1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bleeding from anus

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by justinf, Jul 9, 2012.

1. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Sigh* Sorry if this is a bit graphic, but I'm slightly concerned so I need a little advice.

So, as the title says, there is blood coming from my anus. Now, I know this can happen, so normally I wouldn't worry about it, but it's been bleeding for four days now, and that seems a bit long.
    I've seen a couple of threads about anal bleeding, and they said that if it doesn't last more than a day or so, it's likely not a problem. Is doesn't say anywhere what it means if it lasts for more than a couple of days, though...

It doesn't really hurt most of the time, but there is quite an amount of blood when I go the bathroom. Like... dripping blood. To the point where the toilet water colors bright red. And it's not just when I go to the bathroom, I've had stains in my boxers too, although not a lot... just vague stains (and mostly after I've been to the bathroom).

Like I said, there's no real pain and the blood is bright red, so based on that I don't really think it's anything serious, but it bothers me that it's been going on for days now... I'm really starting to worry a bit.

I'm also not completely sure what could've caused it.. I mean, I do remember during sex there was this "Ouch!" moment, but I've had those moments before and it was never followed by this kind of bleeding.

I asked my bf and he didn't know either. Told me I should have it checked by my doctor. Now, I'm willing to do anything to avoid seeing a doctor about something like this, because having to explain would just be too freaking embarrassing. So, yeah, I wanted to try here first to see if I can get an answer like this. If not, well then at least I tried.

Justin.

2. i know you said you dont want to go to a dr but i would reccomend. it doesnt sound healthy if its been for four days and if you have stains in your boxers and the blood is dripping....

there is nothing you can do (that i know of) that can stop it, so i think your best bet would be to get checked over.... not what you wanted to hear though lol sorry (*hug*)

but drs see anything and everything all the time it wont phase them and if youre embarrassed about talking you can write it down and hand the note to the dr ive done that a few times, it works just fine.

better to be embarressed than to possibly put a serious health issue in danger....

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Str8 people also get hemorrhoids, which this could be. So I doubt the doctor would embarrass you by saying something like "well the only way this could have happened is if you had anal sex", if that's what you're embarrassed about... I'd get it checked out tho, since it's been a few days. As a long term health strategy it would be good that your regular or primary-care doctor (not sure what they're called there) is aware of your orientation etc...

4. Chrissouth53

Agree with this. I realize you are young but you should be completely open about your sex life with your doctor.

5. Aldrick

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you really should go to the doctor and get this checked out. My guess is that you've gotten a tiny anal fissure, and it'll probably heal up on its own. However, getting it checked out is still a good idea. One of the most common reasons people visit the doctor is hemorrhoids.

If you're doing things properly you really shouldn't be having "ouch - PAIN!" moments during sex. In the vast majority of cases, this is going to be either from a lack of proper preparation or from not enough lubrication. Your body hurts for a reason, it's telling you that something is wrong.

My suggestion is that you switch to using silicone lube for sex. It doesn't absorb into the skin or evaporate like water based lube, and all in all you'll likely find it more enjoyable as a result. However, just as a cautionary note, don't use silicone based lube with silicone based sex toys. Silicone hates silicone, and it will damage or destroy the toy. So if you use sex toys you should have both silicone and water based lube available.

Silicone lube is safe to use with condoms, which you should be using. :icon_wink

A helpful suggestion I'd have for you is to get a hand held mirror. Using the mirror see if you can spot where you are bleeding from and what it looks like. If you have trouble, you can always ask your boyfriend to look. Generally speaking, if I am not mistaken, if the blood is red as you say it's generally a result of something going on with the outside or near the outside of the body. When bleeding happens further in the body (such as in the colon), it tends to be much darker in color.

All and all, to me, based on what you've said my guess is that you have a tiny anal fissure. You can get these as a result of normal bowel movements, FYI, not just from anal sex. If this is the case it'll take a week or so to heal.

Also, it should go without saying, but no more anal sex until the bleeding stops.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone. I kinda already expected a doctor's visit was unavoidable, so based on what you've said I think I'll wait a couple more days to see if it heals on its own, and if not.. then I'll go see my doctor.

I have one question, though.. why is it so important to tell your doctor about your orientation/sex life? I mean, it's not like I see him a lot..

I know.. it's just that I'm still kinda new to this, so I still have a little trouble every now and then, especially since I tend to get over enthusiastic and rush into things out of impatience.

Thankyou for the suggestion! I didn't know that worked better than water-based lube.. I'll definitely give it a try.
    And yeah don't worry about the condoms lol.

Actually my bf already had a look at it.. he couldn't see anything. :frowning2:

Ok, thanks, I really hope so!

Yeah don't worry, we're both not really comfortable doing it if there's such an amount of blood involved :wink:

#6 justinf, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. KaraBulut

There's really no way around this one- you need to see a doctor as soon as possible.

After colds and upper respiratory infections, rectal bleeding is probably one of the top 5 reasons people come in to see their doctor. Most of the time it is hemorrhoids. Occasionally, it can be something more serious like a fissure or polyps. But when it becomes multiple days of bleeding- particularly bleeding that is visible in the toilet, it usually requires more thorough testing to eliminate more serious possible causes.

This is something that you don't want to delay any further. You need to be seen by your physician as soon as you can get an appointment.

#7 KaraBulut, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  8. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Guest

Im an RN and I totally agree with Kara. Get in ASAP. Even if its the ER, just get yourself checked out.

9. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh God, now I'm definitely worried. What the hell is a "more serious possible cause"? How serious? Aargh :frowning2:

I have an appoinment at 5 (it's 2:45 now). I called the doctor's office an hour ago, explained the nurse I got on the phone, and she actually scheduled an appointment at 5 even though they're supposed to close at 5.. said my doctor wouldn't mind staying a little longer for me. I'm so nervous :frowning2:

10. Aldrick

Take a deep breath and relax. You're going to be fine. It is true there are a lot of things that can cause rectal bleeding, but virtually none of them are caused by anal sex. What you're experiencing is almost certainly a hemorrhoid or some tiny anal fissure. Going to the doctor is mostly a precaution to rule things out, and get any necessary treatment so that you can begin having sex again.

You're going to be fine. (*hug*)

Let us know what the doctor tells you, and if you want I can give you some more tips on having safe (and enjoyable!) anal sex. It's unfortunate that prostates don't come with an owners manual. :icon_wink

11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so I've been to the doctor, and I didn't really hear what I was hoping for.

I explained my problem, he asked some questions, and then he had a look at it. He looked for the 'obvious' thing; hemorrhoids, but he didn't find any, neither did he see an anal fissure.. (but he checked for those just to be sure to begin with, because he'd already said that he thought it was unlikely my symptoms were caused by hemorrhoids).

Then he said that based on the things I'd described he seriously considered an inflammation of the rectum. (wtf??) He asked about my sex life, so I told him.
    Now I have to go to the hospital for further examination (as in, actually looking inside my anus :cry:), they took some blood, and he took a swab too. He told me what it's all for, but I forgot. Honestly I don't care what it's for, I just wanna know what's wrong and be healthy. :frowning2:

Oh he also said that if it is, in fact, an inflammation, that is mostly caused by STDs , so he took a swab for that, too. But I know it can't be from that, cause last time we checked both me and my bf were clean and, well, we're boyfriends..
    So I don't know how the hell I would suddenly get an inflammation? :s What does that even mean? Is it serious? I don't even know why I didn't ask my doctor, I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I hate doctors. Every time I go, something's wrong :icon_sad:

I wanted to go to bed early today, but I keep thinking about it... And the bleeding just keeps going and going. Just fuck! :bang:

#11 justinf, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. Breath.

You done all you can do for right now.

Give yourself a break, let the problem go for the night. You can have it back tomarrow

13. Aldrick

The good news is that you went and got a potential diagnosis. Take a deep breath and relax. Do you know if he checked you for internal hemorrhoids, or just external hemorrhoids? You can get them on the inside as well, and your symptoms seemed pretty consistent with that.

If the issue is swelling of the rectum, and since that was his thoughts - let's go with that - then you might have proctitis. That's likely what he thinks it is if he's talking about sexually transmitted infections. If I am not mistaken gonorrhea, herpes, and chlamydia can all cause proctitis. But these are not the only issues that can cause proctitis.

You're reaching the limits of my knowledge. I actually had to do some googling to confirm what I wrote above. These are all problems that have symptoms of rectal bleeding (or at least those that the Mayo Clinic has listed).

Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be fine. You don't know anything for certain until you go to the hospital to get checked out. You might want to take your boyfriend with you for moral and emotional support.

It's too early to know the cause or even the true problem yet. As of yet, you don't have a firm diagnosis, you've only ruled out anal fissures and external hemorrhoids.

(*hug*)

14. BudderMC

I don't know if it'd be worth it or not, but assuming you've already explained to your boyfriend about what the doctor told you, maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask him (non-accusingly) that he is in fact clean, just to be sure.

I only feel like if there was something there and you could know about it, it may help the medical people help you more quickly. Best of luck to you though... on the plus side, it doesn't sound like anything life-threatening, so hopefully you'll be back to a good bill of health soon enough.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I remember correctly, you said you guys are playing safe, so the likelihood of it being an STI are pretty close to zero. And I think you mentioned at one point using a toy, so it's possible that some bacteria got on the toy or something.

All in all, it doesn't sound terribly serious. An inflammation from an infection can be treated with antibiotics, and they have anti-inflammatories that can help with the swelling. So maybe you just need to ease up on the anal sex for a lil bit until you get a handle on what's wrong, do what the doctors suggest, and I'm sure everything will be fine, and you'll be back to be playing hide the sausage before you can blink an eye :slight_smile:

16. TheAMan

Inflammation of the anus, to put it simply, means that your boyfriend is screwing you a little too hard. It's basically the same thing with your gums. If you brush them too hard, they begin to bleed.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure that's correct, especially since Justin's doctor said that sort of inflammation was most commonly caused by an STI. Hopefully KB will show up and offer input :slight_smile:

18. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again everyone.

well, he did feel a little on the inside as well, so I guess?
    There were some things he asked, that I answered, that apparently were all symptoms of inflammation, that I didn't mention here because I thought they weren't important. (like cramps for example)

Thanks for the info, especially the link! I couldn't really find any decent information myself..

Yeah I'll definitely take him with me. And thanks for your nice reply :slight_smile:

I have no doubt in my mind that he's clean. However, he said he'd get tested anyway, as we planned on doing so in three weeks, but since I'm getting tested now, he'll do it a little earlier, too :slight_smile:

:lol: That made me laugh. And now that you mention infection and bacteria and stuff, I think that's what one of the swabs was for. I guess the way you put it it doesn't sound too bad, indeed. Hope you're right.

:lol: Oh, Ahmad, I was expecting something like this from you lol. I do appreciate you care :slight_smile:*
    *And FWIW, he does feel bad about it. But.. really, it's not his fault..

#18 justinf, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  19. BurritoQueer

I really have no input for this, it's basically all been covered..
    Except the fact of; Do you or don't you use a toy?

It's not of vital importance you just appear to be avoiding the question.

- Hope it's nothing too serious! Get well... I guess?

20. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Justinf

I too suffered just the same bleeding that you are describing(two years ago).After four days i went to see a doctor who gave the same diagnosis as yours,and of course i went to hospital about a week later for a colonoscopy(camera up anus)and it turned out to be internal hemmeroids which were removed while doing the inpection.

All in all it was a very simple procedure and i was in and out of hospital in 3-4 hours,feeling fine and no problems since then.

You have done all you can for now so dont worry to much(as i did)because it sounds very much the same and was sorted easily and as a bonus the whole procedure was quick and pretty much painfree.

Good luck