1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big step for me - just updated my gender and "Interested in" on Facebook

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by cakepiecookie, Jul 5, 2018.

1. cakepiecookie

Quick question before my long ramble: Anyone just update their Facebook preferences without making a big announcement? Did anyone notice or say anything?

So my never-ending coming out saga... I'm in my 30s now and have been varying degrees of out since I was 19. I ended up unintentionally re-closeted when I married a man, and then had to come out to (new) friends a few years ago when we divorced. Thing is, even though my sexuality isn't officially a secret, there are tons of people who don't know because I told myself there wasn't a pressing reason to tell them. This includes family, ex in-laws, and some friends. :-/

My gender is a bigger secret. No one knows I don't identify as fully female, and I'm still not 100% ready to take about it.

I've lived in this weird limbo for years now, never really knowing who knows what about me. Even though I tell myself I'm not hiding anything, the reality is I totally am. I don't always correct people when they assume I'm straight, and I often censor myself when talking about LGBTQ issues. It's exhausting and I feel like I'm hiding an important part of myself (probably because I am...).

Anyway. Tonight I finally decided I'd just had enough and updated my Facebook profile. Changed my preference to women and my gender to "Whatever". Leaving my pronouns as female... for now.

No one will even see it unless they care to look (though I think it did briefly post it to my timeline before I deleted it??), but it's still there in black and white for all my friends to see.

I've also resigned to start correcting people every time they assume I'm straight.

I'm just over it. I refuse to hide anymore.

Sorry for the ramble, just had to put my thoughts into writing. I this seems like a really minor thing, but for me, it's big.

2. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am glad you are doing this. Seems like a good thing for you to do.

If they notice or not, I am glad you are being you even more than you were before.

Here to you being you.

TM

3. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck to you. Facebook is tricky for me. My friends list is a conglomerate of family, friends, acquaintances , friends of my kids, and co workers. I'm very careful on it and don't want my personal information spread about like wildfire. I've thought about doing what you did but there are too many people there who I can't really trust to be supportive.

4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Right there in blacko and blanco. I think that is just right. If they wanna know, they know. If not, not.