1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding resources and sites to buy binders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BradThePug, May 19, 2017.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Updated 8/12/2017. added spectrum outfitters and frogbra.

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to mention Shapeshifters as a binding resource. They are a bit spendy, but considering that the binder is tailored to your measurements and handmade it warrants the price. Most comfortable binder I've ever had. Also they offer free adjustments within 30 days of receipt if something doesn't seem right. And if you love patterns, there are plenty of those!

3. Nickmeh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As someone who is starting out with this stuff I find this information to be a God send. I'm currently questioning my gender and I want to experiment a little bit to be sure and I'm really thankful that you took the time to make this.

BradThePug likes this.
  4. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh. My. God. Thank you for emphasizing these! I can't believe the people who risk putting it in the dryer. Just...no. Why would anyone risk that, especially if you only have one binder and can't get another/they're hard for you to get?? That risk is so not worth it!! Air dry it or hang it up about a foot from a fan and it dries just fine, even quicker than a load of stuff in the dryer does. Mine takes like 10 or 15 minutes in front of a fan to get pretty much completely dry.

And I've always used garment bags when washing mine. I wash mine in the washer, which ensures it's properly cleaned, but the bag ensures it doesn't get worn out (or whatever would happen to it without the bag).

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad that this has been so helpful! It was honestly something I came up with on a whim. Thanks for contribuiting everybody!

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Updated 9/26/17. Added shapeshifters as another binding site.

7. BiDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Please Read This! it could help!

Since binders are can be harmful, uncomfortable, and sometimes expensive, here is a small tip on how to make your own binder without bandages!

1. Take a sports bra that fits, but it’s okay if it’s a little tight.

2. Find a shirt that’s 1 or 2 sizes too small.

3. put on the sports bra and the shirt over it.

4. “Fold” the shirt in half so you can see your stomach (like a crop top)

5. Put on another shirt over your homemade binder

6. TADAA! An almost 100% flattened chest!

I hope this works, and if it doesnt, I’m sorry for wasting your time! Haha.

8. OtterGrump

Hey. I have something that might help to be added. People should try and see if there are any LGBTQ+ community centres in their area. Not only are they great places to meet people and hang out, but some a binder programs (or bras and breast forms) where people who can't otherwise get binders can get them for free. Also I have a trans-owned barbershop near me (haven't been yet) and it has clothing swaps and a shop for gender-affirming products (and used binders for free) and of course haircuts for everyone. So people can take a look and see if they have any places like that near them.

ErickWolf, BradThePug and BiDragon like this.
  9. noface04

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to bind safely without actually buying a binder?

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Updated and added binder exchange programs in this thread.

11. MaxDanger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just bought my first binder from Underworks and it's great. I have large breasts, so a binder will likely never achieve optimal results, however this thing is actually pretty comfortable and flattens my chest much more than I anticipated. Overall, I think this was a really awesome first purchase.

ErickWolf and BradThePug like this.
  12. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So in case anyone doesn't know (since I sure as hell didn't until recently), all you need to shop on Amazon is an address and a gift card (that's right, no credit card or any of that crap, so if you're not out yet and/or not old enough to have your own credit card, or simply don't have or don't want to use a credit card, all you gotta do is have cash with you and go to a store like Target and buy yourself a gift card with the cash). Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's all there is to it.

For example, since some (if not all?) colleges have a P.O. box for each of their students, you could just order a binder (I recommend Underworks, gc2b is also probably good, but I can't and won't speak for the other ones out there - many of those run too small in size, or are sketchy, or aren't made specifically for trans people and might not work as well) and have it sent right to your P.O. box, using nothing but your Amazon account (no full legal name or any bullcrap like that are required, either; all it asked for was 'your name', 'email', and 'password of at least 6 characters'), your shipping address, and a gift card with enough money on it.

I haven't shipped anything to the house, since I frankly don't want to risk that while I'm still living with my parents, but I've bought kindle books using just the card, the kindle app, and my account. I think the only difference with actual physical goods is that they need a shipping address and they send the stuff to it. Should be easy, crap-free, and safe.

13. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry if this sounds a little stupid, but when you measure at the larger area (= nipple-level), I assume it means you have to be naked?
    (I suppose it's a moot point if you have tiny/perky breasts, but with large & sagging ones, I'm not entirely sure that the measurement is better taken while wearing, a bra or not.)

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the site. A lot of sites will have measuring guides that will say if you need to do the measurements with or without out a bra.

15. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. What I've seen so far didn't mention, but I'll double-check anyway when it's time to actually buy said binder.

16. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I'm kind of needing a new binder (I can make do, but I only have one and it's getting kinda gross even tho I wash it, and while Underworks is decent, I think gc2b is probably better, since it's made by trans people for trans people, and the gc2b binder looks less 'rough' and less likely to show thru clothes, which is the reason I have a lot of shirts that I rarely wear). The only reason I haven't ordered my new one yet is because I need to know some details first, so I can decide to either a) order it without my parents being any the wiser, or b) wait till college to order it.

So, the kinds of things I need to know are what the packaging looks like if I order it through amazon, how inconspicuous it is, etc.

My only potential worries about the binder itself are 1) what's the neckline like (appearance-wise, comfort-wise, etc)? 2) Sizing? I'm pretty sure my size would be small, probably not medium and definitely not extra-small, but anyway, any tips for sizing? and 3) is it wearable with a lot of shirts? Like, it looks like it isn't the type that shows very obviously thru shirts, but I just want to confirm that before I go buy it?

Also, since this makes a big difference sometimes, the one I want to order is the tri-top/half/whatever you call it, not the tank binder. Anyway, thanks in advance to whoever answers this.

17. milomaybe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GC2B is always the best site to order from. Don't go for anything else unless you don't have the money.

18. Hawk

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've bought a few swim binders from Outplay. They are really heavy, and don't bind that well for claiming to be a binder. I personally think buying a size up GC2B or Underworks would be better for swimming than an Outplay binder. They do have less and more compression options, but even the one's that have the most compression don't actually compress that much.
    Also adding to how heavy they are, they get really hot as well, and just not very comfortable after a while.

There's a company Tomboyx, that has a swim collection. I also wouldn't classify them as a "swim binder" necessarily, but they're a lot thinner and more comfortable than Outplay. Some people have said they've worn a sports bra underneath that helped compress their chest more, but I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who has a bigger chest.

19. JRancher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is such an amazing resource! Would it be possible to add info on taping? I've seen a lot of people using it on social media and have questions...

20. Molko

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had planned to donate my binders to MORF but the site seems to no longer be active. Does anyone know of any UK charities I could perhaps send them to? I have five of them and didn’t want to send them to a dead address because they could help a couple of people.

#40 Molko, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019