1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Born with or Aquired?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Bastion, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always wonder. And this comes to mind often are people really born with a specific orientation/Identity or it is acquired through their environment or experiences in life. And do genetics or hormonal make up play a part in this or not?
    What other factors play a role in what makes a person who he is?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There isn't a definitive scientific answer about this, but the current studies strongly point to the direction that we are born with our sexual orientations and that there isn't a way to change it. Some studies suggest that epigenetic factors may play a strong role on the determination of one's sexuality.

It is very unlikely that experiences during a person's life determine sexual orientation. You can discover yourself later in life, for sure, but, again, there is no evidence suggesting that it is possible to change a person's orientation.

Poofter, Chip and Bastion like this.
  3. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Noted. I guess they have tried that through camps and therapy before. But they never succeeded. A person is what he/she is I guess. I am still learning and questioning through asking and sharing and processing things. And hoping to reach a better understanding and acceptance.

Poofter likes this.
  4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Negative societal attitudes can lead to long term suppression and denial. The idea of losing family, friendships and/or social standing can really send us to the back of the closet and there we will remain until the walls close in around us - as they nearly always do.

I think the changes in social attitudes around the world and the legal protections we have won have started to turn the tide. Whereas some people would suppress and deny their sexual orientation for life, many are now taking the brave step to come out later and live with authenticity and freedom and discover a level of happiness they never believed possible.

@Chiroptera is absolutely right in what he says about changing sexual orientation. There is not a jot of evidence to suggest it is possible. So-called conversion 'therapy' is really about shaming people back into the closet and hoping they will stay there. Trouble is, they (we) don't and nor should we. Life is for living... not spending in closets.

Poofter and Bastion like this.
  5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Bastion

I have 3 gay siblings...at least (I’m only out to one brother). I have a gay nephew, aunt, and, probably, a great aunt. I’m convinced that sexual orientation has a genetic component. Maybe with some sort of an environmental stimulation. Or, it could just be coincidence...

Bastion likes this.
  6. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well you must have an added advantage and a strong network of support even from family. I don’t think many people have that. I Don’t. 100% of my living environment, family, friends, colleagues, peers are all very traditional straight people. And some of them you could say are homophobic in some ways. And Anyone being different makes them uncomfortable in some way.

Poofter likes this.
  7. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to do a lot of this. I realize now it came from hoping there was a 'cure' so I could 'fix' it. Do straight people sit around and analyze why they like a certain type of person? I understand there is genuine curiosity about this but for me at least it was "why me" instead of "happy to be me"

8. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From my experience which is most of my life. They most certainly don’t. It’s either black or black for them. I mentioned that before somewhere. I have never heard someone introduce themselves to me as for example: “Hey am joe and am straight” Because in the world we live in general everyone is supposed to be straight. And what I still have trouble with and struggle to understand sometimes is why should anyone for that matter have a label.

out2019 and Poofter like this.
  9. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a story I read recently that some university did a study saying that guys with lower testosterone levels were more likely to be gay. I dunno if it’s true or not. I wish I could find it to post it.

I tend to agree with the science if we are born this way especially with references to occurrences in the animal world such as penguins and dolphins who can be found in same sex relationships. I totally believe I was born this way but I allowed myself to live a life that I was raised to believe was the “right” way. So I do also think environment and upbringing comes into play.

Bastion likes this.
  10. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    for some people, not all the label is 'liberating' not as defining them they are many other things - but for people who were repressed or starting to realize their sexuality it helps in understanding themselves.

Bastion likes this.
  11. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I see your point of view. It is a valid one.

out2019 likes this.