1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books on Coming out gay after marriage

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by headshaver, Apr 28, 2015.

1. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello
    I recall several books that many of you have referenced on other post - some older post - about coming out after being married. I can't locate the names of the books as they are part of larger threads.
    1. Can the administrators add a section in the resource area for placement of reference materials?
    2. Do any of you know the authors, titles of any books?

I made note of these two but there were more:
    10 smart things gay men can do to fine real love
    Finally out - letting go of living straight

There was another book written by a professional athlete who was married with kids and came out - can't locate the name of the book. Anyone know?

Thanks

2. CyclingFan

Both my ex and I read parts of "the other side of the closet" and "over the cliff", which are more about dealing with that part of the relationship than after. Some of the material was a little dated and not directly applicable but it was still helpful. There were a few stories about couples who had navigated all of this to the other side and maintained and even grown stronger friendships which we both identified with that we're helpful. Also, just knowing that people have gone through this already...when you're staring at all that change.

A section somewhere, stickied, of these sorts of resources would be helpful.

3. guitar

Gareth Thomas' Pride is my go-to book for anyone struggling in this situation. He was the first out pro rugby player. He was married to a woman for several years before finally coming out to her & then publicly. I highly recommend it. The way he puts his struggles into words hits home so perfectly - at least I think so.

4. archerrose

Out Status:
    A few people
    Opening Up is good for poly/open marriage
    She's Not There good for transgender

5. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone - hope we can get a section to list all these and more for easy access.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A resource section is pretty high on our list. Won't be next month, but hopefully this year.

7. mangotree

The Lost Language of Cranes by David Leavitt.
    It's a fictional story - but it has a Straight Married / Gay man as one of the main characters.
    Don't want to spoil it, but it's not all happy times.

8. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just finished reading Proud by Gareth Thomas. Powerful book. The letter he wrote to himself at the end was so moving. The chapter about when he came out to his wife spoke to my situation and was spot on - and the many stories of his struggle speak volumes about the struggle we all face each day. Thanks for the reference to the book!

9. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Another great book - a gay friend of mine who has been out for 10 years gave me a copy - Loving Someone Gay by Don Clark. Powerful - helps you see the big picture and is also a book that others can read to understand.