1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Behavioral or personality changes

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Bastion, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,

Haven’t posted here in a while. Still trying to get through difficult times and find answers.

So this came to mind recently and got me thinking about some matters that happened two years ago. When I felt kind of derailed. I behaved in a manner contrary I think to my usual self. So my question is this can some experiences or biological factors related to age or some medications or supplement interaction lead to behavioral or personality changes or even maybe attractions?

2. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What derailed you, if I could ask?

I think attractions do change over time. I am gay, and attracted to men, but certain things I used to not find attractive, I now find attractive and really appreciate, and other things less so. I'm 19, so this might not be helpful. But for example, I used to not pay much attention to a person's voice. I used to not think about how they sound. But now, I think about how different people say different words, or questions. I think some guys say certain in things in really attractive ways.

I can't really answer but maybe this helps

3. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread. The derailment issue is complicated it can be Relationship problems, family problems and stress from work. Also losing old friendships. I don’t really know how attractions are formed but I’ve heard from many people single or in relationship. That a lot of things in a person can change including attractions and preferences every ten years or so. What am not sure of is to what extent that change can be and will it be a permanent change or just that people go through different phases throughout their lives.

4. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok. If you're feeling derailed, it's ok if you don't act like yourself. You don't need to be you all the time! I mean, I think a lot of people act differently depending on circumstances. Also, if you're talking about sexuality, I don't really think it changes, but I think people learn more about themselves as time goes on.

I'm sure other members will have advice too

Bastion likes this.
  5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not an expert but I do have some experience with such things though much of what I can say on the subject here is anecdotal or drawn from memory of things I have read in the past.

I myself have had major changes in my attitude, feelings and behaviors. While under high stress I can seemingly change into a different person, I have been diagnosed with DID (this used to be called multiple personality), I am not suggesting this for you but just showing that there are ways that it can happen.
    My brother was diagnosed with epilepsy and was put on different medications. When he was tried on the first one my mother said it changed him into a different person. He became angry and violent even attacking our youngest brother.
    I have also heard of other people having such difficulties from other medical problems or medications.

As far as actual sexuality I agree that it does not really change but our understanding of ourselves does change. Also personal taste probably varies due to experiences, if you try dating or being in a relationship with someone and the experience is really awful you might find yourself avoiding people who resemble that person for a while (avoidance of seriously unpleasant things is actually an evolutionary trait). My own understanding of my sexuality has changed a lot over the years.

Bastion likes this.
  6. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have experienced my "usual self" being altered by "me" trying to discover who I innately am - a gay man.

Disclaimer: I'm not a psephologist. Just a person who takes good notes and studies (reads) a lot.
    I have noted there is confusion. There is also depression. There may also be low self esteem. I have also had conscious omission with the subconscious raising hell that it's holding something back. Oh the covering up, bastard. I call cover up rattling my cage, but usually I do not know why the subconscious is rattling my cage. If you are lucky, what ever your subconscious is holding back will come to your conscious in the form of a flashback or revaluation moment. (What is a revelation moment? Where you have total clarity to events in your past and your present - state of mind - for one.)

And now lately I've observed two additional phenomena. a) The lessening of numbness. Search on my past posts on numbness - there are good threads on this subject. b) And the latest, are we ready ring master, being able to put 2 + 2 together more easily. This phenomena falls into the category of cOnFuSiOn.

So yes all the above alters one's behavior, sometimes greatly.

7. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @QuietPeace

Thank you for your honesty and your helpful reply to my thread. I think you understand the subtlety in others. I have read some of your other posts and they each approach issues with understanding and kindness.

All what you wrote here makes sense in a way. But the points you bring up in the last paragraph I think are the most poignant.