1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding resources and sites to buy binders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BradThePug, May 19, 2017.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've started to notice a lot of questions about binders and where to get them at. So, I thought that I could start a thread where we all could contribute tips and sites. I can edit and add sites and tips into the original post, so, I see this as a sort of living thread where we all can contribute. I'm going to add the most common sites and binding tips.

Binding Tips

1. Do not bind with ace bandages for long periods of time. They are good to see what you would look like wearing a binder, but that is just about it. The bandages will tighten as you breathe, and can possibly break or deform your ribs.
    2. Avoid the cheap "cosplay binders" or the cheap ebay binders. While they may be tempting because they are cheap, they usually do not have enough flexibility in them. This causes the person to have trouble breathing and could possibly lead to broken ribs or deformed ribs. Also, binding too tightly can cause you to be sick.
    3. When buying a binder off of a site, be sure to check the sizing chart. What may be a medium on one site may be a large on another. Each site has a different sizing chart, and you don't want to end up with a binder that is too big or too small.
    4. While wearing a binder, remember to stretch. Otherwise, your back can get tense and you could experience some pain from that. Also, coughing every now and then helps keep things loose in your chest so you do not get sick.
    5. Binders can be very hot. If you live in a place that has a hot climate, you may want to consider a binder that is made of a breathable fabric.
    6. When beginning to bind, you will want to give your body some time to adjust. You don't want to just start wearing it 8 hours a day the first day that you get it.
    7. Listen to your body. If something hurts, then you know that it is not for you. If you feel like you have been binding for too long, try to get it off as soon as you can.
    Binding exchange sites
    Point5cc - gently used binder donation program (Worldwide)
    Point of pride - has a long waiting list. (Worldwide)
    Forge Binder Scheme (previously known as MORF) - (Must be 18+; UK only)
    GenderGear - requires a payment of $10 for a pre-used binder (Canadian company)
    FTME - Offers a free youth binder program (24 years old or younger) (USA only)
    Black trans advocacy binder grant
    Big brother used binder program
    - this site requires a donation, so it is better for those that have a binder already. (Site under construction)
    There are more region specific programs here if you are looking specific regions.
    Also, if you have a local LGBT center, check there as they will have information on resources in your community.

Binding Sites
    1. Underworks- they are really the cheapest of the "safe" binders. They do a good job binding, but they are made with a fabric that is fairly scratchy. The fabric also holds heat like none other. Great in the winter, pretty hellish in the summer.
    2. GC2B- These binders are a little bit more expensive. They are made with a much less scratchy fabric. They also are much less hot in the summer.
    3. LesLoveBoat- Much more expensive. They have a ton of options though. They have zipper binders, velcro binders and a lot of other types of binders. They also offer binders that are made for summer weather.
    4. Flavnt- They offer bearskin binders. I've never personally had one of their binders, so if any of you have let me know and I can edit your review in and give you credit for it.
    5. Outplay- They have swim binders. I also have not had anny experience with them, so if you have a review let me know and I can edit it in with credit given to you.
    6. Tkingdom- I've heard that they tend to run smaller on sizes. I've never personally had one from them, so if you have and want to give a review let me know and I can edit it in with credit given to you.
    7. The Discriminant- A couple of well reviewed binders on this site. Thanks to @FoxEars for this addition.
    8. FrogBra- Good if you are looking for less binding power. Personally, I something similiar to one of these when I am doing physical work.Thanks @Cody18 for the suggestion.
    9. Spectrum outfitters (UK)- Don't know much about this one, but they look like good quality binders. Thanks @Cody18 for this site.
    10. shapeshifters- has a lot of custom binder options. Thanks @Sebby45 for this addition!
    11. Danae - Offers various binder options. Made in the Netherlands, and shipped free within Germany.
    Washing and caring for your binder

1. Drying your binder in a dryer is always a bad idea. It will shrink the fabric and overall reduce the lifespan of you binder. Air drying is the best. The good news is that generally they dry pertty quickly.
    2. Handwashing your binder is good. If you are unable to do that, then use a garment bag to wash it in the washer. Also, fabric softiner will make the fabric more likely to stretch. So, avoid using it if you are able to.
    3. How often you wash a binder is really up to you. I usually wash mine when I notice that they are getting dirty. I have a few binders though, so that buys me some more time. You really just have to find what makes you the most comfortable. The more you wash it though, the more the lifespan has the potential to be reduced.
    How to take your binder off
    When you first get a binder, they can be hard to take off. I know that when I get a new binder, I dread the process of breaking it in. @FracturedWings provided the link to this handy image showing a way to get your binder off.

If you all have anything to add, post and I'll add it!

#1 BradThePug, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
  2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can this post get pinned? I don't want to be rude, but it would be nice to have a one stop shop for binder resources so new threads don't need to be made so often.

#2 Daydreamer1, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually ment to do that last night, I just forgot. Thanks for remiding me!

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem at all :slight_smile:

5. Zoneingout

Finally a website who actually take the time to tell people the safety behind binders. I've been fighting for people on sites to say that for the longest time and nobody does because no one wants take it seriously when it can be very serious. I don't need no binder I already have one but I wanted to say just has a regular member thank you I am glad you did this and posted this for the community because I think it is important

SamCha and ErickWolf like this.
  6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Updated 5/29/2107. Added links to binding sites and binder care tips. If anybody has suggestions feel free to post!

ErickWolf likes this.
  7. Hi guys! I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I used to get trapped in my binders. The first couple times I wore my binder, I got stuck in it with the compression around my arms and neck for about 10 minutes.
    This is the picture the folks at gc2b directed me to, and it really is helpful. Just remember to take off glasses and dangly jewelry that can get caught on it.

Tutorial - how to take off / get out of a binder by oddsocket on DeviantArt

ErickWolf and BradThePug like this.
  8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Updated 6/14/2017- added "how to get out of your binder" photo.

9. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do GC2B ship to the UK? I won a binder giveaway and the other person had to have it shipped out twice, each time it got lost. They didn't want to waste their money to keep trying to send me a binder so sadly I am now binderless.

Also discriminant.inc sell a range of well-reviewed binders in their trans section. Fairly cheap, around $10-25

BradThePug likes this.
  10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to GC2B's FAQ, they do ship internationally.

ErickWolf likes this.
  11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Updated 6/19/2017

12. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anyone know anything about import tax for gc2b binders, or is there a better alternative found in the UK?

13. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Customs charges ended up being just over £13 for each binder for me.
    Alternatively a UK company spectrumoutfitters.co.uk is releasing binders for sale in September.

14. Frankie louise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Very helpful thanks for posting

15. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any body know about binding as an MtF who isn't all the way out, and still needs to present male but needs to hide her tits? (it's only for a month or two) Is that a bad idea, and would it be bad for growth and development?

16. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, a reccomendation that jumps to mind is using two sports bras to bind your chest slightly, there's plenty of resources on this if you search it (some dispute the safety of this so do your own research before you decide whether this would work for you).

However I'd mostly just recommend slightly more strategic clothing choices to help hide them as binding as a practice itself generally causes sagging over time whereas simply hiding them through slightly bagger clothing shouldn't have an impact.

Edit: Something else that I just thought of was compression shirts/tops, I was looking into them earlier as I want to hide my chest more when I'm at the gym, maybe they'll work for you as the compression isn't extremely strong, and depending on the colour you get can easily be hidden under other clothes.

#16 Cody18, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  17. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wearing a hoodie to hide them, but it's hot as hell here, and August should bring even hotter weather. I wear two shirts at work, a normal tshirt or tank, and my work shirt(which is a women's cut, so has extra room in the chest to accommodate, and is already a size bigger than I need), but a coworker pointed them out, I just went with the "gaining weight" excuse, which he bought. But now I'm self conscience about it. I may try the sports bras though, thanks!

18. KenzyBell

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking about getting a binder but I don't know. I'm a gender fluid female and I like to dress more masculine on some days and more feminine on other days. So on the days I dress more masculine, I don't want my chest showing, but I don't want my chest to become completely flat. (I don't know if this makes any sense)
    Does anyone have any ideas for what I should do?

#18 KenzyBell, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  19. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, have you looked into minimiser bras? They may be something more suitable to you if you don't desire a completely flat appearing chest. (I've heard people recommend the Frog Bra, it's similar in price to some binders.)

If you have a large chest however a chest binder will not make your chest look completely flat regardless so if so this could be somewhat of a viable option. Although binders, if wore consistently can change the shape of your chest due to the compression they continue to be subjected to, so in your case it may not be suitable.

BradThePug likes this.
  20. KenzyBell

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll look into it. Thank you!