1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Billy and Todd’s gay kiss in Coronation Street cleared by Ofcom

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sokk, Aug 2, 2016.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Read more here: Billy and Todd's gay kiss in Coronation Street cleared by Ofcom | Metro News

The gay kiss received 67 complaints. Have they nothing better to do than to complain about two men snogging? Why do these people not show the same contempt for murder? Kylie was stabbed and you could see blood, yet no complaints about that? Todd and Billy being in love and kissing on the other hand is something to be outraged about. Ok then.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd wonder the same thing. A stabbing is apparently fine but a couple showing affection isn't. Alrighty. Perfect way to raise your kids.

Only near valid answer: 'Murica. :confused:

#2 Kira, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. Summer Rose

Not necessarily America, as it's a British soap that airs internationally. If it were an American show, you know it would get WAY more than a measly 67 complaints.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Point taken. I hardly keep up with television, but that makes sense.

Probably over well 200 for every southern state if I'm to be honest. Ouch. :redface:

5. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    67 complaints may not seem like much, and it isn't compared to the almost 10 million people watching the show. However, their Facebook page has many homophobic comments too. I'm glad Ofcom basically told them to shove it though, lol.

6. 741852963

This is really odd considering Todd has been in the soap as a gay character now for (googles)...11 years! He's kissed people before in that time, people must be well aware he is a gay character, and have attitudes still not changed in that period?

Now I don't watch soaps personally, but from what I've glimpsed of the character he is very poorly written (the usual, "straight guy" having secret gay affair, a tearful coming, followed by coming back every few years causing trouble and breaking up relationships) - maybe that might be a more of a complaint (the genericness of his character) - but just kissing?!

7. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He hasn't been on the soap for 11 years. He first arrived in 2001. However he left in 2004, then he came back for short stints in 2007 and 2011, only to be back for good in 2013. Yes, he has kissed a couple of guys (not that many though), and yes, there were complaints those times too. I love the character, but that's just me. I understand why he would annoy people though.

8. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Luckily those 67 complainers never saw Hollyoaks (maybe because their 1970's TV's only have 3 channels) They would probably die from rage after one episode. :grin:

9. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I guess it's better to be happy about the kiss than being angry at people for complaining about it.

10. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Here is the kiss btw, if anyone wanna see it:

[Youtube]hizOZbBHbgQ[/Youtube]

#10 sokk, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't understand how massive amounts of violence are perfectly fine on tv but two guys kissing is a stigma. You can stab another guy that's fine. Stab him with your penis and you're crossing the line.That said kudos to them and hope the show does well.

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Bit embarrassing considering we're twenty years on from Brookside's lesbian kiss (first pre watershed gay kiss on British telly apparently).

It'd be interesting to compare the number of complaints Billy & Todd got in comparison to Corrie's actually controversial storylines.

#12 GeeLee, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  13. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Lesbians are much more accepted though, at least that's what it seems like to me. Straight guys don't oppose lesbians because they find them "hot". Case in point, there only seems to be complaints whenever two guys kiss on tv, lesbians kissing don't get the same reaction at all.

14. 741852963

Ah right.

I don't think he is a good "gay" character, although he might well be a good soap opera villain.

It seems his basic role is to turn up every now and again, bitch a bit and cause trouble.

I know the basics of the soap (as the family have always watch it), but I really didn't like that they had him turning up and "seducing" Marcus, breaking up his relationship with Maria.

Marcus could have been a really good character, showing a side of the LGBT that isn't oft seen: people who do have fluid sexuality - he didn't "convert" to being straight. He was a very openly gay character in gay relationships who just happened to find his attractions shifted. And then they have Todd turn up and "turn him" back or make him look like a fraud which seems cheap.

15. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That Marcus storyline was horrible, really embarrassing. It was a mess. It is completely different with Billy. Todd actually cares about him, even loves him. Marcus was more of a fling, lust, or a stupid project to see if he could "turn" him. Btw, I disagree with you, a gay man suddenly marrying and having sex with a woman is not "progress", it just fuels the homophobia of people thinking it's actually possible for gay men to "turn straight" and I find it disgusting that they would allow a storyline like that on tv. If you want to represent fluidity, fine, do it with an actual bisexual character, not an openly proud gay man who all of a sudden found an attraction for women, WTF?! It was a mess and all over the place. I'm fine with that storyline ending.

Todd is not as mean as he used to be btw, he's not a "villain" anymore per se, he still has some of that manipulative and conniving side to him, but he has softened a lot. He has had many wonderful scenes with people he cares about these last few months, like Eileen, Jason, Sarah, Billy, even Tracy. I'm sure he's not completely redeemed though, as he still has that "mean" side to him, but he's not JUST that, he's not just evil or manipulative. Todd is a complex character with good and bad sides. And they have other more "normal" gays on the show too, Billy is a vicar and then there's Sean, just your regular guy. So I don't really mind Todd's portrayal tbh, at least not after they softened him a bit.

16. Sagume Kishin

Heaven forbid 2 men kiss!

What? people violently murdering each other in the bloodiest way possible? literal explosions of blood and guts?
    Perfectly fine I say!

:bang:

I don't watch Coronation Street enough to comment, but it sounds like enough stuff has happened it's stupid they choose this to get all prissy about.
    Like always. sigh

Do other soaps get this kind of reaction when 2 men kiss?

17. Synesthesia

Weird that people think complaining will work even if it bothers them. There have been gay characters kissing on UK TV for years now.