1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi Phase

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LilLady9, Mar 2, 2022.

1. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're gay and went through a bi phase, how long was it?

A week, one month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 10 years+?

While I do agree many gay people go through a bi phase, I don't think the majority of bi people are actually gay and just haven't realized it. If that makes sense..

I'm curious about phase length as being some sort of variable.

What I mean is, most gay people I have met who went through a bi phase, have said it was only a few months, if that.

As someone who has identified as bi for nearly 15 years, the idea that it's just a phase is quite silly, in my eyes.

#1 LilLady9, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    ThxSens8 likes this.
  2. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if I'd call it a phase but I've identified as bi since I was like 16 and I'm now 33, it doesn't feel right anymore so I'm identifying as queer or a lesbian.

LilLady9 likes this.
  3. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh wow, very interesting. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any idea why now? Why not when you were, say, 26?

Although you said you wouldn't call it a phase, that's the longest I've heard someone identify as bi and then start identifying as something else.

4. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got into a long term relationship with a man, it's been 8.5 years, just recently became poly and am dating a woman so it's been very eye-opening. I mean I've been in a relationship with a woman before but now I'm also realizing that I don't really find men very attractive. Not super into hetero sex.

LilLady9 likes this.
  5. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Things change, right? But it's one thing to recognize that your attractions have changed, and quite another thing to say that all your past attractions to one gender were just not real.

The two of you seem to be talking about a change in attraction, not a denial of past attractions. People who use the bi label on the path to gay are often holding on to the hope of a straight-passing relationship, and their straight attractions are not nearly as deep or real as the gay ones.

You two, at least to me, sound like you were truly bisexuals, but now you are shifting more towards one side, and if it feels authentic, it is, right?

6. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I'm bi and I go through straight phases and gay phases multiple times per day. It's pretty awesome.

gravechild and LilLady9 like this.
  7. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah it feels more authentic now for sure, I'm still very confused about my deal with dating men so much and all that. I'm Judy not attracted to men's bodies and didn't have a great time with them.

ThxSens8 likes this.
  8. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bi. Always have been and always will be. Haha. :slight_smile:

Sorry if my OP was a bit confusing.

#8 LilLady9, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    ThxSens8 likes this.
  9. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oops, I misread your post!

LilLady9 likes this.
  10. zgaynz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While technically I'm still bi, I identify as gay because that's how I pretty much feel. It took me 2.5 years from when I accepted I was bisexual (Kinsey two) until the time I accepted I was predominantly gay (Kinsey five). I went up the scale, three and then a four before accepting I was a five, with each rating having what I call an adjustment period to see if it felt right. The higher I went, the more right it felt. I do from time to time find women attractive but that's not where I see my future any more.

LilLady9 likes this.
  11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're conflating two separate things.

People who are genuinely bisexual obviously don't have a 'phase.' They're bisexual. They feel attraction to both sexes.

But there are a lot of gay people (seems more common with guys than with girls, but that could be sampling bias) who, when they first come out, aren't ready to completely give up on the idea that they could still end up with the opposite sex. As I've said probably a zillion times, the processing of the loss of one's identity as straight takes time, and Kubler-Ross's Stages of Loss (denial-anger-bargaining-depression-acceptance) applies. So for the person that says "yeah, ok, I admit I like the same sex, but I can still end up with the opposite sex"... that's a bridge identity. A part of them probably knows it's bullshit, but desperately hopes that it isn't.

Note this applies to people who are genuinely gay, not those who are genuinely bi.

And that person is going to identify as bisexual. They'll continue to do so until they become comfortable with the idea that they really don't have any attraction to the opposite sex, and are comfortable with admitting they were wrong. The second one is usually harder than the first.

I have several friends who vehemently, adamantly corrected anyone who said they were gay, saying "Actually, I'm bi." And then... several years later, acknowledged that they were, in fact, gay, and had been all along.

One friend even posted on his Myspace "I'm bisexual gay (Oh well, it was worth a try and good while it lasted). Which I thought was a hilarious way to acknowledge it.

Long and short... I don't think there's a "bi phase." I think there are gay people that get stuck in the bargaining phase, who are using a bridge identity, and eventually get past that. And there are folks who are genuinely bisexual.

The problem is, of course, the folks who are using bisexuality as a bridge identity are doing an enormous disservice to those who are genuinely bisexual. But it's not something that's going to change.

#11 Chip, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    itsuka, dch, CapnMal and 4 others like this.
  12. hopefulB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought of myself as bi for almost twenty years, though deep down knowing I was probably gay. I absolutely used bi as a bridge identity. So I was doing a disservice to bi people but I know I was doing it out of self protection.

13. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your thoughtful response, @Chip.

I appreciate that you pointed out how it's doing a disservice to me and all other bisexuals.

Perhaps we could encourage people to use the term bridge identy or bargaining phase? Or would that not work, as people in this phase/bridge identity genuinely believe they are bisexual? However, as you said, it seems as many people actually know it's complete BS.

#13 LilLady9, Mar 3, 2022
  14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it varies for each person. For most, I think the bargaining phase, by definition, means they are still somewhat in denial and yet clutching onto acceptance. Literally holding two completely opposite thoughts at the same time. So they probably don't realize that it's a bridge identity, nor would they likely admit they are in the bargaining phase.

Also, bargaining can last 15 minutes for some people, and years for others. For the 'years' folks, my guess is they probably have figured it out long before they come out, they just are deathly afraid or have practical reasons why they can't publicly admit it.

But this points out that this would actually be an interesting survey to do here... to see how much awareness people had when they went through their coming out process. I suspect it's what I said, but I've never actually looked for any research on it.

#14 Chip, Mar 3, 2022
    LilLady9 likes this.
  15. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would be super interesting! Maybe you or I could set up a poll or something. Or simply create a discussion about it and see what people have to say.

#15 LilLady9, Mar 3, 2022
  16. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've wondered if I was straight/gay and lying to myself somehow- but if I said I was either one I think I'd actually be lying to myself. 'Picking' either one would be ignoring the fact I've fallen in love with both sexes and enjoyed kissing both. Sure I went through a long period of trying to force things with guys at one point because I felt like I was supposed to, and thought it would make me happier to have somebody (it didn't, I just broke a few dude's hearts and I really regret that). I'd had my heart broken really badly too (long story) and never let anyone fully in, until my girlfriend came along last summer. Case in point, I realized I have a lot of internalized stuff and it's why I was so self unaware and in denial. I am bi, and I have been all along.

ThxSens8 likes this.
  17. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That kind of summarizes how (I think) most bisexuals struggle under society's idea that you're either one or the other.
    It's a struggle that is really hard when bisexuality is almost never presented as an option or as an acceptable option. We really struggle with the idea that only single-attraction is legitimate, because we feel authentic sexual/romantic attraction to more than one gender.

I think that is changing for younger generations. At the very least they have easy access to information about bisexuality.

18. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me the bi phase is that I can feel pretty straight one day and pretty gay the next. Sometimes it just sucks.

19. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel you there, it's really frustrating. Even when that happens though you're still bi, remembering that helps me stay sane.

There's actually a whole name for that whole thought process- it's called the 'bi cycle". Once you recognize you're in it, that cycle is easier to stop.

#19 TinyWerewolf, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  20. eron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not so sure I had a "bi-phase," as much as it was an acknowledgment of my past relationships and sexual experience with the opposite sex. In the distant past, I had some decent relationships and great sex with women, but, as time pressed on, and I further accepted my same-sex desire and a loss of interest in sex with women, it seemed more appropriate to identify as gay. Maybe it was inner bargaining, but felt more like trying to not diminish my past, if that makes sense?