1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a gay nerd

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Neutrality, Jun 26, 2012.

1. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least it's longer than Diablo III and better than Skyrim LOL

2. Another gaymer here, with a love of Doctor Who and talking psychology (former anime/manga freak). :icon_wink I attend a queer youth group for people aged 14-23, and quite a few have similar interests to mine. Everyone has covered what I wanted to say really, but just echoing: Don't worry, you'll definitely find a geeky, masculine guy out there for you!

A man after my own heart. :grin:

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is odd, because in my experience a lot of nerds are gay friendly. Certain kinds of gamers can be a little homophobic but generally, all around NERDS are accepting off a lot of stuff (I think it's because generally nerds get picked on; I've never been bullied because people suspect I'm gay, but I'm very nerdy and have lacking social skills and people used that as ammo).

Another interesting thing I've found is that a lot of people I know who are a lot 'cooler' then me, are closet nerds. It's a little hilarious, one of the most popular girls in my school (head student, knows literally EVERYONE, always stars in school plays, concerts, etc) is actually a really big nerd. She used to sit next to me in science and we'd talk about Doctor Who and Buffy, but in her own words she 'keeps her nerdyness under wraps'

4. Risque

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what you mean about being nerdy. Well, it's not so much that you're nerdy but you're intelligent and knowledgeable :slight_smile:

It seems like all the gay guys in my small town are either really, really dumb or way to old for me.

5. Kairez

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate to bump an old thread like this, but the OP's points resonate very strongly with me. At a glance, I'm fairly masculine myself — thick facial hair, unassuming voice. I'm also more interested in a long-term boyfriend as opposed to a hook-up. I'm in a smaller town, though I believe bigger than the OP's, and meeting like-minded guys feels like such an impossibility. It's daunting and disheartening.

I've had some success over the decade that I've been out and looking, but one was a guy I met in high school, and the other was a guy I met online who miraculously lived in the same city as I did but dumped me after a year and a half. They were nice, relatively geeky/nerdy guys, but the relationships just didn't work out in the end, and it feels like it'll be another decade before I can find a new relationship.

It's both comforting and depressing to know that there are others out there who are dealing with the same issues. It's nice that I'm not quite alone in this, but it sucks that they're as alone as I seem to be.

6. Alan Lewrie

Yeah same here, I'm not a comic nerd, but aside from that I fall into this category as well. My main interests are nothing like other people I meet, and of course I find a lot of over lapping interests with many people as well, but it would be nice to find someone who more than just overlaps. It would be nice to find someone period.

7. Kairez

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not into comic books, either. I wish I was, though, since I've really been recently noticing people who are into them — including that second ex I mentioned — and wish I could hop into their conversations. As a twenty-five-year-old who's never touched a comic book, though, there's just so much, and I'd never know where to begin. O.O

8. Alan Lewrie

Hehe, well the only guy I know who is into comic books is straight, and not the strongest of endorsements in their favour. The only comic books I've handled are the first five Futurama comics. But I know what you mean, a segment you can't get into for lack of familiarity. And it isn't worth it to try and get into something if you know it isn't for you, it'd be torture.

9. Alexander69

Nerd? Like nerd as in what? Likening cartoons or something? I would never call my self a nerd 1. I'm not that smart. I like to play games but they are not my life. But what do you all mean by nerd or geek? Like someone who is unsocial? Or someone who reads a lot for fun? Plays lots of games? Is super smart? If so I wish I was a nerd I want to be smart so bad people call me a male bimbo. I'm a very sexual person I used to want to be a stripper AHAH but that's degrading. I had people write slut all over my locker >:O ill never forget that! But if all those things categories for being a nerd/geek then sign me up!

10. Alan Lewrie

I'd say someone could fall under the label nerd or geek if they have one or more niche interests that set them apart, by choice or social hierarchy, from the majority of people. I enjoy vintage computers, reading for fun, especially historical fiction, playing the viola and PC games that most wouldn't ever have an interest in.

11. Alexander69

12. I'm more of a geek than a nerd, but I can definitely identify with the difficulty of meeting other guys.

I love anime, video games, D&D, writing, reading, internet forums :slight_smile:icon_wink), languages, culture, discussing some religion and philosophy and I don't really drink or go to clubs.

Needless to say, I'm the opposite of the average gay guy in my area. :lol:

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, geeks and nerds, yes, do have their little niches. But alot of them also do multiple things. For example:

I'm a fan of Pokemon, Doctor Who, TeamFourStar, Star Wars, Star Trek, almost every Steam/Valve game ever released, legos, and a plethora of shtuff I can't list off the top of my head, right now, except for The Who.

I also abridge anime, I'm in film school, I roleplay Fifty Fathoms (I'm pretty much a walrus :3), and I'm hoping to go into post-production.

14. burg

i love my chess philosophy history and sociology.i dont feel like a nerd tho but probably am

15. Valarie

Valarie Guest

Well not gay, but bi and also trans
    so i can definitely relate

now can i list all my nerdyness, geekyness, dorkyness, maybe but probably not

video games, board games, card games, star wars, star trek, stargate, pokemon, portal, plush Einstein, D&D, RPG, RTS, FPS, LOL (though havent played in awhile) warhammer, shadow run, nobilis, white wolf, iron heroes, home-brews, Sci-fi, fantasy, nonfiction woot (i read chemistry books for fun), chemistry, math, physics, science, big bang, through the wormhole, Dr. horrible, how i met your mother (not geeky but awesome show), Neil Patrick Harris, Jean-Luc Picard, Renfairs, Comicons, PAX, Anime/manga (not going to list them all too long), TMNT, Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, the hobbit, avatar (the air-bender kind), abridges series, darths and droids, order of the stick, TMNT Gaiden, song of ice and fire, the king killer chronicles, metal, folk metal, power metal, computers, excel, no VB, Java or C++ yet ...

you get the idea, name something geeky and I probably like it
    ^w^

#55 Valarie, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012
  16. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though my main interests are history, literature and film I don't think of myself as a 'nerd' [or maybe I'm just in denial?]

Just the same, partly because of my non-existent social life, as of now, I've also been worried about being able to meet other guys who share at least some of my interests where I am right now [don't know if it qualifies as a 'small' place, but the LGBT community does feel extremely discreet at times.]

17. aeva

I am surrounded by male nerds and geeks! I am the daughter of a man whose favorite book is about the history of the color blue. I am the ex-girlfriend of 4 men: 1 who is an engineer that works for NASA (specifically the Hubble scope), 1 who plays video games professionally (for some reason I currently have his Magic cards and Gamecube in my car), 1 who has drawers upon drawers of comic books and 1 who most of his free time LARPing or watching anime. When with my friends (all of whom are male), we spend most of our time playing video games or D&D, or watching sci-fi movies and tv shows. We tease each other constantly, but they are the most awesome group of friends I could ever ask for. Although I am the only LGBT member of our group of friends that hangs out on a regular basis, they are amazingly supportive, and have been since the beginning.

I don't usually consider myself a nerd, but when I take a good look at my interests, I suppose I am. My favorite place to be besides in from of my tv playing video games is up in the anatomy lab, playing with cadavers. I have an absurd amount of books, ranging from things like Hitchhikers Guide (my favorite book of all time) to vampire/werewolf lesbian romance novels, from medical journals to forensic studies. The coat hook next to my door holds my lab coat (which is now fittingly rainbow after I had a clumsy day while staining bacteria last week), goggles and stethoscope. My brain stores an insane number of completely useless facts that I excitedly explain to anybody unfortunate enough to bring up an even remotely related topic.

I also just realized I watched 3 x-men movies today while doing a lab report on the oxygen requirements of different microorganisms (microorganisms that I spent several hours messing with this morning).

18. SillyRomantic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For both my best friend's sake and yours, I wish you lived somewhere closer. I think you and him would get along quite well. :wink:

19. qboy

Ha ha! Another one in IT - although just to throw the stats somewhat AFAIK I'm the only non-straight guy in our IT department.
    All the guys outside the IT department who are based in our office on the other hand are gay :thewave:

Spending my time off ill (inbetween taking on fluids and having naps) building myself a PVR with the satellite tuner downstairs and the terrestrial one upstairs across three computers, including one where the case is made out of Lego - Not at all geeky :help:

20. CountessAbby

My son is a 16 year old total nerd who is also gay. He is into zero sports and he is on the honor society in school, he loves video games and computer stuff. He is loved by all his teachers and has no interest in outdoorsy things at all. He loves funny TV shows like Scrubs, Big Bang Theory and How I Met your Mother...he seems to have a lot of friends but I worry about him going to college. He enjoys guitar a lot and also the violin but is not into comic figures or comic books. Its got to be hard to meet gay people no matter who you are, nerd or not...but they definately exist. The only trophy he has ever won is in Chess! Love who you are and celebrate your individuality is what I say. And best of luck finding someone who appreciates your qualities.