just hope I'm right and they will leave it alone. I feel horrible for the young lgbtq in America.

12. alexidsa

alexidsa Guest

Pence is scary. Do you remember those times when Trump offered VP to Kasich by promising he would be the most powerful VP in history?

I'm not an American. Do I get it right that if Trump is indicted for child rape case, Pence becomes president?

13. DAXIII

Judging by the fact that Trump wn the election I don't think the "uproar"will be what you hope it is. But it's not like the people can do anything if they did. They would pout at first and then resign and accept it. I mean the blow dealt to them by Trump being elected is proof that "justice" doesn't win.

14. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From what I've heard, most of the people who voted for him just want a better economy. A lot of them didn't vote for him based on his marriage views. You are very much entitled to your own opinion, though.

With that being said, I hope next time, we have much better candidates.

15. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...I've heard both Trump and Pence mentioned while campaigning that they will retract what President Obama had approved including LGBTQ rights because they both have issues with gay equality and same sex marriages. I know for certain that Pence does because he is one of those individuals that do not care or believe in gay rights. In fact, throughout the campaign there have been many gay celebrities and entertainers who have mentioned this as being a problem besides other issues if Trump get elected President. In the meantime...time will tell.

16. eMei

Pence is a diabolical man. In the past he has supported funding for electroshock therapy, so the chances are he's going to come down hard on the LGBT community.

17. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pense scares me more than Trump. If Trump is convicted in the trial then, yes we face Pense as President and, that alone is terrifying.

Yes there are other issues, some of which Trump will be good on but, for us, until that trial is over, I can't relax and assume we are all going to be okay. We may not be okay, or even welcome at all in this country anymore if Pense ends up in the Oval Office.

18. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From Equality California, an email I just got:

We are deeply saddened and disappointed at the outcome of the presidential election -- in which Donald Trump was apparently elected as the 45th president of the United States.

Given Mr. Trump’s choice of a running mate and prior statements about his intention to repeal the Affordable Care Act, round up and deport 11 million undocumented immigrants – many of whom are LGBT -- and to appoint Supreme Court justices who would reverse marriage equality and thwart LGBT civil rights protections, we must brace ourselves for the challenges we will face with a Donald Trump presidency.

We must remember that our community has overcome serious obstacles and challenges in the past through education, organizing, building partnerships and appealing to the best in the American people.

Equality California will remain vigilant and continue to advocate for full equality and social justice for our community both inside and outside California.

19. AnnaClaire

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not sure, I don't know if it's just me or if I should even say this but I don't know it's like...some places I go I feel this tension in the air. I don't know how to describe it really...I've had my sister said she feels it too when she goes out. So I don't know if we're just being paranoid or what. (I know that doesn't really answer your question sorry.) Just thought I put it out there.

20. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people