1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my grandmother and aunts out of pure annoyance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Robishere, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The other day I decided I'd stop by my grandmother's house after uni, like I do every now and then. I sat in the living room and talked to her for a few hours then my aunt joined us. We were talking about any topic that came up and in the middle of our conversation, my friend (who's a girl) called me.

Now, for the past few MONTHS my grandmother seems to have convinced herself that I have a girlfriend so she's been asking me if I do every single time a stop by her house. It really bothered me but she's 78 and very old-fashioned so I always thought I'd never bother coming out to her because she was bound to reject me, and I simply love her too much to lose her.

Anyways, when I answered the phone they began with their banter about me having a girlfriend and I got so annoyed that I hung up on my friend's face (I explained later lol). This is how it went:

Me: "Grandma, Aunt [name], I've got something to say. You probably shouldn't amuse yourselves with the thought of me having a girlfriend."

Aunt: "...Why?"

Me: "Because I'm gay."

It came out so easily that I even surprised myself. My grandma was absolutely shocked, letting out a big "WHAT!?" and her face scrunched up. I was scared for a second, but it was a very short-lived expression and she smiled only a few seconds afterwards. They both told me that they had no idea and that they still loved me unconditionally. We hugged and then my other aunt walked in (she's actually lesbian but neither she nor the family talk about it). I told her immediately and it came out just as smoothly as it did before. She looked at me with this face of upmost compassion, I completely expected this from her. She didn't say a word but hugged me the longest out of the three then sat down next to me and told me that I was the best.

I'd thought about coming out to my grandmother and aunts for YEARS and I finally did it when I least expected it, and out of pure annoyance! Point is, I'm glad I got it off my chest, even though I'd always dreamed of coming out to my family by simply bringing a boy to a family gathering.

Elliott39, Destin, Chip and 2 others like this.
  2. Seeejay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad it worked out so smoothly for you. My grandmother is a devil and i haven't talked to her in years. There is absolutely no way she would ever accept that part of me. Ever. Period. But that's okay, because i don't need everybody's approval. Just having my immediate family on board is good enough for me.

Robishere and Totesgaybrah like this.
  3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations that’s awesome!

Robishere likes this.
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stories like this are the best. And, to many, the most surprising.

One of my friends really worried about coming out to his grandmother, who he absolutely adored, and whom he was very close to. When he finally screwed up the courage to tell her... the response was "Oh, Jesus Christ, Joel, I've known for years."

laiminga and Robishere like this.
  5. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks to all of you for your words! For the first time in a while, I'm looking forward to my day to day life a little more. That's 3 more of some of the most important people in my life that I don't have to hide from anymore! The future feels promising, now I think I finally have the courage to tell the rest of my aunts, uncles, and cousins. From both my father's and mother's side of the family. Oh, the joys of having a big family.

Totesgaybrah likes this.
  6. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's amazing congrats I recently came out to my 3 most important peoope