1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All Writers!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sebby45, Apr 1, 2017.

1. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is cool. :slight_smile: I wouldn't mind doing something like that. I'm writing a novel that takes place in Brooklyn and if I could take a research trip there to get a feel for the area, I would. Not as exciting as London but it would probably help. :grin:

#41 ThatBorussenGuy, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome, I wanna read them both!

3. Dyan

So many writers here!
    I also write as a hobby. I've been experimenting with some gay erotica and found it was very fun to write. Though as I got deeper into the psychology of the main character I realized: Geez, this guy is me on so many damn levels. It's like I'm letting my subconscious talk to me. Now here's hoping that my silly fantasies can entertain others as well, and not just serve as outlets for me.

I usually write SF, Fantasy, Murder Thrillers and historical stories. The gay erotica was more of a challenge to myself - that ended up revealing a lot about my inner workings...

4. CharacterStudy

I write too. I wrote as a teenager/during uni and then stopped for a while. A few years ago I took it up again and am currently submitting. I've always had LGBT characters in my stories, my current MS has the most central LGBT characters though, with a romance.

5. Lazuri

I'm gonna bump this with some of my writing!

This is an in character post I made on the forums of a private World of Warcraft server where I RP. It's about when my Draenei character, Sunny, briefly visits her mother for some advice.

Sorry for the wall-of-texty formatting; the forums don't let you start a new row with a blank space, it seems.

Sunny was happily humming on a jaunty tune as she was walking down the streets of Stormwind towards her mother's house. Lady Sargosa had asked her to look into warding the new home of the Blue Dragonflight against teleportation and Sunny was sure that her mother had some ideas and books that would help her on the subject.
    It was such a beautiful day in Stormwind today—blue skies, shining sun, and a light breeze— Sunny could not help but feel joyful, and greet everybody she passed until she reached her mother's house.
    It wasn't a huge house, but it was enough for her mother and, occasionally, Sunny. The entire first floor was dedicated to her mother's magical research, whereas the smaller second floor only had two modest bedrooms.
    Sunny skipped down the paved path through the small garden in front of the house and swung open the door. “Sunny is here!”
    Sunny was immediately met with the sound of carnage coming from the next room, accompanied by squawking and the voice of her mother. “I swear to the light, you rubbish bird—I will have you for dinner!” it bellowed.
    Sunny sighed and stepped into the doorway to the next room to see exactly what she was expecting to see; her mother chasing an incessantly squawking Kun-Kun back and forth through the room. Sunny's mother made a lounge for Kun-Kun, but ended up falling on her face and the bird himself ran to Sunny and leaped into her arms.
    “What are you doing to my Kun-Kun?” Sunny coldly asked her mother.
    “Oh, you're back.” her mother replied as she got back on her feet and dusted herself off. “Are you here to pick up your insufferable pests?”
    Sunny's mother—whose name was Saanavi—looked almost exactly like Sunny herself, except older and much more sensible; a resemblance that had allowed Kun-Kun to be comfortable enough around her. However, where Sunny was ditzy, scatterbrained and incorrigibly happy, her mother was more collected, focused and realistic. She could have quite a temper sometimes, but she had good restraint along with it.
    “Don't call them pests.” Sunny frowned.
    “It's what they are.” Saanavi replied rather matter-of-factly, picking up a chair that had been knocked over during her wild chase with Kun-Kun.
    “Well—what did he do this time?”
    “He built a nest out of my research notes!” She shrilled, pointing at a messy pile of scrolls and torn out pages in the corner of the room. “They're all covered in—covered in shit!
    “When you gotta go, you gotta go. Isn't that right, Kun-Kun?” Sunny cooed as she nuzzled Kun-Kun in her arms and the bird squawked in agreement.
    “And there's feathers everywhere!” Saanavi continued. “This is a workshop not a freaking quill factory!”
    “If you'd stop chasing him around, maybe there wouldn't be.” Sunny retorted
    Saanavi sighed as she sat down in the chair she had just uprighted. “If you're not here for your winged nightmares, why are you here?”
    “Ah yes! The Blue Dragonflight has asked me to help with erecting some wards against teleportation. So I thought I'd come ask you for some advice and notes on the subject.” Sunny explained.
    Saanavi inquisitively raised an eyebrow. “The Blue Dragonflight?”
    “Yes.”
    “And they asked you for help?”
    “Yes.”
    “Why in the world would they do that?”
    Sunny faked a gasp. “You wound me, mother.”
    “It's my lot in life.” Saanavi smirked. “I'm serious, though—why would they ask you? The Blues are more than capable of doing that themselves.”
    “Normally, yes—but they're a bit short on people at the moment.” Sunny clarified.
    “I guess that makes sense. How'd you meet a Blue, though?” Saanavi inquired.
    As usual, Sunny has lacked the foresight to prepare an excuse to tell her mother, since she wasn't too keen on Sunny's adventuring. “I, um, stumbled into one in a-- errr....”
    “In a...?”
    “Tavern.”
    “A tavern?” Saanavi skeptically repeated.
    “Yupp!” Sunny affirmed. “Did you know they drink rocket fuel?”
    “Rocket fuel, huh?”
    “Yupp!”
    Saanavi groaned and rubbed the bridge of her nose in frustration. “Why were you in a tavern anyways? You're too young to drink.”
    “Mom, I'm sixty, err..... Something.” Sunny objected.
    “Sixty-four.” her mother corrected her, still rubbing the bridge of her nose.
    “Yeah—that!”
    Saanavi groaned once more and leaned back in her chair. “Fine, fine—there should be some books that address the matter in that bookshelf over there; the one that your stupid lizard is sleeping on.”
    “Dennis!” Sunny excitedly trilled as she noticed the skyscreamer sleeping on one of the bookshelves.
    Saanavi scoffed at the name for what had to be the twentieth time. “Dennis.... What a stupid name for a lizard.
    “He's not a lizard; he is a genuine skyscreamer.” Sunny insisted.
    “You know that 'he' is a 'she,' right?” Saanavi pointed out.
    “Eh?” Sunny exclaimed, wearing a completely stunned and stupid expression on her face.
    “Maybe you should check their sex before you name them next time.” Saanavi snickered.
    “I'm pretty sure 'Dennis' is a unisex name anyways.” Sunny flustered and quickly walked over to the bookshelf that her mother had indicated for her.
    “Right. Where'd you say you found her, again?” Saanavi inquired.
    “Fell out of the sky.” Sunny lied, while putting Kun-Kun down on the floor and starting to go through the books in the shelf. Kun-Kun immediately ran to his research note nest.
    “And the other one?”
    “Tripped over an egg.”
    “You know that you're the worst liar in our entire race, right?”
    “I am the best liar.” Sunny insisted, shooting her mother a defiant expression.
    Saanavi let out a deep sigh. “Why do you have to be so much like your father?”
    “Probably because I'm his daughter.” Sunny sassed back.
    “Alright, Smartbutt. I--” Saanavi started.
    “My butt isn't smart; it's blue.” Sunny interrupted, depositing some volumes that seemed pertinent into her bag.
    “Sunny, I swear I'll ground you.”
    “You can't keep me here; I have powerful friends.” Sunny maintained her barrage of sass as she finished packing the books that she thought would help.
    “You're just as insufferable as he was.” Saanavi muttered.
    “Maybe I am, but who is worse; somebody who is insufferable or somebody who falls in love with an insufferable person?” Sunny quipped, walking back towards her mother and stopping right next to her.
    Saanavi sighed in defeat, but a smile was apparent on her lips. She leaned forward to hug her daughter. “Never change, honey.”
    “I'm not planning on it.” Sunny replied, hugging her mother back and patting her on the head.
    “Good.”
    “I have to get going now.” Sunny told her mom, breaking the hug and trotting over to the doorway.
    “Be safe, Sunny.” Saanavi said and waved her daughter off.
    “Bye, mom!”
    “When your lizard starts laying eggs, I'm eating them.”
    “I'll burn your bed if you do.” Sunny happily chittered in reply as she opened the door and left the house.
    “You stupid girl.” Saanavi snickered to herself.

6. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write a monthly political column about my experiences with U.S. politics and I write the occasional essay, but never any stories. I've been asked to write a children's book, but I have zero experience writing stories.

7. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Sounds like you are on your way to success. Sci-fi and fantasy are nice. I usually get into sci-fi myself. I have been mulling over book ideas for years, but dedicating to it is another matter. I think it takes a lot of determination and courage to actually do it.

Other have mentioned LGBT characters. My first LGBT experience in a story was actually a Steven King story. I really got into the scene, and realized I was enjoying a homosexual encounter. It shocked me at the time. I was only maybe 16. It was something he doesn't normally write, but I don't recall the name of the book. It was about some traveler and it was not a murder or scary story that he is known for.

8. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was sure I responded to this thread. I guess it was probably a similar one. So far, I wrote 9 things and planning on my 10th and 11th. I only had one story where I had no LGBT characters, which was my first one. Between all 11, I have about 35 LGBT characters. I even had one story that only contained LGBT characters. I just love to include them.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I crammed out 9 1/2 pages of work yesterday, and I might take a day or two off to recover from my burn out until this film challenge I signed up for takes off.

10. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome!

11. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Another writer here!
    I usually write non-fiction, but I enjoy writing fan fiction as well.

12. poltergirl

Back when I was still figuring out my sexuality, I wrote alot of stories about lesbians. It was almost like a sign, haha.

13. Loves books

I like to write sometimes mainly short stories the odd poem. I don't write from my own experiences because that would be the most boring story ever. I did write over a hundred pages of a book when I was 14 back when I knew I was different but didn't know I was gay so it's a straight romance. A seriously bad romance it makes me cringe reading it now. Readings more my thing I like to add people to other people's stories and create new scenarios. Fan fiction of the mind. I can't write them down its not all of my own creation besides I like my daydreams too much to reduce them to words on a page.

14. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love writing! Whether it's a script for one of my short films or a story for a novel, I'm definitely there.

15. KBrandonSB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read plenty, recently started to write more so because of some work at college involving dystopian writing which I actually think isn't half bad. Looking at some of my past writing, I think it's just too cringy and from a younger age I suppose but never had a chance to write about my experiences not yet at least.

16. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a massive reader, and a shy writer. I don't think I could write something so deeply personal, prefer epic fantasy battles. Hopefully someday might have the confidence to try something like that though :slight_smile:

17. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always loved writing since I was a teen but never wrote anything that good. Then later in life I quit my job and went back to college. For English we had to write a 1500 story in the first person. I wrote one story but then inspiration hit me and I wrote a story about a crossdresser going out in public for the first time. Decided that this was the story I was going to submit and was quite pleased with it and got top marks. College led to Uni where I studied Philosophy but in my third year I also took a creative writing module. The assignment was we had to write the first chapter of our novel 3000 words. As I had a lot of uni work on having to also do two catch up modules I though my original short story could be expanded to save time. It led to a lot of feedback from the class and again I got the marks I needed to pass. I always wanted to finish it but due to commitments and time restraints never really returned to it. However after breaking up with my girlfriend a few months back I returned to writing and yesterday I just completed chapter seven with a total of around 18000 words so far.

18. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of us happen to prefer epic fantasy battles :wink:

19. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's possible to have both.

20. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who doesn't love an epic fantasy battle!

Honestly, I think most writers are shy to a degree.

#60 Sebby45, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017