1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I pass if I dye my hair?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spot, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My hair is naturally brown, like a darker brown. It's currently blond, probably a step below platinum blond and I still pass with it…but I'm kind of bored with it right now. I'm thinking about dyeing it a dark red…like I'm going to go back to my natural hair color and then dye over that. I wanted to dye it a sort of unnatural color but not too out there because I still want to keep a job. I don't know, I'm afraid that it's going to affect my passing? Would it be too feminine-looking? I'm pre-T too, I forgot to mention that but I present almost completely masculine otherwise. I still bind and wear male clothes so I pass, although I'm probably mistaken for a 12 year old lol. But what would you think if I dyed my hair a dark red or auburn color? Would that make me read more feminine or would it not really make a difference?

2. Hrafn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suspect it wouldn't make a difference. If you pass with blonde hair, I don't see why a different hair color is going to change that. Even an unnatural one. I see all sorts of people of all genders with hair dyed wild colors in my college town.

If it makes you feel better about it, I dye my hair and currently have gone red. On my very dark brown hair (w/out bleaching), the henna-based dye I use makes a nice deep auburn color. I sport a very short undercut and otherwise present mostly masculine. I am also pre-T. I pass kind of sporadically. Unfortunately, I think I come across like a rather tall middle-school boy, as I already look young for my age. People often think I'm a teenager, not in my twenties, a senior in college. But I'd say that my neither my hair color nor looking young have a real bearing on how I'm read.

Spot likes this.
  3. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the reply :grin: Apparently, blond hair makes your features look softer but I didn't know that before I dyed it. I just wanted blond hair lol. But like I said, I've had this hair color for probably almost a year and I still pass okay. I don't think my hair color has made any difference. I was worried because it seemed like more women have dyed red hair than men but I think I'm just going to do it anyway. If it doesn't work out, it's not permanent anyway :relaxed:

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think that it will make any difference. Like you have said, if it does not work out it is not permanent. If you like it and it makes you comfortable, I would say to keep it that way. At the end of the day your body is your body.