1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Genderqueer While Also Identifying with Being Cis

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Odyssey, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Odyssey

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm very very new to this whole forum thing, but I've reached a point in my life where I don't talk about this, I'm gonna explode. I'm literally sitting in the dark right now, blasting girl in red into my eardrums, trying to figure out what's going on with me.
    I present as female for the most part right now, with a tendency to veer on being androgynous. I have pretty long hair right now, but I used to have super short hair, thus playing into the whole gender ambiguity thing.I loved being a girl as a little kid, despite also loving being called a boy and dressing in boys clothes. When I got older, I hated being a girl, but I still knew I was one. It was never a question of different identity. I've at least reached a point in my life where I'm extremely comfortable with my sexuality, and I'm not afraid to share it. I'm known as the candid lesbian (and candid asexual to friends) to basically everyone around me. It's something I flaunt. I always thought my tomboy-ness and adoration for my gender being confusing to recognize as a child was just the precipice to me being gay, but it really doesn't seem that way anymore. I've always told myself that in an "ideal world" I'd be a genderless blob, but it's always something I've brushed off to worry about later. I still like being a girl quite a lot of the time, but I know that's not the entirety of me. I'm not trans, but I do still like being a boy sometimes. I'm in a weird limbo period where I'm not sure if I identify with every gender or no gender. I don't think I'm non-binary, because I don't always feel gender neutral, though it's easier to go by that. On the days where I feel particularly masculine or feminine I really hate it, because it's a binary that doesn't suit me. Yet a lot of the time, I'm perfectly being okay with being cis. I do often feel one gender or the other, despite my tendencies to live in that neutral area. I don't really know what that means for my gender - if it means I'm bigender or non-binary. It just feels so hard to put a label on it that fits it every day. If anyone's gone through this same gender limbo I have, do you have any advice? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. Theoislost

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello!
    I have a pretty similar experience as yours. Im afab and since i was young Ive bad very short hair. I first talked to friends about my bisexuality in elemantary school. Ever since Ive been going back and forth labelling myself as bisexual or pansexual. Anyway, only recently Ive started questionning my gender and it has been a mess. Like you, ive never really felt uncomfortable being a girl and referred to as one. And on some days being more boyish felt right. The label i found that fits me best is gender fluid. For me, that means that my gender changes almost every day and its exausting (not sure how to write that lol). I experience a lot of dysphoria and confusion and its not easy but I mean, what is? So im saying all of this to remind you that you arent alone and to suggest a label that so far has been working for me. Everyones journey is different. You are seen ♡

Theo

meowster likes this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Odyssey.....I'm sure that you have thought about this, but let me bring up the thought that you don't have to have a label. You don't have to find words to define who you are. You are YOU! A unique human being who is different in many ways while at the same time being similar in many ways to the rest of humanity. Some people really do need labels to help them find their place in the world - Me. I never felt like I belonged anywhere so when I accepted that I am and always have been gay, that label really was a huge help to me. But others find that a label only makes things worse for them. I don't know where you fit in that whole discussion, but please don't feel like you have to have a label and that you have to have it right now! :old_smile: If a label works for you - then wonderful! :old_big_grin: I am very happy for you! Just don't feel that you have to push yourself when it's not absolutely necessary! No matter what you are still a member of our wonderful LGBTQIA+ Family!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You do not have to take on any label that you do not feel comfortable with. I believe that labels are for communicating things about us to other people and they should neither define or confine us.

If you do not want to take on the label of trans you do not have to. If by saying that you are not trans you mean that you do not want to medically transition then that is different. I know a lot of people who identify as trans who have not and do not plan to medically transition. On the other hand I have medically transitioned and I do not use the label of trans, trans* or transgender.

This sounds a lot like the people who I have known who called themselves genderfluid, genderqueer or a label that includes profanity that I do not prefer.

Most of the people who I have known who feel outside the gender binary say that they all clump under non-binary - so genderfluid is nonbinary to them. Those who do not feel any gender that I have known used agender.

To me hating being a binary gender sounds like the very definition of non-binary.

You can use the label of being cis gender if that is what you want. If though by this you just mean that you do not want to medically transition then it is also fine to use the labels nonbinary and trans and still not medically transition. It is about being comfortable in being who you are and communicating what it is that makes you comfortable to other people.

Those who I have known who use the label of bigender experienced feeling one or the other binary gender at different times and since you say that you hate being a binary gender it sounds to me as if bigender would not really be the correct label to communicate your preferences. Non-binary and more specifically genderfluid or genderqueer or something like that sound closer. In the end it is entirely up to you which label that you use.

5. meowster

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have near the exact same experience as you!! Its such a relief to know i’m not the only one, this was super comforting.

6. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a kid I never felt like a boy or girl and just this past summer learned Non Binary fits me

meowster likes this.
  7. CatSpinner

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was little, I wanted to be a boy. It turned out to be a phase for me, because of my baby brother being in the picture and I was doing it for attention. When I entered adulthood, I enjoyed crossplaying male anime characters that look androgynous. Last week, I went to a second-hand store to try on male clothing. The size S mens clothing doesn't fit me right, because the back is way too big. In the end, I realized that I would not be a convincing male to people. Plus, I don't feel male at all. I currently feel both female and nonbinary.

As for advice, I say give it time to experiment with your gender identity some more. It's also good to read more about bigender and nonbinary, especially the experiences of people who are either one or both. There are tons of blogs online about that. :slight_smile:

meowster likes this.