1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest advantage of being LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lyana, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

For me, the biggest advantage is empathy. I can't say, with absolute certainty, that I would have grown up to be insensitive toward people's individual differences if I were not LGBT, but I know that part of why I am AS attuned as I am to how much of a treasure each individual, unique, quirky and imperfect person is has something to do with the fact that I have had to go through accepting that I am gay.

I think that you become a better person if you go through the process of accepting anything about yourself that makes you a unique, perhaps imperfect individual. Embracing the fact that all of us deserve to be loved is the easiest way to embrace yourself when you are not sure whether or not to accept yourself, and going through this process can make you more of a whole person than someone who has never gone through such an experience. I think that straight people would be happier people if they found a way to do it.

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have to, nor am I expected to be, the provider.

I don't have to foot the bill for dinner, drinks, or anything else.

I don't have to live up to some idiotic image of medieval chivalry.

I don't have to go out of my way too 'woo' anyone. I don't have to jump through hoops just to get the attention of someone I like.

No unwanted pregnancies.

I could probably go on all day.

3. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a lot...

Well, we're friggin fabulous! Nothing beats freedom of expression. I also agree with some things said earlier, like sharing clothes and not worrying about gender roles. A big one, though, is that a lot of us tend to be more open-minded and accepting of others because of our own experiences and tight-knit community.

#23 ErickWolf, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Increased empathy is always there... it's not so much an advantage for ourselves or the individual but rather for others.

You might get some respect from your peers for coming out and not crying about it...

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Learning to accept yourself, and getting out stronger and realizing it's a community where most are there for you and having the feeling of fitting in for once.
    Finally being able to express self positively.
    Also the clothes thing. I exchange clothes with my girlfriend often, sometimes they end up staying at the wrong house.
    Also, for girl/girl relationships, as I prefer females, having them understand your period. It sounds so weird when I say it xD
    But yeah, it's so helpful.
    I told my girlfriend I was in pain on my period, she walked to my house (ten minutes away) and sat down and attended to me while we snuggled~

#25 loveislove01, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  6. Im Hazel

For me, there are moments when I feel so wonderfully feminine. I think it's called gender euphoria, or something. ^^ Anyway, if I wasn't transgender, I probably wouldn't get that. Though it's rare, for me...

7. TheJackC

We're more accepting. Much more. If you aren't accepted much, and you know how bad it feels, you wouldn't want others people to feel like that.

8. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being a girl without getting periods and risking pregnancy..

9. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

Like so many before me have mentioned I think that being LGBT makes people much kinder and more empathetic towards minorities and pretty much eveyone else. The whole coming out process gives us a different perspective on life. And lets not forget the fact that our flag is a rainbow...(!)

10. Siarad

All the fantastic friends I've met and the sense of a shared, inclusive community. I am part of a brilliant gay walking group, book group, etc and I was talking to a straight friend who is feeling quite lonely and isolated. He said that he would love something like the groups that I am part of and it dawned on me that some of that support is harder to find in the 'straight community'.

And this.

11. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

-Being able to check people out without them suspecting you of anything
    -Most people you date are going to be pretty accepting/non jerky people(I would think I've never dated much before:slight_smile: )
    -You can meet a bunch of other awesome people like everyone on EC

Also I think becoming more familiar with the LGBT+ community in general has helped me to become a better, more accepting person. Before I started questioning my sexuality, I just didn't think much about what it was like to be LGBT+ and I didn't really think about the struggles of "minorities" in general.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Save money on birth control and tamp ons if it's 2 guys.

13. C P

C P

There are none? .-. At least not around here, if you don't fit certain checklists...

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. I see where you're coming from. And this makes a lot of sense if you've ever had any of this entitled attitude come your way. Whew.

Some straight / Kinsey 0 type guys will allow themselves to be dragged through the mud for these privileges, if that's what someone wants to call them.

15. Hizaki

My parents stopped bugging me about the opposite sex. That's a huge win.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know some GLB types who are way wittier and more interesting, on average, than their straight counterparts. And I still like my fully straight friends who are the majority of my friends, but they are also very cool.

17. Pierrot

Pierrot Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Nicer people. While in the hospital, there was this group of lgbt people who took me under their wing when i got moved to the adult ward. They made sure that i didn't get lost or left behind and always felt included.

18. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The fact I can enjoy any movie no matter the target audience. Action movie for the guys? Hot main character. Chick-flick or teen drama for the girls? Hot love interest.

Not having to deal with girl mood swings/girls in general. Sorry ladies, but I've seen so many things online about how crazy girls can be, and I'm glad I won't have to deal with that.

Of course, I haven't had a boyfriend yet but in general we will probably be able to share clothes, plus we can do the same workout routines and stuff.

Being bitchy. I know this sounds wrong, but one of the perks I like about being gay is being sassy in a bitchy way, like throwing shade or whatever.

There are probably way more, but these ones were just personal ones that came to mind.

19. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great thread idea. I'm not sure about the biggest advantage I'll have to get back to you on that when I'm "out"

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see much for me. The only advantage is now that I have male privilege, and that's about it.