1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beyonce in Dubai - the aftermath

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Incoming, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never resort to celebrity chit-chat to procrastinate (bills to pay, laundry basket overflowing, snow unshoveled etc). But I have heard that Hollywood gossip sites are great for that, if I was the sort of spineless person who can't just do what needs to get done.

* Some Beyonce fans think she should have taken a closer look at Dubai's anti-gay record *

https://hollywoodunlocked.com/beyon...releasing-queer-influenced-renaissance-album/

So if you love Beyonce's music, like I do, is this really such a big deal ? I kinda agree with with the person in the article (which I did not read) who says, "Why do y’all expect celebrities to have the same moral compass as y’all just because you like them?"

On the other hand, as this article points out, Beyonce leaned on queer culture alot in her most recent album, plus girlfriend is already drowning in $$$ - so what's up with that ?

I also recall that lots of JK Rowling's fans felt betrayed by her views. To the point were some artisans are creating and selling editions of her books that don't have the author's name on it...

Anyway, it's been great procrastinating with you.

#1 Incoming, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Am I surprised? No, not in the slightest. I think Beyonce's commitment to anything beyond herself and her own career has always been pretty shallow. I'm surprised at liberal news outlets being so surprised. They'd probably fooled themselves into thinking that she was some sort of progressive avatar..

See also David Beckham taking the Qatari dollar as an 'ambassador'.

If you're looking for heroes, look elsewhere..

Beth

#2 chicodeoro, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  3. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really surprised that she performs in Dubai. I doubt she has a real commitment to any activism besides paying lip service. I don't really listen to Beyonce anyways...but I'm not surprised by celebrities saying one thing and doing another. They always say it's best to never meet your heroes...I don't know what else to say here. Sad and disappointed but not surprised.