1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can animal abusers be child abusers too?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MouthofMadness7, Dec 24, 2016.

1. MouthofMadness7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So i visited my aunt's house. My cousin happened to be there. Her pregnancy is due next month. Her soon to be husband was there too. I really don't know the guy too well. They have a dog and he is a sweet dog. He was misbehaving so my cousin's lover decided to punish him by beating the dog senseless with a boot. The dog was yelping and whimpering. I wanted to help the poor dog but i had no say. So i am asking with baby coming soon, do you think he will abuse the child too?:help:

2. SrFrancium

The whole concept of abuse is taking advantage of something that is weaker than you.

3. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  4. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would report it, relatives or otherwise. Defenseless dogs need human advocates.

5. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People that beat animals are just as bad as people who beat other people IMO. Take a video if you see more abuse and report it.

6. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How do you mean you had no say? surely you could have screamed at him to stop it? Did you just sit there and watch him beat it up? I think you need to look at yourself as well.

7. MouthofMadness7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually did scream at him by saying "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!" but he just ignored me. Sorry if I misworded my message.

8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Sure they can. If they think physical punishment is usual and okay or have an agression problem, the child WILL suffer. If it's only for fun maybe that shithole's gonna stick with the dog.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't speak specifically to adults, but in teens, a kid who abuses animals is highly likely to be later diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder.

Now... that said, some people treat animals as subhuman and treat humans slightly better. But clearly the violent streak this person has isn't OK.

Equally important, though, is how does his wife act? Is there any sense of her being overly accommodating/pleasing to him? Often the violence isn't limited to animals, but the husband knows well enough to never do anything inappropriate to his wife in the presence of others.

There isn't much you can do at this point. Talk to the wife, make sure she knows she can reach out to you if there is ever a problem, and that you see it. Then, keep a very close eye for any signs of physical abuse (bruises) or behavior indicating fear. Ultimately, she will have to make the choice to take action unless there are clear signs of abuse visible on the child.

10. MouthofMadness7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    llp

She didn't have any reaction. She just sat there like nothing. I do plan out speaking with her. Just to sort this craziness out.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hurting animals can be linked to antisocial personality disorder (sociopathy), so I wouldn't be surprised if they started seeking out different targets.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's concerning. It may indicate that she is being abused behind closed doors. From what we know about familial abuse patterns, it's very common for the abused spouse to express no emotion whatsoever, or to quickly rise to the defense of the abuser, take responsibility herself, and the like.

The problem is... most of the time, the abused spouse has such shitty self-esteem that she believes she deserves it, or can't do any better... which is why battered spouses often go back to the abuser. So if you do approach her, don't expect her to open up and be honest at the beginning.

But you can at least start the communication and open a channel so that she has someone to talk to. Perhaps eventually she'll confide in you.

13. Lazuri

Like others have said, abuse of animals has been clearly linked several times to a lack in empathy and that can manifest itself in a number of ways, including physically or mentally abusing people. If your cousin just sat there and ignored it, I wouldn't at all be surprised if she was simply too afraid to say anything because she has been abused by him in some way too.

As far as I'm concerned, everything in this situation is an enormous red flag.