1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sailingonwards, Dec 7, 2015.

1. sailingonwards

I'm AFAB, and questioning my gender. I've been cutting my hair shorter over the past year. I've been less and less feminine when it comes to gender expression over the past several months. Last time I wore a dress was homecoming and that was only because I had no dress shirts and I still haven't gotten my suit tailored, lol. I wore a blazer and slacks to an awards ceremony over the weekend, and really enjoyed it.

Around six months ago, some person thought I saw a guy, referred to me and a male friend as "you dudes over there" and addressed me by he/him pronouns. although when I turned around and responded to him he was like "oh sorry" and I was like "no it's okay" (but kinda thought "keep doing that please, I like that")...

I'm not sure what made me want him to recognize me as a guy was the fact that I'm pretty sure people took me more seriously when they thought I was a guy, or that I just wanted to be recognized as one. Over the summer I was trying to find the right label for my gender, tossing around terms like bigender, demigirl, genderfluid, and when I posted on Instagram about it I got hate for being a "special snowflake." How lovely.

Last week, I was at the best diversity conference ever. I was in the lgbtq+ affinity group, and we were all supposed to introduce ourselves, say our name and pronouns. And I was in a state of gender confusion and was about to say she/her pronouns as usual, but then I was like "screw it, any pronouns" because I'm really still trying to figure it out. I started calling myself genderqueer. I was envious of the trans guys who had binders. I've been looking around the internet for binder recommendations.

Now I'm about to buy a binder. Literally I've entered the shipping and billing information and my mouse is over the "place order" button on the Underworks website.

I'm wondering now if it's okay to buy it if I'm just questioning?

2. Riz

Riz

I think it doesn't matter if you're questioning or not.
    Do you want a binder? Do you feel like it would make you feel better/more like yourself?
    Go for it!
    Sometimes we don't need so strong reasons.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone can buy a binder. Cis women, trans men, nonbinary people, etc. can all wear binders. There is no particularly identity you need in order to buy a binder.

4. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, binders are for people with things that they desire to be bound for whatever reason :grin: There are no rules about it!