1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest disadvantage of being a gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonybg, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Siarad

The numbers game -

In an ideal world I would like to be able to meet a girlfriend through work or a social club and get to know her over time, gradually realising that there might be certain feelings there.

However, the odds of meeting a woman in those circumstances who is gay, is attracted to me and who I am attracted to - seems astronomical.

2. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm bi but whenever I've had crushes on guys it's hard to tell if they are interested in me or not.

3. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Completely agree with the issue of meeting someone who is also into girls. Societal attitudes are a pain but the main issue is the assumption that everyone is straight and there is only 10 of the population that identifies as lgbti. I don't like clubbing so I can't meet a girl there and online dating doesn't work but I'm hoping when the right girl comes along we can be friends and then it will just fall into place ie we find out we are both into girls. I think this was a great thread question. As for the person above who identified as having a mental illness I think society has a long way to go in that field, it is kind of like the stigma gay people had when I was younger and before my time. There is a huge stigma and I know we weren't taught how to speak to people with mental illness at school, I can only hope it is being taught nowadays in schools. If you ever want to talk I'll listen.

4. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that people are confused about this, so allow me to clear things up. There are no disadvantages to being gay or any other sexual orientation. There is however, huge disadvantages to bigoted, ignorant, poisonous people existing. The sad thing is that there are so many people like that, to the point that it has become fairly reasonable for someone to mistakenly think that there are actually any disadvantages and problems with being gay or any other sexual orientation. It isn't the sexual orientation that's the problem though. The problem is the distorted and demented minds of heartless people. Never get the two confused.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Excellent point. I'm gay, just as I am 6 feet tall, the disadvantages come from some homophobic environments that some of us happen to live in. Even having kids is possible, being gay is no impediment to that.

6. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Right now, I fear losing my job if people find out I'm gay.